Single Parents

Changing last name

Does anyone know the procedure/cost to change my DS's last name. I really want to change it to mine since his father and I are no longer together and we are never going to get back together. I also don't know how to tell his father that I am changing it....HELP!!!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Changing last name

• I am going to start the process of changing Cadance's last name.  I live in Ohio and this is what I found out...how they do it here...You might want to call your local probate court and see if it is the same.

I have to go to Probate Court and pick up a packet and fill that out.  I have to run an ad in our local paper.  Then Probate Court needs a copy to set up a court date.   He will be sent a registered letter stating my intent with the court date.  Now changing her last name WILL NOT release him from his responsibility to pay child support (which I am not getting anyway but it is still being racked up, the amount he owes me is over $3000. right now.  Good luck to you! It will be $$ well spent!

Cheryl (26) Andy (25) Married 1 year as of 8-17-13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Probate court is the way to go. My oldest daughter has my last name as will the 1 on the way. This is 1 thing I didn't want to go through, people call me stubborn and say a child should have the father's last name, well..... Not as long as mine is different. Sorry! GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • This is a little off topic, but I'm not married and I plan on my baby having my last name.  My BF is in the picture, but he's in no rush to get married and I'm just afraid that it will never happen so I don't want LO to have his last name and then for me to struggle to get it changed in the future.  I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on how I should tell him that the baby will have my last name, and if he ever decides that he wants to marry me then we will change the baby's last name along with mine?  I just don't want this to be a big huge fight.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In some states, it's a "Daddy's right" if he pays child support and wants the child to have his name.
  • Well, from everything I've read so far I think in my state it's the mom's choice if you're not married.

• Well, from everything I've read so far I think in my state it's the mom's choice if you're not married.  Does anyone in Illinois know about this?

• imageturtle1120:

Well, from everything I've read so far I think in my state it's the mom's choice if you're not married.  Does anyone in Illinois know about this?

I'm not sure about in Illinois but here in Kansas you have to have permission from the father to have the last name changed once it is on the birth certificate. A friend of mine wanted to have her daughters last name changed and this was the only way.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageturtle1120:

Well, from everything I've read so far I think in my state it's the mom's choice if you're not married.  Does anyone in Illinois know about this?

Don't know about Illinois but in Georgia it is the mom's choice even if the couple is married. That is how I got to put my last name (never took his name when we got married) even though we aren't divorced yet.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't think it has anything to do with CS. It is the mother's right to put whatever name on the BC that she wants to but after that the father usually has to agree to let the child change last names if he is on the BC also. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"