Minnesota Babies

What kind of bottles do you use?

I'm currently using the bottles that came with our Medela breast pump and some Evenflo bottles with received as a gift. I'm exclusively pumping and need to buy some more bottles soon. Our daughter doesn't seem to have any acid reflux issues or issues with different bottle nipples (she's had 4 different bottle nipples and done fine with all of them). Does anyone use Playtex drop-ins? I never thought I would try this type because they seem so wasteful but I feel like I am constantly washing bottles. Any you recommend trying?

Photo taken at 16 months old
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What kind of bottles do you use?

• TOTALLY recommend Drop-In's! I love them...it's all we used, and we're using them again this time. I thought the same thing...ugh, what a waste, use and toss, and having the buy a box every few weeks. But really, I do NOT have time to wash bottles, especially to get them super clean and sterile, so there is no way I could switch. DD never once spit up, had any reflux issues or anything like that...another great thing about Drop-In's, you can get every drop of air out of them, which is really helpful in preventing any of those issues. If you buy a bottle, they come with a few free Drop-In's, I think it's definitely worth trying out.
    Ashley & Christian
  • We use born free because it is the ONLY thing LO will take, if she would try other things I would do the drop-ins as I have heard raves about them.
  • Loading the player...
  • We are using the Avent bottles, and in the beginning I loved them.  For some reason in the past few months they have started to leak.  We have only hand washed them so I am not sure why this is happening now. 

P.S.  If you do go with the drop-ins, let me know.  I have one you can have that we tried once but never ended up using.

• We use Nuk and Evenflo Purely Comft.  She does well with both.  I have 9 bottles so I only have to wash once a day and every other day the dishwasher needs to be run so I put them in with that load then I don't have to handwash that day.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • We used VentAire the first time around, but they changed and I odn't like them as much this time. Honestly?  We've been using the cheapy Gerbers that are $3 for 3.  Baby Girl LOVES them.
  • imageangel1015:

We are using the Avent bottles, and in the beginning I loved them.  For some reason in the past few months they have started to leak.  We have only hand washed them so I am not sure why this is happening now. 

P.S.  If you do go with the drop-ins, let me know.  I have one you can have that we tried once but never ended up using.

Bummer about the leaking. :( I almost bought Avent bottles the other day but decided to read reviews first and leaking is the one thing that many people commented on. I'll let you know if we decide to go with the drop-ins. Once it gets nicer out maybe we could meet for a walk around one of the lakes by you. I'd love to see Hayden again.

• imageMrsAshley16:
    TOTALLY recommend Drop-In's! I love them...it's all we used, and we're using them again this time. I thought the same thing...ugh, what a waste, use and toss, and having the buy a box every few weeks. But really, I do NOT have time to wash bottles, especially to get them super clean and sterile, so there is no way I could switch. DD never once spit up, had any reflux issues or anything like that...another great thing about Drop-In's, you can get every drop of air out of them, which is really helpful in preventing any of those issues. If you buy a bottle, they come with a few free Drop-In's, I think it's definitely worth trying out.

The same for us.  If it makes you feel any better, the liners are recyclable.  I like the Target generic liners better than the real ones and they are way cheaper. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We went with the drop-ins for the bottle washing reason too.  We like them a lot.
  • imageariel06:

imageMrsAshley16:
    TOTALLY recommend Drop-In's! I love them...it's all we used, and we're using them again this time. I thought the same thing...ugh, what a waste, use and toss, and having the buy a box every few weeks. But really, I do NOT have time to wash bottles, especially to get them super clean and sterile, so there is no way I could switch. DD never once spit up, had any reflux issues or anything like that...another great thing about Drop-In's, you can get every drop of air out of them, which is really helpful in preventing any of those issues. If you buy a bottle, they come with a few free Drop-In's, I think it's definitely worth trying out.

The same for us.  If it makes you feel any better, the liners are recyclable.  I like the Target generic liners better than the real ones and they are way cheaper. 

