Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Umm, worried about SIL

She's 37w pg with baby #2. Her first was 6lb12oz. She is only measuring 31w. But her Dr. isn't worried. Isn't that a bit small?!!

Please tell me I'm just freaking out for no reason.

Re: Umm, worried about SIL

• I had twins and my fundal height measured on track for a singleton until the very end.  (And they were very good weights for twins born at 37 weeks.) Unless the baby is measuring really small by u/s I wouldn't be too concerned.  Some people just carry small for whatever reason.
  • Is she measuring small when they measure how fundal height or is the baby measuring small via u/s?

Fundal height I wouldn't be as worried about.  People can measure 6 weeks either way and still be fine.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageAMYfromKY:

Is she measuring small when they measure how fundal height or is the baby measuring small via u/s?

Fundal height I wouldn't be as worried about.  People can measure 6 weeks either way and still be fine.   

Both. To quote my sil "He [her Dr.] said she'll be really small."

• I think you're freaking out for no reason.  It's getting cliche, but if the doc isn't worried, she shouldn't be either.  If it was me though, I would tell myself that, but I would be freaking out and googling like crazy!  Embarrassed
  • So wait, the BABY is measuring 6 weeks small by u/s?  If she's relatively sure of her due date then yes I would be concerned.  A lot concerned.
  • imageleslie13510:
    So wait, the BABY is measuring 6 weeks small by u/s?  If she's relatively sure of her due date then yes I would be concerned.  A lot concerned.

Baby is approximately 5lbs and due next week. I am freaking out and really worried!!

• The baby could be laying transverse, causing small fundal height. I had a friend who's baby was oblique (diagonal) the whole time...you couldn't even tell she was pregnant and never even needed maternity clothes. Her baby was average size.
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageg8orell:
    The baby could be laying transverse, causing small fundal height. I had a friend who's baby was oblique (diagonal) the whole time...you couldn't even tell she was pregnant and never even needed maternity clothes. Her baby was average size.

Head down, dilated to 2cm.

• image*blondie*:

imageg8orell:
    The baby could be laying transverse, causing small fundal height. I had a friend who's baby was oblique (diagonal) the whole time...you couldn't even tell she was pregnant and never even needed maternity clothes. Her baby was average size.

Hmmmmmm. Is she freaking out?

Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageg8orell:
    image*blondie*:

imageg8orell:

Hmmmmmm. Is she freaking out?

I'm only talking to her through text and she seems fine. But both my mil and sil are very lax on everything. My dh is the voice of reason in his family.

• 5 pounds is more like 34-35 weeks for average fetal weight.  Still small, but not as concerning as 31 week size.  My babes came out at 5lbs7 and 5lbs8 at 37 weeks and did great.  No NICU time, no feeding issues, just a little jaundice for DD.  They went home with us when I was discharged and everything.

Her baby is small (and of course the u/s can be off by a bit) but not super concerning especially if she normally has small babies, and is only 37 weeks (so still technically 3 weeks to grow).

• My OB told me that DS would be at most 8 pounds.  My fundal height was behind.  My last u/s at 30 weeks said average to slightly below average.  DS was 8lb 12oz, 21.75 inches long, and surprised everyone how big he was.

ETA:  My friend delivered her DD at 39 weeks and her DD was 5 lb and some odd ounces.  The baby was full term, healthy, and petite.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I measured really small and had a 6lb 11oz kid.  I did have low fluid levels near the end though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Missed m/c 10/25/10 @ 11.5 weeks

• I was measuring the same way with my son, and my doctor was concerned. He mentioned all these terms mostly terrifying if you google them. He had me going to the hospital weekly to have the babys heart monitored and I had weekly ultrasounds. He induced me 9 days early because he said I wasn't growing so the baby wasn't.

I was terrified about was was going to happen in the delivery room, my doc even had the pediatric doc close by thinking there was going to be a problem. My son was 6lbs 12oz, extremely healthy and still is, he's a very chubby active and happy baby. I wouldn't worry to much, even if the baby is small it can still be healthy, big baby doesn't mean a healthy one. GL

• image*blondie*:

imageleslie13510:
    So wait, the BABY is measuring 6 weeks small by u/s?  If she's relatively sure of her due date then yes I would be concerned.  A lot concerned.

Baby is approximately 5lbs and due next week. I am freaking out and really worried!!

I'm confused.  If she's 37 weeks, she's not due next week.

If her Dr isn't worried, I wouldn't be worried.  She's got 3 weeks left and those u/s can be off by something like a pound.

imageimage

• imagerobbie3982:
    image*blondie*:

imageleslie13510:

I'm confused.  If she's 37 weeks, she's not due next week.

If her Dr isn't worried, I wouldn't be worried.  She's got 3 weeks left and those u/s can be off by something like a pound.

Her original edd was march 30th. She changed Dr.'s and her new edd is April 15th. So that is where the 37w is from. But after talking to her (while typing this post) she is more sure the march 30th edd being correct and the baby arriving sooner rather than later.

• Is she a small person? I'm a fairly petite person & DD was only 5 pounds 12 ounces. She was 2 weeks early, but she was still full term. Even now, she's still a peanut, only in the 30 percentiles. DH & I are both small people though so I think she's going to stay petite. Maybe your sil is one of those who just has small babies. 
  • imageJules G:
    Is she a small person? I'm a fairly petite person & DD was only 5 pounds 12 ounces. She was 2 weeks early, but she was still full term. Even now, she's still a peanut, only in the 30 percentiles. DH & I are both small people though so I think she's going to stay petite. Maybe your sil is one of those who just has small babies. 

MIL is like this.  Out of 5 kids, 3 were 6 something and 2 were 5 something.  DH was a 6 something and he's now over 6 feet tall.  SIL was a 5 something and she's 5'8".

imageimage

• I measured 34 or 35 weeks at 40 weeks and had an ultrasound the day I was induced.  He measured 5 pounds.   They induced me for low fluid and because of his lack of growth they thought he would grow better outside. There was even a high risk team in the room for delivery so they could sweep him to the NICU if needed. Imagine everyones surprise when he came out screaming at 7 pounds 11.5 oz.  dont worry :)
  • FWIW I measured exactly on track, like to the day (which we were certain of), and DS was born at 38 weeks, 1 day and was 4 lbs 8oz.  (And perfectly healthy).
  • sam19sam19 member
    I always measured about 4 weeks behind and Natalie was a hefty 8 lbs 10 oz when she was born.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"