Pregnant after 35
Options

What determines baby size?

Just wondering if it's mostly genetics or how much weight I gain?

This is my second and I feel like I've been gaining much faster this time around. I have a little less than 2 months to go - most important of course is that my baby is growing nicely - I just worry sometimes when I hear the second baby is always bigger. Should I be careful about how much I'm eating during the home stretch? (My OB has said nothing about weight so far)

Thanks.

Re: What determines baby size?

• Options
    2nd is not always bigger!  My first was 8 lbs 7 oz and second was 7 lbs 6 oz!  My first was bigger because he didn't want to come out- 2 weeks late! I don't know about the amount we eat=bigger baby as much as how much we eat=more to take off afterwards; but then again, I'm no expert!  
  • Options
    Good point - an early baby will weigh less and an overdue one will weigh more. My first came right on time so I guess I'm just thinking in terms of a 40 week baby. Will the second one be bigger at 40 weeks than the first was at 40 weeks? I just wonder what determines that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Your weight gain really has nothing to do with it. It's genetics, gestation time, and abnormalities (gestational diabetes and such) that impact baby size at birth.
    I am a Wonder-Mom!
    DD#1 - January 2008
    DD#2 - September 2010
  • Options
    With my peaches I only gained 14lbs and she weighed 9 lbs 2 oz.so I don't think weight has anything to do with it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"