Nurseries and Baby Gear

If you are using a dresser w/ a changing top

How are you going about fastening the changing pad/top to the dresser?

We have used a regular changing table for DD for the last 2 yrs, but we got a dresser and a chest of drawers (that aren't baby/kid furniture) that we are moving into the nursery (which will eventually be shared) so we are going to ditch the changing table. 

I really don't want to drill into top of the dresser and was wondering if there was some special thing I had to buy to do this...

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: If you are using a dresser w/ a changing top

• LCB34LCB34 member

I plan to put some of that no slip drawer liner/ cabinet liner stuff on the bottom of the changing pad.  I have no clue what it is really called.

• We are doing this too. I looked at the changing pad top this weekend at BRU, and all of them had 2 straps that could attached to the back of the dresser. You just screwed them into the dresser back and it was attached. When you disconnect it, there will be 2 tiny holes in the back of the dresser and you won't see them. There was also one brand that had a non-slip bottom too--I can't remember the brand though.
  • Loading the player...
  • You can put a piece of non-stick (raised drawer liner, stuff you put under carpets, etc) under the changing pad
  • imageLCB34:

I plan to put some of that no slip drawer liner/ cabinet liner stuff on the bottom of the changing pad.  I have no clue what it is really called.

This. We're using the same grip stuff we have in our kitchen cabinets.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLCB34:

I plan on doing this too.  I don't know what it's called either but it's the same stuff you put under rugs to keep them from moving.

• Thanks ladies! 

As part of our spring cleaning I am actually taking tons of that drawer liner stuff out of our cabinets and replacing it with cork contact paper stuff- so I should have plenty of it to cut up and use.  Also I might look into the thing @ BRU.  

We have bought so little new stuff for baby #2 I don't mind picking up something that might make our lives a little easier. 

• We have a dresser with a changing top from PBK, and the delivery guy drilled in screws to attach the changing top to the dresser.  But I noticed this weekend that the changing pad also has two straps that attach to the changing top.  We haven't drilled these screws in yet.  It seems kind of redundant, but I want to be safe about this...

• I was planning on getting that no-slip liner to put underneath the changing pad - but our pad seems to already have it - I can barely get it to budge, it really seems to "grip" the top of the dresser. It also has the straps that you can drill into the back for extra security.
  • I just use the pad on the floor.  It is much safer, baby can't fall off.
  • imagemommabluej:
    I just use the pad on the floor.  It is much safer, baby can't fall off.

Yeah- I definitely can't be bending over @ this point to change my DD- and I had some back issues after delivering her 2 yrs ago, so I need something that will keep me from bending over like that. 

• imageLCB34:

This.  It works really well.

• I bought a dresser that is also a changing table from JCPenny. I was really upset at first because the directions had you drill two holes on the top of the dresser to secure the changing part. Luckily my DH came up with another solution. He bought these L shaped brackets and screwed them into the back of the dresser and changing top. It worked perfect and now we can take them off and just have a dresser once we are done with the changing table funtion.

My friend bought a similar dresser/changing top from BRU and hers drilled into the back. JCPenny's is just dumb I guess! She did suggest putting some felt under the changing top so it doesn't scratch the dresser top.

ETA: I see that you might be talking about using just a pad. I was talking about an actual four sided wood piece that matches the dresser and is attached to the top to make it a changing table. Then it comes off when you just want a dresser.

• The furniture store where we ordered our set from told us to drill holes in the back of the dresser for the changing pad not on top.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"