North Carolina Babies
Options

Need Opinions-WWYD?

A woman in my neighborhood approached me to watch her 6 week old son, I guess he would be 12 weeks when she went back to work. It would only be for 6 weeks until she finished teaching for the year. I said yes at first, and we are going to meet on Thursday to discuss it. I told her $150 a week.

DH doesn't thing I should do it, he doesn't think $150 a week is enough and he was worried about us being cooped up in the house, not being able to run errands, go for walks, to the park, play dates, etc. He also was worried about there being an emergency, or something happening and us being liable (god forbid). I get the feeling this woman is looking for a nanny type situation, not someone who will be out and about with her 12 week old. Would you still meet with her to discuss it, would you even bother doing it? I am torn because an extra $900 would be nice, but I don't know if it is worth the headache! We rarely spend a whole day in the house. WWYD?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need Opinions-WWYD?

• Options

i would consider it.  and 150 a week is pretty normal for my area for a in home type thing. 

i would just tell her what kind of things you do daily, and ask her what her expectations are as well.  it may be that she will love that you aren't home 100% all day, or it may be that you both decide it isn't something that will work.  

$900 extra a month would be worth it to me, but you just have to see what all is expected, and see if that's worth it to you or not.

• Options
    It would only be $900 TOTAL for 6 weeks, it is only for a 6 week sitting job.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

to me $150 a week would not be worth it at all!

an extra $900 is nice.. but over 6 weeks that is not very much at all~

if she paid more i would do it

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

duhh  lol.  i'm not thinking lol.  still it's only 6 weeks so its not like a permanent gig.  you could use that $ for a vacation or something.  i still think it'd be worth it, even more so bc its short term. 

but then depending on her expectations you might want to bump the $ some.  like if she expected you to stay home and not go anywhere, then i'd probably up it to 200 a week... and what kind of hours would change the rate too.

maybe look on craigslist to see what kind of prices are the going rate for your area.  its also a plus for her that you aren't watching any other children.

• Options

I would sit down and talk with her, but would also lay out that you have play dates / outings to park / etc and let her decide from there.  I would think as long as you have nap time at your home she should be ok with some outings.  You should also think about what would happen if Jocelyn was sick - does she have any backup?   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    $150 is pretty average. I guess it would depend on how badly you needed the money. IF I needed the $900 I could find  a way to make it work. I'd talk to her but I'd be very upfront with your expectations of the job. You can always so no.
  • Options

Thanks ladies. $150 a week for our area is LOW, esp for an 8-5 position (heck, my old job was only from 9-4:45), for newborn it is usually $200-250 a week even for in home providers. I looked at part time care for Jocelyn and it was $175 a week in home.I don't know why I quoted her so low, I guess because it was only for 6 weeks.

I think I will still talk with her and see what her expectations are. She mentioned her father wanting to watch her son, so maybe I won't commit to "full time" care. 

• Options
    I can not imagine having to take care of two kids and one being a newborn but that is just me.  $150 is average (we pay our in home daycare $185).  Since it is only for about 6 weeks, I would at least consider it.  GL
  • Options
    My opinion would be that you should talk to her about the situation.  Let her know what your typical day looks like, what your and her expectations are, etc.  Then talk it over with your DH to see if its something you'd like to take on.  I'm not a mom yet, but I can totally see your point in not wanting to be tied down with a newborn when you've got a toddler yourself.  And, if you're not in need of the $, don't bother.
  • Options

Let her know YOUR typical day- since the new baby will probably have to conform to you, not the other way around... being cooped up inside for 6 weeks when you are used to going out during the day can be very hard....

You can also try just one week and see how it goes...

Plus- newborns sleep a lot- so it might not be TOO bad- you will just have to stay put probably.... although if it's nice out- you can still play outside while he snoozes in his baby seat or something (depends on the kid too- he might be a screamer that needs to be held all day long!)

P.S.- Sorry about the multiple posts, but it won't let me delete them!!!  :(

• Options
    Let her know
  • Options
    Let her know that
  • Options

I would probably do it! It's only for 6 weeks ... and then you can decide from there on out if it's every something you'd want to do again.if not - once the 6 weeks are up ... then that'll be it!

Maybe you could just ask for the carseat (maybe you'll have the same base??) so that should you need to go somewhere, you can. Like the mall. :) Mmmm Starbucks!

Oh, and could you say something like, "After thinking about it, $170 is more ideal ..." something along those lines. Adding $20 a week, so it's more worth it to you, but to her ... those extra $20 aren't that big of a deal ...

• Options
    To me, $150 isn't worth it, MAYBE if the child was like 2 years old or something..... Someone actually asked me recently to watch their 6 month old and she was going to only pay $150, I declined b/c of that.  I would expect someone to pay more for in-home child care then they would for daycare.  Someone in my neighborhood recently told me they had someone watching their child in their home for a month before the baby went to daycare, they said they loved it but just couldn't afford it.  Not sure what they paid her but I know for a fact the daycare their child now goes to is $250 a week, so clearly they were paying more than that......
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

i would do it.  it's only 6 weeks and that would be some nice extra money!!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just for comparison, a friend of mine that is a teacher in Wake County took her son to a SAHM's house starting when he was around 4 months old and she paid the SAHM $200 a week (I think the SAHM watched her own son and maybe one other child in addition to my friend's son). So the hours would probably be about the same and the babies will be about the same age. I would probably do it for $200 a week (will it be under the table?) and just let her know what your typical day is like and let her know you would like/expect to take her son to the park/library/play dates, etc. Six weeks is really not that long and it would be nice to have an extra $1200, especially if it would not interrupt your daily routine too much. Good luck with your decision!
  • Options
    That's an easy $900+!  I'd go for it.  I'd also see if you could carry the baby in a sling if you wanted to take some walks with Jocelyn and I'd also check and see if they'd buy a base for the carseat so you could leave the house some.  If someone didn't want me to leave the house then I'd charge more than $150. 
  • Options

imagestarz080:
    If someone didn't want me to leave the house then I'd charge more than $150. 

That is a really good point. Maybe you can do this!

Also, I wanted to add the in-home daycare price where we send Savannah, for more comparison

Under 1 it's $185/wk

Over 1 it's $175/wk

(those are full time hours ... we are part-time so it's an hourly rate)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"