2nd Trimester
Options

If your water breaks/go into labor while you are at work...

What will your plan be?  Will you drive yourself to hospital and meet husband there?  Will you go home first?  Will you wait at work for hubby to pick you up and go to hospital together?  I guess it is never to early to start thinking about the plan.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If your water breaks/go into labor while you are at work...

• Options

I would most likely drive to the hospital myself (and only because it's 5 minutes away from where I work)

• Options
    I will call DH as I walk across the street to the hospital Stick out tongue
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It'll depend on what your contractions are like. If  you are having them bad enough that you need to go to the hospital you will not be able to drive yourself.

If you are in very early labor or your water breaks and you aren't having contractions yet then you'll probably go home to wait a bit before going in (depending your doc's rules of course).

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    LCB34LCB34 member
    I would drive home and meet hubby.  Our house is about 15 min from both of our jobs and is a great middle point to the hospital.
  • Options
    my DF is w/o a license at the moment...so ill be driving home to pick him up lol, then driving us both to the hospital.
  • Options
    image**Octoberbride09**:

I would most likely drive to the hospital myself (and only because it's 5 minutes away from where I work)

This. But a lot would depend on how labor starts. I'd go instantly if water broke, since there's a risk for infection etc. But if I'm just starting contractions, will let DH/secretary know and time things. Secretary will probably tell me to get sweet tushie home at least, but there's no point in going right to hospital until pains are so far apart and so many an hour.

• Options

Thoroughly freak out all of the single men that work around me? Big Smile  I'd most likely call DH and figure out what to do from there. 

However, my employer allows pregnant women to leave work 2 weeks before their due dates with no impact on the length of maternity leave they get after delivery, so the chances of me going into labor while here are very small.

• Options
    DH & I work together.  He gets off 2.5hrs before me though.  If we're here at the same time, he'll drive me.  If not, I'm sure my boss will insist on driving me and having DH meet us there.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I would leave and take my office chair with me to have it professionally cleaned. I think about this ALL the time.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ohhhh....I have no clue. I do have a fear of my water breaking and going into labor while at work though. I really don't want to take off beforehand as I want to save as much time to spend with DS after he's born. I don't want to just be sitting at home twiddling my thumbs waiting for the magic moment to happen. That being said, if I my water to break/go into labor while at work I'm not sure I could drive myself to the hospital I plan to deliver at. I work 26 miles (30 minute drive) from home/our hospital. DH works probably 25 miles from me, so waiting for him to come pick me up really wouldn't be an option. Definitely something that I/we need to think about.

Although there is a hospital 1/2 mile from my work that I could go to in an emergency situation. Wouldn't be ideal, but would work, if need be.

• Options
    I am a SAHM. But if I am at home and MH is at work - I will call him to come home. He works about 3 miles from the house. My neighbor will either take DD - or DD will go the hospital with us and my stepmom will come up there to be with her or take her to their house (depending on how labor is going). I will also add our hospital is about an hour away.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Well we share a car but I work on the same campus he goes to Law School at so I will tell him to run to the car or to come pick me up, depending on who has the car. DH will drive me
    "Everything is possible for him who believes.?
  • Options
    We are really lucky. We work together in the same company (different buidigns). So about 2ish weeks before, we will always drive in together to play it safe.
  • Options
    I realllly hope it doesn't happen.  I'd absolutely prefer to drive myself home to meet DH, and labor there until ready to head to the hospital.  Given a fast labor history, common sense and the OB are probably going to put the kibosh on that plan and I'm going to have to ask a coworker to drive me to the hospital.  Ugh, I so don't want to have to labor in one of my coworkers cars...

• Options

I work 30 minutes from home and it is the opposite direction of the hospital, which is about an hour away.  The plan will be to have FIL pick me up and take me home (he is a deputy sheriff and is on duty during the day).  Then DH would take me to the hospital.  If FIL is busy either our secretary or principal would probably start to drive me home and DH would meet us in the middle.  It is something we've talked about since we are so far away from the hospital.  Although there are 2 hospitals that are closer in an emergency situation.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If I just started having contractions I would drive home and wait for him and then go to the hospital.  We both work about 7-9 miles from the house, just in opposite directions.

If my water broke I would so to the Associate health room and wait for DH to pick me up and go straight to the hospital from there.  Probably have security drive me to my car to get the over night bag and car seat while I waited.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I will be at the hospital in Labor and delivery if that happens!  So I will be in a good place :)
  • Options
    The hospital is like 5 minutes from where I work, so I would definitely have DH meet me there.  However, I would hope one of my coworkers would offer to drive me to the actual hospital.
  • Options

My water broke while I was on the toilet at home and I never got contractions on my own.  So, if it happened at work and I didn't have contractions, I'd just drive myself home and then we'd leisurely make our way to the hospital.

