Attachment Parenting

NAPR: Who on earth is this f'ing rude?!?

2»

Re: NAPR: Who on earth is this f'ing rude?!?

• And just to clear this up if he'd said "I really can't help right now" that would be ok? But him saying no while ushering his scared dog off his property is wrong?

::eyeroll::

image Josephine is 4.
  • LOL at blocking Lanie.  You're blocking the person with the most sense that I've seen on these boards lo these many years.

I'm glad you apologized for being defensive.  I'm not sure why disagreeing with you = being rude.  I am afraid of strange dogs, and if your dog came barreling into my yard, without any sort of leash or restraint, and scared my dog and me, you would have been on your own.  Where is your midwestern sense of neighborly duty?  Like, you know, managing your animals rather than expecting others to help you when you get in over your head?  

You were irresponsible in your handling of your dogs, not your neighbor.  Oh yeah, and I'm midwestern born and raised and have helped many an old lady with their groceries.  

• Loading the player...
  • imagePlainandTall:

7river... I guess the world is full of all sorts of different people, some people have empathy and others don't, I don't know that it could be called a midwestern thing even though that's where I am now, one of the kindest acts I've ever encountered was from young man in New Jersey, a total stranger just driving by, who gave me a ride- and when he dropped me off- a denim jacket and a pair of shoes when I had literally run out of my father's house to escape as a teen.  I guess he didn't have to get involved, I didn't have to ask him for help, but he saw a person in need and chose to do a kind thing.

I have gone out with a herding stick and helped my neighbors round up their cows off my farm and drive them home. 

I once saw a found dog poster hanging and remembered weeks earlier that our neighbors had been looking for their pug... I wrote down the number and drove it to them and it turned out to be their dog. 

Another time a horse who had lived nearby was moved due to a death in the family and a custody conflict between the widow and stepdaughter.  The horse broke out of her new corral and hurt herself in the process... she made it almost all the way back to her old home cross country- but stopped 1/2 mile short... at my farm.  The cut on her leg was infected and dripping globs of puss.  I recognised her, but the widow at the place where I knew the horse from originally refused to help at all because of the bad blood with the stepdaughter. I put the horse up in my barn and began giving injections of penicillin. I was finally able to get that girl's number and she came to my farm right away and in great distress, she was not a horseman and had no trailer, didn't know how to do injections or to tend to a horse wound, needed to build a stronger coral, and was flat broke, young and pregnant.  I told her I'd keep the horse till she was ready.  Four days later she came again with her boyfriend and a borrowed trailer, I showed them how to park it so the sun would shine into the trailer, making it easier to load her.  I showed her how to do the injections, gave her the bottle of penicillin and some needles, a foot high stack of old horse magazines and two bags of baby clothes.

I adopted a stray starving pit bull off the streets of Philadelphia.  Best dog of my life.

Once my neighbor shot a deer and had trouble locating it, we all went out with flashlights to help find and mark the blood trail.

One time I was boarding a mare at my farm temporarily when it was time to wean her colt.  She broke out and tried to run home to her baby... she really ran... for miles.  I finally caught up to her with my car and was able to catch her... but there I was, miles from home with a horse on a rope and a car in the road.  The owner of the farm right there told me he'd keep the mare tied in his barn till my husband was able to give me a ride back with a saddle.

These are just a few examples off the top of my head, on the giving and receiving side of things... that just demonstrate normal human kindness, courtesy and neighborliness. Sure none of these situations are ideal... but I think the people involved did good. 7river, you aren't a nut to wish for what should be normal treatment of people and animals for other people. Your dog story pales in comparison to the stories I just shared... as far as what it would have taken for that man to be kind.

Lanie- I find you to be a very toxic personality.  I have never seen a kind or helpful post from you, maybe they are out there- but for the most part you seem to relish snarking, criticising and being mean. I am going to try the block feature out and see how it works, go ahead and keep up with the snarky rolled eyes and mocking vitriol if you must, but I won't be seeing any more of it.

plain it must be lonely up there on your high horse.

