Indiana Babies

Credit Report Question

So after 3 years of not running one, our banker suggested we do them when we refi'd our car loan. I did  mine today and I have a question about the accounts that I've closed. They're still listed on the report and I closed them a few years ago....how long will they stay listed on there? Also, I've heard that we should call and lower the limits on some of our cards...what is a good limit (you don't have to answer if this is too personal)? I just didn't know if there was a 'known' good limit?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Credit Report Question

• Closed accounts will remain listed for several years, but I'm not sure of the total number of years until they fall off.  I've had some closed accounts on my credit report from law school (utility accounts and such) and I graduated 7 years ago, but a few of the accounts are even older than that.

You only need to reduce your available credit on your credit cards if the amount of available credit you currently have is listed as a negative on your report. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think things stay on your credit history for 7 years.

As far as credit limits go, when we were looking at purchasing our house, our higher credit limit accounts with $0 balances improved our overall rating. It showed we had a good debt-to-available-credit ratio, and regularly paid the account off. Not sure if that's changed with the state of the economy or not...?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • imageIU_baby:

You only need to reduce your available credit on your credit cards if the amount of available credit you currently have is listed as a negative on your report. 

I'm sorry could you explain this a little more? Would it actually say it is negative somewhere on the credit report?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just saw something on tv that said closed accounts show up for 10 years!  Seems like a loooong time to me.
  • imageholdn5:
    imageIU_baby:

I'm sorry could you explain this a little more? Would it actually say it is negative somewhere on the credit report?

They will usually only tell you this information if you requested your credit score.

If you got a credit report that reveals your credit score, it should tell you the factors that made up your score.  It will list the positives you have as well as the negatives.  If one of the negative factors is too much available credit, it may be a good idea reduce your available credit.  If it is not listed as a negative, I would not worry about reducing the available credit unless your broker advises it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"