If this is something you're worried about, it wouldn't hurt to have some absorbant pads (like heavy flow ones, you'll need them for post birth anyway) and/or towels that you can use at work just in case.  Even though my water breaking was pretty much a main event, I continued to leak until I got to the hospital.

• Options
    When I get towards the end, I plan on starting to take my suitcase with me everywhere we go, just in case! And, thankfully, I work with my DH, so we'll be able to leave together. :o)
  • Options
    I'll call my OB to see what I should do, then either drive the 5 minutes home, or call DH then drive the 3 minutes in the other direction to the hospital. Big Smile
    Batman likes to watch cartoons on the weekends. Whatever.

"I'll gladly take cold sores over eye herpes" -ElieFin
    "Unicorn glitter gives me UTIs." -Leila'sMommy
  • Options
    I'll probably go home and wait for DH there.  Although, I would have to figure out what to do with DS, who would be at school. 
    Big Brother Logan Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Miles Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Bryan Smith - Freelance Photography Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I would drive home and meet DH there.  I live within 5 minutes of work so it wouldn't be too difficult.  DH works maybe 15 minutes in the opposite direction.  Besides I would only want one car at the hospital.

I guess I would also add.  I'm not one to yell I'm in labor let's go.  I only head to the hospital once I can't take it anymore.

• Options
    My hospital is practically visible from my office.  Someone can give me a quick ride if I really need it.  If I think I might be in early labor in the morning DH & I just won't go to work that day.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• Options
    I work at the hospital I will deliver at, so my plan is to walk up to L&D and wait on DH to get there.  I am going to keep my bag with me starting around 35 weeks just to be safe.
  • Options
    I'm not 100% sure. DH is close to the hospital (as is our house) but work is 25 minutes away. I would most likely have a CW drive me and I'll leave the hospital bag in DHs car so we wouldn't have to worry about that.
  • Options
    One of my biggest fears, even before I was pregnant was to have my water break at work.  More b/c I will feel embarrassed, silly I know.  Anyway, my DH and I carpool to work everyday, he is 2 miles away.  So he will pick me up. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagewntrbride05:
    I work at the hospital I will deliver at, so my plan is to walk up to L&D and wait on DH to get there.  I am going to keep my bag with me starting around 35 weeks just to be safe.

That's convenient!  Are you planning on working until the day of then?

Batman likes to watch cartoons on the weekends. Whatever.

"I'll gladly take cold sores over eye herpes" -ElieFin
    "Unicorn glitter gives me UTIs." -Leila'sMommy
  • Options

After I freak out everyone I work with I plan on calling DH to pick me up. The hospital is closer to my job than home.

Since I work in Downtown Chicago none of us drive to work, so I don't have a choice but to wait for DH.

• Options

I will probably get on the train and go to the hospital and have my H meet me there.

The hospital is like 3 blocks from a train stop, so hopefully I will be able to walk that far :)

• Options
    I work in a hospital so I would just walk down the hall and up one floor. 
  • Options

I will get a taxi voucher from my supervisor and be whisked home where I will give birth!  I was just talking about this today with a co-worker!  When I get closer I'll see about getting the taxi voucher in my office so I won't have to climb a bunch of stairs to get it and deal with her too...

• Options
    GBCKGBCK member

I commute just over an hour.The Mr' works local to home

If I"m feeling safe to do it, I'll drive to my paent's house, and they'll take me from there.

If I"m not, I call the parents to come get me.  (or one of the nice ladies I work w/ would take me...but, I'd rather my parents)

If parents aren't around, MIl and FIL come get me.

• Options

imagefuzzy305:
    When I get towards the end, I plan on starting to take my suitcase with me everywhere we go, just in case! And, thankfully, I work with my DH, so we'll be able to leave together. :o)

This - it's a great benefit to working together. 

• Options
    I haven't discussed this w/ my DH yet, but I will probably just drive to the hospital myself. Although DH would probably tell me to wait so he can come and pick me up. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicMy food blog: Blissfully Delicious BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My work is 10 minutes from the hospital, but my house is an hour.  I would probably drive to the hospital from work and have DH meet me there.  If contractions or pain is really bad I'd probably have a coworker drive me and drop me off.
  • Options
    I'm not really sure what I would do. I guess if it's actually time to go to the hospital we would both take cabs and meet there. Someone would have to go home at some point to get my hospital bag and the car seat - probably could ask a friend to do that. I guess the other option is to have two hospital bags, one at home and one at work.
  • Options
    Totally depends on what one's "water breaking/going into labor" is like. My water broke, and I had no contractions. I could easily drive myself to the hospital. Not so for all folks.
  • Options

Both of our offices and our house are in close proximity to the hospital.  If labor hits fast enough that I have to go straight to the hospital, I will call DH and have him come get me from work.  Otherwise, I will drive myself home (passing right by the hospital on the way) and labor there until we need to go.

• Options
    DH works a mile up the street from me and we are less than two miles from the hospital, so I will call him, have him pick me up and off we'll go to the hospital.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"