Nurseries and Baby Gear

Stroller Travel System

I am so overwhelmed with my search in the perfect stroller. I originally wanted a jogging travel system, but they are too heavy and bulky for my small car, so I started to look for a stroller travel system, but there are so many out there. I am torn between the Chicco and the Graco travel systems. Which do you think is better? I really don't see a difference only that the Chicco is about 100.00 plus more. Please give me your input.

Re: Stroller Travel System

• I'm not doing a travel system. I'll be doing an infant carseat and a snap and go stroller vs a bulky travel system. I'll purchase a decent lightweight stroller when DS is old enough to use a lightweight stroller vs a carseat.

You may want to look into snap and go options if you are wanting to avoid bulky in your small car.

• I struggle with this too! I couldn'tdecide on the Graco stylus or quattro, bottom line is... too not get caught up in all of the "features" and reviews like I did. I was obsessed with research and reviews. I ended up going with the pattern I loved and it was on sale!

Came in last week and we are happy so far :)  I know it's tough because you won't know if you like it until you actually use it.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am considering getting this stroller, which this carseat can snap into.  I keep reading that the stroller part of the travel systems are in the 25-30 lb range, are hard to maneuver, etc.  This combo would be more expensive but would serve the same purpose and the stroller weighs less than 19 lbs.

A plain stroller frame + infant carrier is also an option for us, but I think the above mentioned combo is how I'm leaning...

• I give the same advice to all new moms, don't buy your "forever" stroller just yet, wait it out until after baby arrives.  Pick out your infant seat, buy the stroller frame that it will fit into (they are like $50), it pretty much just holds the seat, nothing special.  Get a good feel for your needs in a stroller after the baby gets here, trust me when I say this, what you *think* you need in a stroller pre-baby will most likely not be what you need post-baby.   I did this, I waited, I used my stroller frame with Graco car seat for 2 months, got a feel for what I wanted and bought my stroller.  What I thought I wanted before the baby was sooooooo not what I ended up buying.   It was worth waiting to make sure I made the correct decision as strollers can be pricey.
    Booze, it's what's for dinner imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birth - 7 lbs. 7 oz., 20 inches 1 Month - 9 lbs., 5 oz, 21 inches 2 Months - 11 lbs., 4.5 oz, 23 inches 4 Months - 14 lbs, 1 oz, 26.5 inches 6 months - 16 lbs, 1 oz, 28.75 inches 9 months - 18 lbs, 6 oz, 29.25 inches 1 Year - 21 lbs, 6 oz, 31 inches 2 Years - 28 lbs., 37 inches
  • I went with the Chicco KeyFit in the Luna pattern. I was considering the Graco Quattro as well. I went into the store and "played" with both and based my decision on what worked best/easiest for me. I think it comes down to personal preference. Both brands are good...Chicco does have better safety ratings on CR.
  • ediloedilo member
    imagealmostjones:

I am considering getting this stroller, which this carseat can snap into.  I keep reading that the stroller part of the travel systems are in the 25-30 lb range, are hard to maneuver, etc.  This combo would be more expensive but would serve the same purpose and the stroller weighs less than 19 lbs.

A plain stroller frame + infant carrier is also an option for us, but I think the above mentioned combo is how I'm leaning...

I think we're also going with the Graco Metrolite and Graco snugride carseat. We considered the snap 'n go frame, but for the money, we would rather have a stroller that can be a back-up if necessary than a frame we wouldn't be able to use after the baby outgrows the carseat. It is lightweight, folds reasonably small (not as small as a regular umbrella stroller), but was a much smoother ride than the Graco Mosaic (which you can also snap a carseat into  - folds up smaller, but weighs about the same), and is not as expensive as many others.  Good Luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ediloedilo member

imageJillBean78:
    I give the same advice to all new moms, don't buy your "forever" stroller just yet, wait it out until after baby arrives.  Pick out your infant seat, buy the stroller frame that it will fit into (they are like $50), it pretty much just holds the seat, nothing special.  Get a good feel for your needs in a stroller after the baby gets here, trust me when I say this, what you *think* you need in a stroller pre-baby will most likely not be what you need post-baby.   I did this, I waited, I used my stroller frame with Graco car seat for 2 months, got a feel for what I wanted and bought my stroller.  What I thought I wanted before the baby was sooooooo not what I ended up buying.   It was worth waiting to make sure I made the correct decision as strollers can be pricey.

If you don't mind saying... which stroller did you think you'd want (before baby) and what did you eventually end up with? (after using the stroller frame that is) TIA

• I'm struggling with this too and it's so overwhelming! There are way too many options. I like what was said about not buying your "forever stroller"...this takes a little pressure off! I was going to get a travel system, but I think I'm just going to go with 2 separates...with the pattern that I like.
  • imageJillBean78:
    I give the same advice to all new moms, don't buy your "forever" stroller just yet, wait it out until after baby arrives.  Pick out your infant seat, buy the stroller frame that it will fit into (they are like $50), it pretty much just holds the seat, nothing special.  Get a good feel for your needs in a stroller after the baby gets here, trust me when I say this, what you *think* you need in a stroller pre-baby will most likely not be what you need post-baby.   I did this, I waited, I used my stroller frame with Graco car seat for 2 months, got a feel for what I wanted and bought my stroller.  What I thought I wanted before the baby was sooooooo not what I ended up buying.   It was worth waiting to make sure I made the correct decision as strollers can be pricey.

