Detroit Babies
Options

How do I decide where to deliver?

I know this kind of stuff gets asked all the time.I am in a tough situation (or a really good one depending on how you look at it). I don't have an OB/GYN right now because the one I loved is no longer in my network and the new one I saw for my last annual sucked and has moved out of state. So now, we are going to start TTC, I need an annual, and I figure I should see someone who works where I would want to deliver. I can go to Henry Ford (I work at West Bloomfield), Huron Valley, St Joe's AA. I have great hospitals to choose from.

I would appreciate any pros/cons to these facilities as well as a rec for a doc or midwife that you love. I think I would prefer a midwife, since I am a nurse. I live in Northville.

TIA girls! I hope to be playing with you here SOON! :)

imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How do I decide where to deliver?

• Options

All I can say is I've heard great things about HFWB and St. Joe's AA, no experience though.

And I wanted to say hi and good luck with your TTC!  Hopefully we'll see more of you over here!  (This is Sheila btw).

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • Options
    CMM05CMM05 member

I had DS#1 at Huron Valley and I had DS#2 at Henry Ford West Bloomfield (my OB switched hospitals...)

Huron Valley hands down was the best care.

One thing I should add is that I had a c-section and at Henry Ford, you are NOT in the maternity wing.....which I believe was the cause of my concerns/issues with the hospital. They were apparently working on making some changes to the concerns I had (concerns that many other moms had as well....).

Its a beautiful hospital and I would love to hear from moms who had vaginal births and stayed in the "new" wing experienced. The new wing is gorgeous, but unless you deliver vaginally, you don't get to stay there (and they don't tell you this when you tour....)

The care I had at Huron Valley was AMAZING. I cannot say enough great things about that hospital. I BEGGED my OB to deliver my 2nd there, but they wouldn't do it :( 

GL!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I went through something similar a few weeks ago, when I decided I wanted to find a CNM (certified nurse midwife) practice for this pregnancy.  It came down to the midwives at HFWB and the Metro Partners midwives who deliver at Providence in Southfield.  If I wasn't going for a VBAC, I would have gone through Metro Partners, because I would have loved the opportunity to be at the ABC at Providence.  Since the ABC does not take VBACs and I've heard too many negative things about the Providence experience outside of the ABC, I decided to go with HFWB.  I've seen CNM Lynn Rife in Canton and been very happy with her so far.

It doesn't hurt to start calling hospitals and setting up tours now.  Yes, hospitals will try to sell you on their offerings, but at least you'll be able to see the hospital for yourself.  Also, once you are pregnant, if you are not happy with your doctor or midwife, you can switch to another practice or hospital. 

• Options

Because I work at HFWB, I see/hear the good and bad from L&D. THis is why I am questioning whether or not I want to go there. I don't think its a great place to have a c/s and since you don't necessarily get tochoose that, it makes me nervous. I am sorry you didn't get to stay in L&D!

Are there Huron Valley doc offices in the Novi/Northville area?

Hi Sheila!

• Options

My friend had good things to say about Huron Valley and she saw

Metro OBGYN and loved them.

Good Luck TTC!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

My sister, neighbor, friend and I all have delivered at huron valley.  All of us drove atleast 30 mins to deliver there.  We all had great experiences.  My sister and neighbor both had premies.  My neighbor had her first at 28 weeks and second at 32 weeks.  Both of her kids are great.  She loved the place and the nicu.  Our delivery nurse was the one who teaches the classes.  She remembered my DH and I.  She made my experience great.  All of us go to the same practice Metro OBGYN.  They are in commerce and livonia.  The rooms are nice.  The nurses are great. 

image Sandy RIP 1-11-09 imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Can I give another vote for Huron Valley and Metro?  I have been a Metro patient for years and love them. Several of my friends have delivered through them at Huron Valley and have no complaints.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I know I'm the 1st one, but I have to give a shout out to St. Mary Mercy in Livonia (5 Mile & Levan).  I didn't have a choice since that's where my OB's are out of, but I had a GREAT experience there w/DD.  I remember on our tour that some other couples couldn't believe that the rooms were much bigger than the other hospitals they had been at (not sure about the new HFWB or the new Providence Novi, since those opened up after).  I loved all everything was in one room, delivery & post partum, no taking me to 20 different rooms.  I delivered vaginally, so can't comment on how/where they do a c/s.

I'm in Northville too, 8 Mile/Taft (the small part of Northville in Oakland county), where are you in Northville?

GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Hi, I just popped over to this board as we are considering moving to Northville and I'm looking for a new OB and hospital too. I had my daughter at St. Joe's and went to an IHA doctor - I love my doctor and am a little bummed that I may not be going through this pregnancy with him and am really sad I'm not going to have this baby at St. Joe's if we move but my daughter was born so quick after my water broke we almost didn't have time to get to the hospital (and I was not having contractions before it broke so no warning).  We have to find a closer hospital!  That being said, I loved St. Joe's and they opened the new wing so the room is all the same room that you deliver in and stay in until you leave. 

I have a couple friends who work in hospitals and delivered where they work and have mixed feelings about being at the hospital they work.  GL to you!

