Maryland Babies

to buy a travel system or not??

Hello-

I have been debetating back and forth wether to get a travel system stroller or to get a covertable car seat. So far a couple people say not to buy  a travel system- however i m a first time mom and am questioning how will i transport my son around places- with out the infant car seat.

Please help me out with your suggestions

THANKS!!

Re: to buy a travel system or not??

• I was advised to get the infant car seats (seat/base) and then to get a snap in stroller like this one:

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266236&fromWidget=BRU%3ACategory%3ATop+Sellers

They are much lighter and smaller.  Being pretty short and driving a civic, this made a lot of sense for me.  My friends who gave me this advice had a travel system and said for the amount of time that they used it, it wasn't worth the money and hassle and was a pain anytime they did use it.  Once LO is old enough, I plan on getting a jogging stroller and an umbrella stroller.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I loved having a travel system.  DD is a skinny kid, so she didn't outgrow her infant seat until right before her first birthday giving us a ton of use out of it.  A lot of the infant seats now are going up to 32lbs (ours only went to 22lbs) so depending on how tall your son is, you can use the infant seat for a good while.  The ease of the travel system just made it totally worth it for me.

If you do opt to go straight for a convertible seat (which I know most can be used for newborns, but I just can't picture putting a tiny baby in those huge seats!), you can always use some thing like the Baby Bjorn front carrier or just push the baby in a stroller while you are out.  

• Loading the player...
  • We had a travel system but only used it for a few weeks. IMO it was a total waste of money. I would get an infant seat though.
  • I have the Chicco Travel System. We use ours all the time. Now that it's warmer we use it to go on our daily walks. I ended up going with the Chicco because after test driving the Graco brand at BRU it was just to heavy for me to lift. Both DH and I are on the tall side so this stroller worked for us.

• imagejcsntms06:
    I have the Chicco Travel System. We use ours all the time. Now that it's warmer we use it to go on our daily walks. I ended up going with the Chicco because after test driving the Graco brand at BRU it was just to heavy for me to lift. Both DH and I are on the tall side so this stroller worked for us.

Ditto this exactly. We just switched him out of the infant seat/carrier into a convertible car seat. So we got a lot of use out of the travel system. And we are now using the stroller without the carseat carrier attached to it and he loves it.

One thing I always think of, I cannot imagine using the convertible seat with a small infant (although you can). They fall asleep so much in the car when they are little, it would be a total PITA to have to pull a small sleeping baby out of it all the time.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I got a Graco carseat and snap and go and then got a full size stroller when we stopped lifting the car seat in and out. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I got the infant car seat with snap and go stroller. It was great because DD got so big so quickly she was too heavy to carry in the car seat before she was 5-6 months, so I got rid of it and used the convertible seat and got a the stroller I am still using today. I felt like I didn't waste too much money and I think I even sold the snap and go for a pretty good price and that went towards a really nice stroller (DH and I are taller, so I needed one with adjustable handles)

The travel systems are so wide and I would see parents take so long to set it up, when I could pull out the snap and go with one hand and be on my way in the store and they were still trying to get it all set up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't get a travel system- I got a stroller w/ a frame that can be both a bassinet and a regular stroller- we switched it to the regular stroller thing when DD was about 6 months. 

We got an adapter so we could pop the infant car seat onto our stroller, but honestly my DD didn't like being in the infant carrier that much, unless she was in the car, we probably used that adapter thing half a dozen times, for really short trips, otherwise I would take her out of the infant carrier and put her in the bassinet stroller thing, she slept much better in it and it was better for her back, etc.  I have read a lot about how it's best for a baby's skull and spinal development for them to only be in the carseat when they are in the car.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • THANKS EVERYONE!!! i think i like the frame where i can just snap it in.. more pratical!

• imagewv_82:

THANKS EVERYONE!!! i think i like the frame where i can just snap it in.. more pratical!

That's what we got...we have the Graco Snugride infant car seat and the Graco Snap and Go Stroller.  The Snap and Go is not heavy at all and you can open it easily and it stores well.  When she outgrows the car seat, she will go into a regular stroller...we got the Baby Jogger City Mini for later.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • ctanactana member

I wouldn't if I were you.  Go for the snap & go and then invest in a great umbrella stroller once your little one is ready for that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Personally I could not have lived with out my infant car seat.  There are so many times mine fell asleep in the car seat and I would just bring them in the house and let them continue sleeping in the seat.  I switched mine out if the infant seats around 1 yr.  If I had to do it all over again I would not have bought the stroller that went with the infant seats but rather the snap and go.  The snap and go is less expensive, light weight and I found around 9 months I started to use the umbrella stroller a lot more.  It was less bulky, easy to get in and out of the car and compact.  Personally I would have bought something like a McClarion instead of the larger stroller.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"