North Carolina Babies
Options

Where did you register?

If more than one store, did you just want a larger selection?

I'm already feeling overwhelmed by registering. Did you register for a lot of things you thought you'd need, then didn't use?

Right now I'm stuck on bedding because I'm trying to figure out a paint color, but do I even need a bedding set? Can't I just get sheets and a blanket?

DH has no clue either, so he's probably going to rely on me to tell him everything we will need.

eta: Sorry in advance for all the questions. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now. There's so much to think about.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Where did you register?

• Options
    We registered for the bulk of our stuff at Target because they had what we wanted/needed and it was cheaper then BRU. We did register for a lil bit at Babies R Us for stuff that Target maybe didnt have or what not. You dont have to do buy a bedding set. It depends on if u plan to use a bumper or not...we've had our bumper in the crib the whole time but a lot of people dont use them because of the SIDS risk. You have to decide from the sets what pieces of it you will use honestly. You could even look for a cute quilt sold seperately and coordinate with plain colored sheets and such. We didnt feel we registered for anything we didnt use. Good luck and if u have any specfic registry questions about what to register for just ask on the boards!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I registered at BRU and Walmart.  I live in a small town and most people won't travel all the way to BRU, so Walmart was the next best option.

I felt completely overwhelmed too.  I relied on Baby Bargains and suggestions from other moms for what to register. 

You don't need a bedding set.  I just loved the one that I found, so I went with it!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I registered at BRU and Target. I might have registered at Buy Buy Baby instead of BRU, if it was around when I registered. (Not sure if there's one of those in your area though?)

BRU has a good guide to follow for the basics. I also took a friend with me, who had a baby, and she gave me tips on what I would need. This was SO helpful. We just went to each section of the store, and she showed me what worked well for her.

As far as crib bedding, no, it's not necessary for the functioning of your child. hehe. For me, I wanted a cute, decorated nursery, so to me, it was a must. The only thing I didn't find "useful" is the quilt. But it is decorative, so we bought it--it is draped over the glider, and I love it. :-)

Sure, there were some things I thought I HAD to have, that I didn't end up using, but it wasn't anything big. I didn't get much use out of our Bumbo (try and buy this used if you can!), didn't use the Bumbo tray at all, also hooded towels, baby nightgowns, hand mits, and some other stuff. There's really no real way to tell what will work for you until you're in it!

GL! It is definitely super overhwelming. I highly recommend taking a mommy friend with you for an initial trip, then maybe going back with DH later.

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Options

I just registered at BRU and only for stuff I really want and need. That's about 42 items total. (But, that's three different SwaddleMe patterns, two different pacifier age groups, etc.) I think some people go overboard and register for lots of random little things that are "nice" to have, but then that's what people end up getting you and then you have to buy all of the real needs.

I made a list of what I needed, then created my registry and began adding stuff online. That way, I could begin at my own speed. We made one recon mission to BRU so DH could get a feel for what was there, then went on a week night to do the bulk of our registering. The store was much less crowded and it wasn't very overwhelming. Because I had a list to follow, it only took about 45 minutes.

See my response to your bedding question in your bedding post!

• Options

I registered at Babies R Us and Target. 

I registered at two places because not everyone had access to a Babies R Us.   Plus, the people I was receiving gifts from would not have bought on-line.  Therefore I felt I needed a store that was easy for them to access.  

Registering IS overwhelming!  My advice, take someone with you who has already had a child.  Or if you see a mom walking the aisles, ask them for advice!  This helped me when I was pondering over a few things.  Also, grab a copy of Baby Bargains to help you start narrowing down your choices.  

I registered for a lot of things.  Mainly because I had no clue what I needed.  Secondly, if it was on my registry  then I received a 20% off discount towards the end of my pregnancy!   

Another hint I found helpful was to go in the store and at least start your registry.  After I reached the point of confusion (which was about an hour into it), I decided to go home and add everything else on-line!!  

As for bedding, the only thing you NEED are sheets.  However, I fell in love with my bedding so opted for the bumper, sheets, and bed skirt.  We bought a convertible crib/bed.  So, we will use the bed skirt for quite awhile.  I don't regret buying the items I did. 

We used blankets for swaddling, so we did not need the comforter/throw.  

Good luck!  Don't hesitate to ask us advice on what we "think" you may or may not need.  Also, keep in mind every baby is different so what works for one baby might not work for yours.  Oh the joys!!

Have fun!!

• Options

Target and BRU- Target was *by far* more popular registry (prob. b/c of how many locations they have).  I have a sister with 2 small children and picked her brain about registry items- we don't have a big house and have tried really hard not to clutter it up.  I can't yet speak to what we haven't (won't) use.

Bedding- we used sister's hand me downs.  Really all you need is sheets, mattress pad (if you want), bumper (if you want) and dust ruffle.  

I took my mom and sister with me to register at BRU and then just did the Target one based on that myself.  Took 45 minutes- we were in and out!

• Options

We registered at BRU and Amazon. I know that I *personally* like to buy shower gifts in advance online, and many of the same items were cheaper on Amazon with free shipping so I tried to put what I could on amazon.com, knowing that most ppl wait til the last minute for shower gift buying. Like I assumed, that registry didn't get maxed out, though it did get more action than I thought it would! I think if Buy Buy Baby had been around when I registered I'd have just gone there since it's so amazing. :) BRU... meh. Didn't rock my world, they seemed to have items randomly available then not available all the time which was annoying.

Oh, and if you do go with two sites/stores, you might be interested in amazingregistry.com. You can create a site and pull in both of your registries so that you can have an easy link on your shower invites for the guest to browse your registries. I did that. 

We chose and purchased our bedding independently since BRU didn't have anything I wanted and I saw it as a necessary first step to choosing a paint color and furniture. I don't think you need a bedding set, but it sets the tone for your decor, IMO. :) There are TONS of fun websites, you don't have to buy from a baby store. Ours is from CSNbaby (or something like that) and it was deeply discounted.

GL! It is totally overwhelming... but fun :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"