Georgia Babies

Anyone want to share their tomato sauce recipe

Don't tell my Dad I asked this, but if anyone is willing to share I would like to try some new sauce recipes.

As I confessed in the "processed foods" post last week I am a person of Italian heritage who uses jarred sauce. The Hubs just doesn't really like Dad's recipe. He grew up on Ragu, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I would like to try some different scratch recipes though and see if there is something he likes better. If anyone cares to share I would appreciate it.

Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
DS-6
c/p- April 2016
missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

Re: Anyone want to share their tomato sauce recipe

• Don't have measurements--I just eyeball it, but here is mine from my Italian husband. 

I get cans of whole peeled tomatoes (usually 4-6)and cut off the ends (if there is skin still attached) put them in a big bowl and dump in the puree from the can--1 can of puree for every two cans of tomatoes.  Use the emmersion blender to make it smooth (husband doesn't like chunks).  I heat up some olive oil in a big pot--and then brown some minced garlic in there.  Add the tomatoes, salt and some different spices like oregano, basil, etc.  We also will use a spice blend my in-laws bring back from Italy, but we are out right now.  Let it simmer for a few hours to cook off the water and that's it.  So easy and so good!

My father-in-law also cuts up some carrot and puts that in his, but I do not.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • This is my standard recipe, but I don't always use it.      I also eyeball...

Lg can of tomato sauce, tomato paste, 2 onions, lots of garlic, oregano, basil and parsley (pref. fresh), pork chops of some kind, water, 

In a large pot, I cook off the pork until the fat renders.  Remove the pork and cook one onion, minced in the fat.   Then add the garlic until fragrant.   Throw in the paste and scrape up all the bits and onions until the paste softens.    Throw in the tomato sauce and whisk until paste seems blended.  Put the pork back in, throw in the herbs, and put in the second onion, whole but peeled.  Add water until its the right consistency for you.  Add salt and LOTS of pepper.   Simmer for hours.    

That whole onion makes a world of difference.  I throw it away before I serve or freeze the sauce.  

Another house favorite, for an easy peasy dinner night, 1 can of diced tomatoes, olive oil and garlic.    Sautee the garlic in the oil until fragrant, toss in the can of tomatoes, and some pepper, heat until steamy and toss over pasta.  I swear this is my husbands favorite sauce.  

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks Ladies! Those both sound good!

I am definitely going to try using the pork chop..that might just add the flavor DH says is missing from my Dad's recipe.

Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• I am not at all italian but my basic recipe is
    saute garlic and onion in olive oil then crushed tomatoes and tomato passte a pinch of sugar and plenty of salt then stir in a heaping spoonful of pesto (jarred or homemade). Let simmer for an hour.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"