This is exactly what we decided.  I just don't feel qualified to make this decision yet!  I wanted the baby to be able to face me but the flip it is just so bulky and heavy.  I looked at the metrolite but I don't like the fabric.

TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This has been my biggest head ache for a LONG time. Our final decision is the Chicco Keyfit30 and Cortina Stroller. We went to BRU and were able to take it out the our car and try out the Graco Stylus, Metrolite, Quattro Tour, Snugride32 and 35, and the Chicco Keyfit30 and Cortina Stroller.

We ended up with the Chicco Keyfit30 for a few reasons: 

The LATCH system was a million times easier to install and remove. There is a lever type system to unhook it, compared to the Graco, where you have to manually dig down in the seat to unlatch. It was so difficult that we planned on buying 3 bases, 1 for each car and then one to use in friends/family cars if needed.

The locking mechanism on the Keyfit30 felt much more secure (when attaching to the stroller). The Gracos only lock on to the front tray, and then have little string things to attach to the back, whereas, the Chicco actually locks in to the front and the back.

The stroller broke down much more compact and was lighter.  We have a BMW335 and could barely get the Gracos in the trunk...and there was zero room for anything else. The Graco was awkward to lift in to the trunk. The Chicco was a piece of cake and left enough room for a bag or two and the pack n play (or golf clubs).

The stroller opened and closed easier. The Gracos either closed to the ground, or closed standing up, but the tray drug on the ground, scratching the tray and leaving rough spots of plastic. We sound the Chicco much easier to use.

Chicco got great ratings in BOTH Baby Bargains AND Consumer Reports. I also ambushed a few mom's in BRU with the stroller/seat system and they all loved it.

So in the end, we went with this set called Cubes (only sold separately) because I did not like the color combos on the travel systems at BRU.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Food Allergies to Eggs, Milk, Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Beef
    Challenged Soy and tolerated it.
  • imageedilo:

imageJillBean78:

If you don't mind saying... which stroller did you think you'd want (before baby) and what did you eventually end up with? (after using the stroller frame that is) TIA

I was all about the BOB Revolution pre-baby, it was really what I thought I needed and wanted.  I am soooooo glad I did not buy it before we had the baby, it was not anywhere close to what I needed or wanted in a stroller.  I ended up (after much debate) with a Bugaboo Frog, it is what fit our needs the best.  I couldn't be happier with my decision.  We walk a ton, I'm not a jogger so once the baby got here I realized I did not need a ridiculous jogger but for some reason pre-baby I was dead set on one, LOL.  I really think if your looking on spending several hundred $$$ on a stroller the best thing to do is wait until your baby arrives and then buy, it would stink to get stuck with a pricey stroller you hate.

I also use a Combi EX lightweight stroller for quick trips, I leave it in the back of my SUV 24/7.  I don't always feel like lugging the Frog around if I'm not going to be somewhere for a long period of time. 

Booze, it's what's for dinner imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birth - 7 lbs. 7 oz., 20 inches 1 Month - 9 lbs., 5 oz, 21 inches 2 Months - 11 lbs., 4.5 oz, 23 inches 4 Months - 14 lbs, 1 oz, 26.5 inches 6 months - 16 lbs, 1 oz, 28.75 inches 9 months - 18 lbs, 6 oz, 29.25 inches 1 Year - 21 lbs, 6 oz, 31 inches 2 Years - 28 lbs., 37 inches
  • ediloedilo member
    imageDochas:

imageJillBean78:

This is exactly what we decided.  I just don't feel qualified to make this decision yet!  I wanted the baby to be able to face me but the flip it is just so bulky and heavy.  I looked at the metrolite but I don't like the fabric.

If you are talking about fabric patterns, check out gracobaby.com. I hated the patterns the stores carried for the metrolite, but found a nice gray/black one (flint I think it's called) on graco's website, which had a link to an online retailer that carried that fabric. Of course, everyone's taste is different.

• We went with the Chicco Cortina Keyfit30...several reasons that pp poster said, but in the end, the car seat is rated #1 for safety.  That is reason enough alone and imo, worth the extra money over Graco.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageerikanwalter:
    We went with the Chicco Cortina Keyfit30...several reasons that pp poster said, but in the end, the car seat is rated #1 for safety. 

We purchased a Chicco infant carrier for the exact reasons above. I wanted the pink one (Bella) which only comes as a travel system with the Cortina stroller, so this is what we purchased.

• I think the Chicco is very nice. We would have gone with that one had I not caught a killer deal on a Bugaboo.
  • Its still really early for me, but I've been researching strollers since before I was pg. I love the Bumbleride Flyer with the Graco Snugride infant seat. I just like how you can change the handle to have your baby face you or face out, and I love the look. The few people I have run into that own one all loved it, so thats what I'm leaning towards. The other option is the Maclaren Techno XLR with the infant carrier attachment. I would plan on getting the Graco Snugride with this as well. Those are the two that I have been really looking further in to. I like them mostly because they are lightweight, and are useful from birth up.

Good luck!

• imageJillBean78:

This!  I bought the Chicco travel system and while the car seat is fabulous, the stroller is huge--not that any travel system stroller isn't:)  If I had known better, this is what I would have done:  still bought the Chicco Keyfit carseat and pair it w/a Baby Jogger City Mini which I bought at about 6 mos and LOVE!  It is a fabulous stroller that I regularly use for 3-4 mile walks.  Now that we are moving on to #2 I really want a Baby Jogger City Select but boy is it pricey!  HTH!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"