Working Moms

Sneaking over from 2T-Teachers who are BF?

Good morning! I hope you ladies don't mind me sneaking over to ask you a quick question. Have any of you teachers breastfed or are you currently breastfeeding? I'm just curious how you plan the time to pump. I know that the schedules are pretty inflexible, and I'm trying to work out how I'll do it and I'm looking for ideas.

TIA!

Re: Sneaking over from 2T-Teachers who are BF?

• I have only been back at work two weeks (and am on spring break this week!) but I am pumping at work and it is HARD.

I am going to give you the reality, b/c I was not prepared for how hard it actually is.  It IS doable though, and I think I will eventually get into my groove.

Right now, I pump first thing in the morning (5 am).  I NEED that milk to have enough for DD during the day because I don't pump enough at work.  I then nurse her before I leave for the day (615)

This was my plan:  I pump at 915 when my kids are at recess.  I pump at 1130 (lunch) and 200 (specials).   If I have professional development or conferences, I will pump right after school.  Otherwise, I get home and feed her by 4.

With that being said, I have only been able to pump all three of those times during the day like three days of the ten days I have been back at work.  There isn't enough time to conference with other teachers, attend IEP meetings, gather materials, set up, etc, and pump every time the kids are out of the room.  I am also pumping in my office (while I am lucky to have one, it connects my classroom with another) so I can constantly hear either my kids or the kids next door.  It stresses me out so then I can't get any milk.  Plus, each of those three times - I only end up having about 10-15 minutes to set up, pump, take my milk to the fridge, and rinse my pump parts.  I need 15 minutes of solid pumping to get a good, solid amount of milk.

This is what is working for me:

I use the hands free - hair-tie set up from kellymom.com.  That way I can at least answer emails or catch up on documentation while I pump.

I have three sets of pump parts and just keep them in a plastic bag in the fridge and clean them when I get home.

I take my hooter hider so I don't have to worry about anyone opening the office door and getting a peep show :)

I am wearing lots of tank tops and cardigans for easy access.

Like I said, it is hard - much harder than I anticipated.  But it is also doable and worth it.  GL! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That's *exactly* what I was wanting to know. With DS, it was difficult to pump, and if I didn't pump right when I needed to, I ended up leaking a lot. As it is with my schedule now, I have a plan during the second hour of the day, and then lunch... That's a lot of time after that where I'll probably need to pump... Thank you so much for filling me in!
  • Loading the player...
  • I nurse DD before I leave for work in the morning (~730), pump at 10am recess, nurse or pump on my lunch break at 1130, and then pump again when the kids leave at 245.  I have a mini fridge in my room so any expressed milk and my pump parts go in there. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"