Preemies
Options

Talk to me about...Blood Transfusions

LO has been anemic since day one (born at 27 weeks). His retic levels have held steady at 26 with iron supplements, but at today's check they came in at 22. The nurse told us most likely tomorrow AM the doc will suggest a combination of both medication & a blood transfusion to get them up.

On one hand, we're happy to find out this is going on because his eating has been SO sloppy. I was concerned there might be some other underlying issues. The nurse said we'd most likely see a drastic improvement in his eating once we move forward. On the other, I'm terrified. Blood transfusion? Come on! He's so tiny, it just seems extreme.

Have any of you had experience with this? What are the risks? Did it help your LO?

Re: Talk to me about...Blood Transfusions

• Options
    My DS had several transfusions while in the NICU.  It is very common and we saw improvements almost immediately each time.  It will help him to be more alert and awake. 
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Options
    my dd had 3 or 4 transfusions while in the nicu.  it's very common & nothing to be too concerned about.  hang in there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks ladies!

Did the positive results 'stay' or did you have to keep doing transfusions to keep the numbers up? If so, for how long?

• Options
    It helped for quite a while.  I remember him getting one when he was a little over a week old and then maybe 6 weeks later. The older babies get the less likely there will be a need for a transfusion.
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Options

My DS's HCT went to 23. Our Ped decided to wait on a transfusion and do a 10 day course of EPO, which encourages the bone marrow to produce more red blood cells. It worked well for my son, but it was gradual and we didn't see a  quick change in energy,

I know girls whos babies have had transfusions and they say they could see immediate differences in their LO.

• Options
    DD (also born at 27wks) had 5 during her 109 day NICU stay.  Like so many other things during that time, we were upset and scared at first but she always looked and did SO much better after a transfusion (in terms of feeds, apnea spells, bradys, etc).  It was explained to us that they were having to draw blood for labs so often that her immature bone marrow couldn't keep up with the production of new red blood cells (and Sarah was having blood cultures drawn often for MRSA on top of the regular labs).  The older she got, the less she needed the help from the transfusions.  I dug out her discharge paperwork and it looks like the first three were 2-3wks apart, but then there was a month between the 4th and the final (which was a month before her original due date).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Robbie had several (4?) while in the NICU. They always did wonders for him almost immediately (within hours). It was scary at first, but it's really, really common.
    When they get a bit older, they'll be able to tell if he's able to keep up with the retic count. Robbie came home a little anemic but the tests showed his retic count kicking in. A month later, he'd been able to catch up.

He did end up needing another transfusion when he was about 9 months old. He hadn't been eating well, though (That's what he was in the hospital for) and I'm sure that contributed. 

Since then he's been fine. 

• Options

I don't have any personal experience but I did want to reiterate but pp said. I have worked at a blood bank for 10 years now, and the results of a transfusion are pretty much instant in most cases. Everyone says they feel so much better immediately and they look better as well too- color and such.

I hope your LO continues to improve.

• Options

imageKellyMichelle:
    My DS had several transfusions while in the NICU.  It is very common and we saw improvements almost immediately each time.  It will help him to be more alert and awake. 

DD only had to have 1 thankfully, and we also saw immediate improvement. 

GL!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    mcdevmcdev member
    Keira had several and we saw positive results immediately.  The donor blood is thoroughly screened...even more than if you donated the blood yourself I was told. 
    Claire Avery born at 32 weeks on 10/25/06 Keira Leigh born at 27 weeks on 4/29/08
  • Options

imageKellyMichelle:

This. They take so much blood as it is for testing, that our LO's have a hard time keeping up.

• Options
    Bobby, my 26 weeker, has already had 4, and we're on D85 of our NICU stay.  It really does make a difference...I actually push for them when he's getting really drained and lethargic and his crits are low.  We know that his body will pick up on RBC production as he gets stronger, but he needs cells to carry blood now, so a transfusion is essential. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"