Single Parents

Highlights Gone bad...

So, some of you knew I was getting my hair highlighted yesterday.  My brother's GF is a hair school graduate.  She came over and did the highlights.  While I was washing the stuff out, I noticed huge clumps of blonde falling into the sink.  She started acting weird and saying "oh it's just the normal hair that you always lose".  I realized at that point that something was wrong...  I started running my fingers through it and clumps were just disintegrating in my hand.  She and my bro left pretty quickly.  The color looks faboo, but yeah, now half of it is falling or going to fall out (or at least break off).  I read up online that it was because she left the bleach in too long.  So i spent the rest of the night first with a deep conditioner in my hair, then mayo. 

I spoke to a friend that owns a hair salon (with a great rep) today and now I have to color the hair back.  it still may need to be cut off, but this is a first step in seeing how much we can salvage.  

Needless to say, I will never let bleach touch my hair again.  I'm a mess.

Re: Highlights Gone bad...

• UGH.  I hope it's just normal pp hair loss instead of something worse.  I lose handfulls of hair everyday and have for about 6 weeks.  I hope your friend can fix it.  GL! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If the color looks great, why change it back? I would think that would be more harmful to your hair that just leaving it. I'm sorry to hear about your hair loss :( I have so freaking much hair that I wish that would happen to me. Seriously, every salon I go to claims I have the most hair they've ever seen - and I am able to fool them when I flat iron it.

imageimage

TheseFourButton-1.png

• Loading the player...
  • mrgnmrgn member
    How long did she leave it on for? It must have been a long time for that to happen. I've played around with bleach quite a bit and never have I had that happen! That sucks!
  • I'm sorry! I use to color my hair like every week or two and never had this happen. (my best friend was did hair so ya know) She fried mine once and it didn't do this. My hair use to be really curly though and since she fried it, it isn't really curly. I don't know if I would die it back. If it looks good I would leave it. There is no way coloring it again would be better.
  • and when I say better, I mean better for your hair. Let chemicals on it the better now.
  • Oh no!  I can't believe she didn't try to help you fix it!  You sure she wasn't a beauty school dropout?
  • ok so here's the scoop.  We are using a protein filler then coloring back to the darker red to get some pigment back into the hair and make it not look like straw and to give it some more nourishment.  I'm using a demi-permanent color made from soy and with no ammonia so it won't damage the hair at all.  Plus the developer is only level 10 as well. 

My hair looks SO weird.  The colors look cool in some spots and in others it's blatant where she screwed up.  UGH!  I swear I am never letting bleach near my hair again.

Here's what the healthy part looks like:  

And here's the straw on the end...

• You are a far better woman than I. I might have choked her the way Homer chokes Bart on the Simpsons. Keep us posted with the recovery ;)
  • If you are okay with the color, I'd keep it that way and not even do the dye back. Even a level 10 developer has ammonia in it. I'd just go in for a really good haircut and if you want to keep it long, go in more frequently for trims or chop it all of and go for a fun short look if you want to get rid of all the dry ends. And stock up on deep conditioning treatments you can do at home between salon visits.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"