Baby Names

Persephonie

DH is in love with Persephone or Persephonie.....for a girl

It's OK, and I hesitate to completely veto it, because he really loves it.

What do you think?

I think part of my problem is feeling sorry for the poor girl who will have to spell out her name all the time. My married name is one that I automatically start spelling it out. 

Also, my Grandma, my mom and I all have the same middle name, so I wanted to pass that on, and I kinda think Persephone Faye doesn't work.

Re: Persephonie

• I actually love this name,but the minute it came out of my mouth DH was laughing.Personally,I like it.I do agree with you though that it doesn't flow well with Faye,and if that is important to you,then I would see what DH thinks about another name that goes better.Good luck!

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

T1 diabetes diagnosed 11/95 due to severe pancreatic injury
    BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,
    Pleural effusion, Kidney Failure
    BFP 2 4/26/12 EDD 1/3/13 M/C 5/13/12
    BFP 3 10/3/12 EDD 6/17/13 Twins! Preston and Juliet b. 5/22/13

• To be honest, I think it is awful. And the kindergarten teacher in me shudders imagining the poor girl having to learn to write that.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageWishLuckyStar:
    To be honest, I think it is awful. And the kindergarten teacher in me shudders imagining the poor girl having to learn to write that.

Agree.

• imageserwin08:

imageWishLuckyStar:
    To be honest, I think it is awful. And the kindergarten teacher in me shudders imagining the poor girl having to learn to write that.

Agree.

Double agree.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like Persephonie - but I agree that it doesn't really work well with Faye.
  • I think it is pretty.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I like it :) But I'd probably go with the traditional spelling (Persephone)
  • I actually like Persephone (spelt traditionally). I disagree with pp about the spelling, I don't believe in dumbing down kids names. But then I named my daughter Elizabeth.

I think Persephone Faye is ok. My real issue with Persephone is that I think she'd end up being nn Percy, and that's not ok for me. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• imageckmommy:
    imageserwin08:

imageWishLuckyStar:

Agree.

Double agree.

Triple agree. It looks and sounds horrible.

BTW, I looove your fur baby Mr. Milo.  He's a cutie :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Looks and sounds horrible. Plus it has the word "phone" in it. 
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• imagelauren_mpenny:
    I like it :) But I'd probably go with the traditional spelling (Persephone)

This.

And I think Persephone Faye works.  :-)

• I couldn't use it even though it's a cool name. The traditional spelling is much better. Persephone.

I would think pomegranate! pomegranate! every time I saw it. I also don't know I'd want to name my daughter after the queen of the underworld/bride of hades.

imageimage

• I think it's a brave name to use...it's pretty but you may have pronunciation problems.  I like the traditional spelling (Persephone), but there may be folks who have no idea how it's supposed to sound.

I went to college with a girl named Calliope.  Her own mother called her Kal-ee-ope (rhymes with scope).  

My DH's father met them at some parent function and kept calling her by the correct pronunciation  (Ka-lie-o-pee) just because he felt that they needed to be educated...they never got the message!

ETA:  sorry if I don't have the correct phonetic spellings...I'm new at this.

image 30 y/o with PCOS HSG normal, SA essentially normal (slightly low morph but good # and motility) 50 mg Clomid...zip; 100 mg Clomid...nada; 150 mg Clomid...zilch 1/10 Injectable cycle with Gonal-F, Ovidrel, and TI.....Beta 2/22...BFN 2/10 Injectable cycle with Gonal-F and Follistim (long story), Ovidrel..BFN 4/10 Injectable cycle (see above). BFP but early m/c 5w5d. 5/10 Break cycle due to BFC (Big Fat Cyst)...darn it all 6/10 Injectable cycle +IUI...BFN 7/10 Injectable cycle + IUI.....BFP!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I understand finding an uncommon name for your child, but that is awful. It actually made me laugh.  It isn't a pretty name to say or write and she will have to spell it out all the time.  Chances are she will hate it. 
  • Don't like it.  Dont' like the way it looks, either.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I love Persephone. I love Antigone (An-Tig-oh-Knee). I love Daphne. I love all names like that.

I would go for it. Leave out the i though.

• imagej_luvs_r:

imagelauren_mpenny:

This.

All of this.

Personally, it's NMS, but it's definitely better than all of the silly made-up names nowadays.  And for a name out of Greek mythology, I'd say Persephone is one of the better known--anyone with a high school education should know how to pronounce/spell this. 

• My Dh really likes the name as well.  We just couldn't find a nickname that we'd be ok with. 
  • I actually like it, only when spelled Persephone. I think it's silly to worry about kids learning to spell their names - if that were the case my parents should have changed my uberGreek last name before kindergarten.That said, I think  you need a certain kind of last name to pull this off. It's a very big name, and it won't work with just anything IMO.  And I agree it doesn't really work with the MN Faye.
  • imageQuiltingBee:

I think it's a brave name to use...it's pretty but you may have pronunciation problems.  I like the traditional spelling (Persephone), but there may be folks who have no idea how it's supposed to sound.

I went to college with a girl named Calliope.  Her own mother called her Kal-ee-ope (rhymes with scope).  

My DH's father met them at some parent function and kept calling her by the correct pronunciation  (Ka-lie-o-pee) just because he felt that they needed to be educated...they never got the message!

the correct (greek) pronunciation is actually neither :) It's Kah-lee-OH-pee. 

• I love it with the e, not the ie, ending.  And I don't particularly like it with Faye.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageQuizzle:

I couldn't use it even though it's a cool name. The traditional spelling is much better. Persephone.

