Nurseries and Baby Gear

Do I really need a Diaper Genie?

Some of my mommy friends tell me it's a must while some tell me it's disgusting and I'm better off using a small trash can, wrapping dirty diapers in baggies and emptying it daily. Our nursery is small so I'm all for saving space and only buying things I really need. Thoughts?

Re: Do I really need a Diaper Genie?

• Nope, never had one.  We just put it in the regular trash can.  Never had any "smelly" incidents from it.
  • Nope. I have heard that once they are on solids not matter what system you have the stink is not contained very well. I just went with a safety first diaper pail that was about 10 bucks at BRU and I am perfectly happy with it (formula fed baby - so his poop stinks more then BF) So far it does a decent job of keeping smells out of the nursery.

This is the pail I have, the lid is white not blue:

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2373657

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Loading the player...
  • I have one and used it for about a month. We have a pretty small condo so the trash can works just fine. We take out the trash daily.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really don't think you need one. People told me this, but I didn't listen. I went on and registered for the Diaper Dekkor. We stopped using it fairly soon. I felt the nursery always had a smell. It also just took up space.
  • I am not having one....I am going to use my normal trash can,.....but put it in a plastic bag from walmart or target first....and then tie it up...I don't see a need for buying something extra.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't want one, but someone ended up getting me one.  I like it way more than I thought I would and use it all of the time, but it's definitely not a necessity. 
  • We're going to skip it, just added clutter and from what I've been told they're not necessary as long as you throw each dirty diaper in your outside trash.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Even though we use cloth now, when DD was a newborn we just put the dirties in empty plastic grocery, target, newspaper bags and emptied the trash daily.

I hate the poop sausages that the genie makes.  Also I loathe anything that requires specific refills. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Diaper pails stink - there is no way around it.

We live in a 1story house so diapers will go out to the trash can in the garage.  It's not too far of a walk.  

• I have lived without one for 8 months now.  Someone even gave me theirs, but I havn't used it yet.  We put the diapers in the trash in the garage and our house doesn't stink.  I don't think you need one.
  • i love my diaper genie elite! and i never had a problem with it smelling up the room
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"