Houston Babies
Options

Don't wake a sleeping baby?

So, we change DD diaper before and after each feeding which usually causes her to wake up again and need to be settled (either with a little more nursing or just rocking) to get back to sleep. Once asleep, we sometimes hear her poop again about 15-30 minutes later. So, we change her for fear of diaper rash and end up with a wide awake baby again.

Are we doing the right thing or should we let her sleep even though we hear that she's likely pooped (and sometimes it ends up just being gas or a teensy tiny amount so we woke her for nothing)?

Re: Don't wake a sleeping baby?

• Options
    How long does she go before her next wake up?  If it's only another hour or two I'd be inclined to leave her be.  Just make sure the slather on some diaper rash cream preventatively.  
  • Options

imagesavannah11:
    How long does she go before her next wake up?  If it's only another hour or two I'd be inclined to leave her be.  Just make sure the slather on some diaper rash cream preventatively.  

She wakes every 2-4 hours for feedings...so she'd be in the diaper for up to three hours. We do slather on Dr. Smith's just to be safe.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't wake her unless she's getting diaper rash. Since you are bf'ing she probably isn't?
  • Options

C never pooped while he was asleep.  So I'm no help there.

But we would change him between boobs while he nursed.  I think DH would change him first, bring him to me, we'd nurse for a while then he'd change him again and we just put him down after the second boob.  After he got a little older, we would just change before nursing and put him back down. 

• Options
    Why do you need to change your LO before and after a feeding, I use to just change her before then after she woke up.  She's never had diaper rash.
  • Options

imageKennifer7:
    Why do you need to change your LO before and after a feeding, I use to just change her before then after she woke up.  She's never had diaper rash.

That's what they had us to in the hospital. She already got pretty bad diaper rash about day 5 or 6 due to my eating too much acidic food so we're a little paranoid now.

• Options
    I wouldn't wake her, unless you can obviously tell if it's a blow out or something.  I would be pissed to change her just to find out it was gas, and have to deal with an awake baby!.  I agree with pp - to just keep slathering on cream for preventative.  DS rarely gets diaper rash, so I am no help.
  • Options
    If Mason was sleeping, even during feeding, we only changed him if he was dirty. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Options

dd had a diaper rash in the nicu and they had us changing her every two hours, regardless of whether or not she was awake. we learned to do it pretty quickly and she'd go back to sleep with a little soothing.

when she was about 3-4 weeks she got one so bad that she was raw and we had to do it again. 

bm is like a pipe snake - totally cleans them out! if she's consistently going after each feeding i'd just try to keep her awake until she does. otherwise i'd just change her before and let her go until she loads another diaper. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I only change before the feeding and not after (unless she pooped while feeding).  if that's the case, I stop the feeding and change her and continue the feeding again. 

If she poops randomly, then change her because it will cause a diaper rash.  To make sure it's poop, I normally just stick my nose on her diaper area and sniff (gross, but I rather do that than have a baby wide awake for no reason!).  But I would change any poopy diaper even if it's a tiny amount. 

Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • Options
    imageLisaK2b:

I only change before the feeding and not after (unless she pooped while feeding).  if that's the case, I stop the feeding and change her and continue the feeding again. 

If she poops randomly, then change her because it will cause a diaper rash.  To make sure it's poop, I normally just stick my nose on her diaper area and sniff (gross, but I rather do that than have a baby wide awake for no reason!).  But I would change any poopy diaper even if it's a tiny amount. 

this

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"