I would think pomegranate! pomegranate! every time I saw it. I also don't know I'd want to name my daughter after the queen of the underworld/bride of hades.

This! I just had a flashback to Greek mythology in 4th Grade- our play was Persephone and the Pomegranate. If a girl in my class had been named Persephone, she would have been teased mercilessly and called "Queen of the Underworld" (it would have gotten worse in high school). Its a cool name, but I see it being an issue later on.

• imageWishLuckyStar:

I like names from Greek mythology. I don't think learning to write Persephone is any harder for a child than, say, Elizabeth or Samantha.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageEastCoastBride:
    Don't like it.  Dont' like the way it looks, either.

me neither

• ctanactana member

imagewife1014:
    I understand finding an uncommon name for your child, but that is awful. It actually made me laugh.  It isn't a pretty name to say or write and she will have to spell it out all the time.  Chances are she will hate it. 

I am so sorry but I agree with wife1014. My own name is Cara and everyone butchered it growing up (Cora, Clare, Carol, etc) This one is like 10x worse. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like it!!  The only issue may be with pronouncing it...
  • imagescoutkate:

And for a name out of Greek mythology, I'd say Persephone is one of the better known--anyone with a high school education should know how to pronounce/spell this. 

I agree. I like it and wouldn't worry too much about the spelling issue (go with Persephone, not Persephonie).

If your husband loves it, but you aren't completely sold, you might try suggesting similar names that are a little more common or familiar. What about Penelope? Or Hermione (all the kids would know how to say it!)? Perhaps he could be talked into Phoebe, though I imagine that Chloe and Zoe are too popular for someone who likes Persephone.

• I like it. I see how it's no different than spelling out Penelope or Calliope (also Greek names). I think the story of Persephone in Greek Mythology is lovely. She's the one who ate the pomegranate seeds and had to spend part of the year (winter) with Hades.
    DS 12/18/2011
    DD 8/28/2014
    DD 5/24/2016, stillborn at 40 weeks
  • I knew a girl named Persephone. Do your child a favor and spell it with the "ie" on the end. My own dad teased her and called her per-sa-phone because of how it's spelled.
    kolney Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's horrible.  If you like it that much, use it for a middle name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsWindyCity:
    imageQuiltingBee:

I think it's a brave name to use...it's pretty but you may have pronunciation problems.  I like the traditional spelling (Persephone), but there may be folks who have no idea how it's supposed to sound.

the correct (greek) pronunciation is actually neither :) It's Kah-lee-OH-pee. 

I stand corrected! 

image 30 y/o with PCOS HSG normal, SA essentially normal (slightly low morph but good # and motility) 50 mg Clomid...zip; 100 mg Clomid...nada; 150 mg Clomid...zilch 1/10 Injectable cycle with Gonal-F, Ovidrel, and TI.....Beta 2/22...BFN 2/10 Injectable cycle with Gonal-F and Follistim (long story), Ovidrel..BFN 4/10 Injectable cycle (see above). BFP but early m/c 5w5d. 5/10 Break cycle due to BFC (Big Fat Cyst)...darn it all 6/10 Injectable cycle +IUI...BFN 7/10 Injectable cycle + IUI.....BFP!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I LOVE Persephone, it's beautiful. 

When I was little, I was really into mythology, and I told my mom I wanted to name my children Psyche and Arachne... at the time I just thought they were pretty, which I still think, but I could never do that to a kid!

I think most people will know how to pronounce it. She may have to spell it out sometimes, but honestly, most kids do, even kids with the most mundane names.

And please spell it without the i! 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love this name (traditional spelling)!  If kids called me the "Queen of the Underworld" I would think that's awesome! 

I agreed that it depends upon your last name, though, in terms of whether it can support an awesome name like Persephone!  

IMHO, middle names are really just a way to honor someone.  As so few people even know someone's middle name, unless you're doing it where the first and middle name is always used, like with "Mary Grace," I wouldn't worry too much about "flow."   

• imageQuizzle:

I couldn't use it even though it's a cool name. The traditional spelling is much better. Persephone.

THIS!! The whole Hades thing turns me off of the name.

But I do like the name...for one of my pets. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yes, she was married to Hades but she was also Goddess of the Spring.

I like it, but only the traditional spelling.

• imagej_luvs_r:

imagelauren_mpenny:

This.

I agree with all of the above.  With a long name like Persephone, you have to use a short, simple middle name (IMO) and I think Faye fits that bill perfectly.  If you paired that with a short one syllable name like Claire Faye it would sound choppy.

• I do think it's pretty, but rather hard to spell .. and doesn't go well with Faye ... what about Penelope Faye? It's similar, easier to spell and goes nicely with Faye.
  • personally I love it!!! Really why do all the teachers have to post negative comments- just because you deal with way to many kids as your chosen profession doesn't mean you have to be rude because you don't want to spell out their names....sorry rant over!

I love that name and i think Persy would be a good nn for her.  Goodluck with whatever you decide.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagesweet1600s:

I LOVE Persephone, it's beautiful. 

When I was little, I was really into mythology, and I told my mom I wanted to name my children Psyche and Arachne... at the time I just thought they were pretty, which I still think, but I could never do that to a kid!

I think most people will know how to pronounce it. She may have to spell it out sometimes, but honestly, most kids do, even kids with the most mundane names.

And please spell it without the i! 

Agreed, spelled traditionally it is a lovely name and one that I would think most educated people would find at least somewhat familiar. And really the story is a nice one, even if it involves the underworld - it is also the explanation for the seasons which really is nice.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"