• Options

mom2angangel: lucky you with the quick delivery!!! I am not a huge fan of providence in general, but the new Providence Park is at Grand River/Beck, which is probably the nearest place to go. Otherwise, St. Marys is the next closest in Livonia, followed by Henry Ford in West Bloomfield.

I live in the historic part of Northville, about 3 blocks West of town. I love it here. I am not TOO concerned with the distance to St. Joes. I actually work at St. Joes also (in peds), so I can attest to the fact that their new rooms are pretty fabulous :)

DH knows that I think highly of HFWB, but he doesn't want my coworkers coming to visit when I have a baby, so he thinks I should go somewhere else. Lol.... I dont really care about that so much as I would worry that if something happened, I would have to go to the ER (which is where I work) and my coworkers would take care of me... that would be weird!

• Options
    I see a CNM at HFWB and have nothing but good things to say about the hospital and staff. I have actually been on 2 tours there and I was told that with a C-section after surgery you are In the women's wing which was pretty much the same as the maternity wing just no jetted tub which I doubt you would be using at that point anyway. You may want to ask some more questions about it but That is what I was told.
  • Options

HFWB is a gorgeous hospital. I can't imgaine how any room wouldn't be an amazing place to stay. it looks like a hotel. I have a lot of good things to say about the hospital, unfortunately, working there, I see the good and bad sides of being a patient. I won't say anything else bc I do think its a good hospital, but I think that (for me) there are better places to have a baby. (um, except the fabulous food, jetted tubs, and spa services make me want to go there for sure).

Just out of curiousity, which CNM at WB are you using? I may still decide to go there... since making appts before work would be super convenient.

• Options

I just delievered at St Joe's AA in January and live in Plymouth (5 mile and Haggerty).  It was not a problem getting out to the hospital and back at all and I would recommend it.  The L&D portion was wonderful!!!  Staff, rooms, doctors, treatment, everything was excellent and new.  Once I moved to the mother and baby unit it was a little rough the first day (but that was just due to an new RN on the floor) and the rooms being small and older.  They are not moving the entire mother and baby unit to the new tower until May 2010.  If that tower is anything like the first new tower they built (and my mother had surgery in a couple years back) they are excellent.  Large, cheery rooms.  Second day when the normal staff was back on, I had an excellent experience in the unit.  Extremely helpful and friendly staff.  If we decide to have a second child, I wouldn't hesitate to go back. 

• Options
    CMM05CMM05 member

imageLolaLoCascio:
    I see a CNM at HFWB and have nothing but good things to say about the hospital and staff. I have actually been on 2 tours there and I was told that with a C-section after surgery you are In the women's wing which was pretty much the same as the maternity wing just no jetted tub which I doubt you would be using at that point anyway. You may want to ask some more questions about it but That is what I was told.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news....but trust me, you will not be in the new maternity ward. You are in the RECOVERY area after your c-section which is a part of the "new" wing, but you are in a curtained recovery area, you do NOT get a room in the "new" wing.

After recovery, you are wheeled across the floor to the pediatric/women's ward.

The rooms are about half the size of the ones in the new wing. Yes, they are nice, but they are nowhere near as nice and/or as large as the newer wing.

I am just being honest. I just delivered there in November and I have several friends who have had c-sections there in the past month or so. Even some of the OB's in my office were very wishy-washy about providing me with info. because they knew moms would be pissed.

I was basically told by one of the most honest OB's in my office that HFWB f*cked up and they did not build the new wing large enough. There are too many OB offices that have come to HFWB and they don't have enough room for everyone, so the c-section moms get the boot.

The head of nursing and the president of the hospital were sent up to my room to speak to me and my DH because we had a lot to say and a lot to recommend to them :) According to the head of nursing they were looking at ways to get the c-section moms to the new wing, but to my knowledge that is not happening anytime soon.

Again, I don't want to sound mean, but I'm just being honest!

Its a beautiful hospital and the nurses were great (for the most part....). I LOVED the nurses that were in pre-op and did my c-section. But, the nurses I had for my stay were way too overwhelmed because they are dealing with both peds and c-section moms. I had to keep track of my own pain meds and remind them to get them for me. I had to constantly call for re-stocking of diapers, bottles, etc. and it took a long time for them to come when I hit my "call" button.

I really, really hope they have taken the feedback into consideration (I know lots of other moms who have made similar complaints....).

Just be an advocate for yourself and your baby!

GL! 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

To follow up with what CMM05 said....

I went on the hospital tour today.  I saw both types of rooms for myself, and honestly, I didn't think the room difference was a big deal.  Yes, the maternity rooms are bigger, but generally, you don't need that much space after you've given birth.  Also, you don't need a tub at all if you are recovering from a c-section.  I'd rather have someone who actually can use the tub have it, actually.  The shower looked plenty nice.  As far as the room quality goes, the rooms in the pediatric ward had nicer couches, and more comfortable beds than the maternity ward rooms.  I would have no issue switching rooms if it was necessary.  

For the record, I had my DD at another hospital, and I had a c-section.  I was actually grateful to get out of the room I had "labored" in and into a new room for postpartum care.  Returning to the LDR room just would have brought memories of my failed induction.  For me, changing rooms was a positive experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"