OK, where were you a few months ago?? I didn't even know they were recyclable! I agree with using the Target brand...we always had a little trouble with them for full 8oz bottles though...they worked great with breastmilk, but once we were using formula, it was hard to make a full 8oz bottle in the Target brand ones (they don't expand like the Playtex ones). From what I remember, they redid the Target brand ones to make them BPA free too, which is great.

Ashley & Christian
  • We used primarily Avent bottles, with some Medela ones here and there.  Overall though, Liv hated bottles, so I am not much help here.

I have to give you major props for exclusively pumping!  You should be very proud, for however long you are able to make it!

Olivia never had formula, and I work full-time so I pumped quite a bit.  But, she hated bottles (about as much as I hated pumping them, lol) so we nursed when I wasn't working.  I can not imagine the commitment it takes to pump full time... I think I would go crazy!

I know pumping isn't the most fun thing ever, so I just wanted to offer encouragement.  Awesome job momma!

• Dr. Browns!

They are great!! Smile

BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBeccaMarie:

I have to give you major props for exclusively pumping!  You should be very proud, for however long you are able to make it!

I know pumping isn't the most fun thing ever, so I just wanted to offer encouragement.  Awesome job momma!

Thanks!!! My hands-free pumping bra has been a life-saver so I actually feel like I can do something while I pump (like surf the internet). I have a really good supply so far :fingers crossed: so I've been able to freeze 18-20 oz per day in addition to feeding Greta. I'm hoping I can keep freezing so that when I decide I've had enough pumping I can still give her breast milk for another few months.

• We use Drop-ins daring the day (LOVE them so much, plus we travel with the shorter one but use the larger liners) and use Nuks at night (they are ok but once you get into the level 3 Aiden has found a way to "spray" formula everywhere) 
  • imageilovebijou:
    imageBeccaMarie:

Thanks!!! My hands-free pumping bra has been a life-saver so I actually feel like I can do something while I pump (like surf the internet). I have a really good supply so far :fingers crossed: so I've been able to freeze 18-20 oz per day in addition to feeding Greta. I'm hoping I can keep freezing so that when I decide I've had enough pumping I can still give her breast milk for another few months.

You are freezing 18-20 ounces a day in addition to her fresh bottles?  That is awesome! 

(I am sure you already have this figured out, but just in case - make sure that when the time comes you are properly rotating your milk and using up your freezer stash timely, so that you don't end up having to toss frozen milk)

One of my good friends has a son that isn't quite 9 months old yet, and she just quit pumping yesterday.  He has never had formula, and at his current 'intake' of milk (which should drop as he gets older) they will hit one year old with over 1,000 ounces in the freezer.  So, it totally can be done!

Good luck making it as far as you want to!

• Dr. Browns!  I loved them!  They were a little harder to clean, but honestly, if you just put them in a basket in the dishwasher, they get as clean as any other bottle. 

I've used several different bottles because I used to be a teacher in an infant room.  Avent bottles leaked the most.  Born Free is another bottle that I would recommend. Drop-ins are kind of a pita, if you ask me (but they are probably easier on the cleaning side, I don't have any experience on that end).

The best part about the Dr. Brown bottles is that you can pump right into them without an extension piece.  I loved that when I was working, especially because I would usually pump 5 ounces per breast at a time, which would save me from having to transfer from the medela bottles mid-pumping session.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We used Dr. Browns and loved them.  However, I will say they did longer to clean because of all the parts. FWIW, my friend used them too for her third baby and said that if she could do it over she'd use the Playtex Drop-Ins, which she used for her first two, due to having to clean so many parts.

That's awesome that you're EPing and it sounds like you have a great supply.  I EPed with Harper for a few weeks and couldn't sustain.  I debating on what to do with this.

Just curious, how often do you pump and how long do you pump for?  And what pump do you have and where did you get your hands free bra from?

imageimage

Children Photography Photo Credit: Heather Barta Photography

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"