Parenting

Screaming/Crying toddler at night. Can anyone help?!?!

DS is almost 4. Some nights he will still be in our bed (working on that Big Smile ).  If he goes to bed too late or out of his routine - like last night we were at a family birthday party past his bedtime - or if he has not done enough during the day to be tired at bedtime, this is what happens:

He will be asleep in our bed and suddenly start to cry/scream.  Sometimes it is just the crying and screaming, but typically it is joined with talking.  Things such as:  Bobby, give me my toy., Stop, leave me alone., That's mine., Noooooooo., Lisa, Lisa, where are you?, it goes on and one.  Other times he will just start laughing or talking without the screaming or crying, but that is rare.  He sometims also complains of pain in his feet or legs or his eyes hurt, basically anything, but is fine during the day.  I have rubbed his feet and legs numerous times during the night.

When this happens, I tell him I am right there or ask him what his wrong or why he is crying. He is typically not really awake so he just says I don't know or nothing or just talks more.  He scoots next to me and goes back to sleep until the next time.  Sometimes he cannot be consoled and he crys for a bit and then back to sleep.  This is typically most of the night.

I have talked to him during the day asking if anyone has touched him, he goes to daycare, or hit him or made him mad and he tells me no.  I honestly don't think that is the case.  Last night he told me he was crying and screamed out NO because I pushed him, which did not happen. 

It seems like if his scedule is disrupted or he is not active enough during the day his brain just keeps going all night long.  I am no expert, but that is what seems to be happening.  On other days when he is busy and goes to bed on time, everything is great (whether he is in our bed or his bed).

It is really starting to upset me know to the point of taking him to his doctor or another expert or something.  I thought I would check here to see if anyone has been through this or is currently dealing with this.  Any help, suggestions, anything would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Screaming/Crying toddler at night. Can anyone help?!?!

• InvBKInvBK member
    It sounds like you are describing night terrors.  DD has them occasionally, but not as intense as your DS's.  I would definitely talk to the pediatrician about what you can to do to help the situation.  You may also be able to find some tips online if you google night terrors.  Sorry that I don't have much more info to help!
  • I thought that, but I have been through night terrors with a friend's child and this seems different.  He does wake up a bit each time, just not all the way.  Plus it happens over and over all night long.

I will google it and see if there are different types!

Thanks!

• Loading the player...
  • My daughter gets night terrors, but she is in her own room. I can tell by her cry and screaming if it is a night terror, a nightmare, or if she has woken up completely and needs me for what ever reason. If it is a night terror I refrain from going in there and if it is going on for a while and I do go in there I do it as quietly as possible so I don't wake her.

With night terrors they don't really wake up. If it is a night terror you should not try and wake them up, it makes it worse because they are not aware of what is going on. Maybe you are waking him by rubbing his back or asking questions? Not accusing, just asking. I have been told that if they are woken from a night terror it can happen over and over. So maybe that is what is going on. I would talk to his Dr.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"