New York Babies

subway seats?

Just curious how often you are offered a seat on the subway (if you're showing).  I would say about half the time I'm standing I get offered a seat.  Sometimes I'm just shocked that people just go on reading, listening to music, sleeping, etc. with a very pregnant woman standing over them.  It seems inconsiderate.  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: subway seats?

• I tried offering a pregnant woman my seat once and a not-pregnant woman who was standing closer to me when I stood up hurried to snatch the seat. I had to point out the pregnant lady in order to get her to give the seat up, but even then, she did so begrudgingly.   
    April 2010 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Romantic Pic
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i was very rarely offered a seat. the only times that i was offered one, i was well into the third trimester. even then it was maybe three or four times at most.?
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep, I'd say about half the time.  It really made me happy when someone did offer since it didn't happen all of the time.  There are still some thoughtful people out there. 

After being pregnant, I'm much more aware of the elderly, disabled, and pregnant women on the train.  It's so easy to be in your own world on the train.

• I'm almost 32 weeks and haven't been offered a seat yet!  I think part is that most of the time I'm wearing a coat and I'm still really small for this point in the pregnancy - but still! There have definitely been days where my coat is open and I'm standing with my 3 bags and no one offers, it shocks me!
  • I'm not even KU yet and I'm appalled at how few people offer up their seat.   It's so rude how people will hide behind their books or newspapers pretending not to see a pregnant woman standing there.
    Helene (Nova726)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imagemommytobe1:
    I'm almost 32 weeks and haven't been offered a seat yet!  I think part is that most of the time I'm wearing a coat and I'm still really small for this point in the pregnancy - but still! There have definitely been days where my coat is open and I'm standing with my 3 bags and no one offers, it shocks me!

I am in the same boat - in fact a day last week - there was one empty seat - myself and an old-ish woman about the same distance away from said seat... now I have no problem standing - but the woman literally SHOVED past me to get to the seat ahead of me and then gave me this smug little 'victory is mine' look the whole time I remained on the train...

• This has been my gripe since I have started to show, but after a while you kinda just get used to it. I have been offered a seat apprx 15% of the time and out of that 15% it's been 95% women who get up and offer me their seat. One time this guy stood up to give me his seat and this other man almost knocked me down to try to get to it. I have a coat that ties above my belly so you can clearly see I am preggers but does that help... nooooo .... I just laugh now, I am 35 weeks and very much showing - I find it sad that there aren't more gentlemen in NYC ... :P
  • Not many people got up for me when I was wearing my winter coat. ?I'd even open up my coat & pull out a Pregnancy magazine to make it very clear but nothing! ?

Now that it's warming up there's no hiding this belly & people get up a little more. ?I've actually been on bedrest the last week & I'm really missing showing off my belly :(?

• True true! i've just begun to show and have been getting lots of questioning looks. One day I asked a middle ages man if I could sit as I was exhausted and pregnant and he looked up and said "why should I believe that?" WOW! I guess I asked the wrong guy. The kindest people I've noticed thus far is older women whose eats I don't want to take anyway!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"