7 I think that your neighbor was rude. He could of at least helped or tried to find someone who could. Yes it sucks that he didn't. However, here's how I look at it. No one is responsible for my pets just because I choose to have them. Just like no one is responsible for my kid just because I choose to have them. So if no one wants to help me with them than I can't fault them for that. Do I think they suck & that I'd like to throat punch them? Sure I do. I just can't really fault them for it because I don't know what their story is. Maybe he's just a grumpy bastard who needs to get laid. Maybe he's Dahmer and had a victum in the house that you interupted him torturing. Maybe you got off lucky? Ever think of it that way?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Here is the thing that seems to go right over your head, you didn't ask for a leash, or help getting your child home, you asked a perfect stranger who was standing there looking at your "*** on a leash" dogs who had his dog all riled up and asked him for "help".  Pure and simple "help.  How the F is he supposed to know that means, that it means hey buddy I only live one block away can you help me out with a leash of push the stroller for me.  For all this guy knows you live 10 blocks away.  

If I were in his position and in the heat of the moment you asked me for help, as your trying to control your out of control dogs you know what I would have thought you meant, for help controlling your dogs.  HELLO that is the immediate situation in front of the guys and if you blame him for not wanting to help you control the dogs that you yourself have described than you are a might bit self absorbed.

• I am from the Midwest and I wouldn't have helped you either.

Your dog jumped the fence. That is your problem, not mine.  

If that makes me rude, fine, but I wouldn't have messed with some strangers large dogs either. No thanks.

• Well, you are that f'ing rude, apparently. Learn how to control your 'assholes on leashes' and then maybe people would be more willing to help. Who puts their dog in a yard with no collar? I'd ask if you were kidding, but I'd only get a six paragraph answer about how I am insensitive to your dogs' needs, so I will refrain.

I was born in the Midwest, and I still live here. I am as helpful and friendly as you can get. But I would not have helped you because your dogs are 1) Big and 2) Collarless and unruly. 

I may have helped you if you had specifically asked me to push your daughter home, but it would depend on how crazy you looked. Truly.  

• Took you guys long enough to venture over.

Becuase I could have never anticipated the drama that would ensue from this post, if I must clarify, I specifically said to the guy, "I'm SO sorry. I was on a walk and my dog must have jumped the fence. I have my daughter and I don't think I can get her and both the dogs home by myself. Can you help me?"

So yea, interpret it as you may but I'm standing ground that even if he thought I meant help with the dogs (which I did not), the nice thing to do would have been to offer a leash or to push the stroller or to keep an eye on my DD while I walked the dogs home. I would have been able to see her the whole time it was so close. He also could have asked for more details if they were really that important to him (as some of you seem to think they were) but the truth is, given his reaction, he wouldn't have helped regardless. He did pause to see what I needed help with or to consider whether there was something he could do, he slammed the door.

And your visualizations are so dramatic. I had both dogs under control when I asked this and his dog was already inside. It took me all of 30 seconds to lasso her with the other leash and pull her out of the way. It's not like my dog was running around being a threat to him, his property or his dog. An no, Lanie, he was not outside getting his dog when this happened, his dog was on a staked tie out in the front yard. If he didn't want it barking, he should consider putting it somewhere besides 3 ft from the public sidewalk.

I'm still lol'ing at all the "I'd call animal control" because I'd really love to see what they would say about a dog that for the first time ever jumped the fence and ran to her owner and was put back inside in under 5 minutes. They would have laughed at you too.

• imagePlainandTall:

7river... I guess the world is full of all sorts of different people, some people have empathy and others don't, I don't know that it could be called a midwestern thing even though that's where I am now, one of the kindest acts I've ever encountered was from young man in New Jersey, a total stranger just driving by, who gave me a ride- and when he dropped me off- a denim jacket and a pair of shoes when I had literally run out of my father's house to escape as a teen.  I guess he didn't have to get involved, I didn't have to ask him for help, but he saw a person in need and chose to do a kind thing.

I have gone out with a herding stick and helped my neighbors round up their cows off my farm and drive them home. 

I once saw a found dog poster hanging and remembered weeks earlier that our neighbors had been looking for their pug... I wrote down the number and drove it to them and it turned out to be their dog. 

Another time a horse who had lived nearby was moved due to a death in the family and a custody conflict between the widow and stepdaughter.  The horse broke out of her new corral and hurt herself in the process... she made it almost all the way back to her old home cross country- but stopped 1/2 mile short... at my farm.  The cut on her leg was infected and dripping globs of puss.  I recognised her, but the widow at the place where I knew the horse from originally refused to help at all because of the bad blood with the stepdaughter. I put the horse up in my barn and began giving injections of penicillin. I was finally able to get that girl's number and she came to my farm right away and in great distress, she was not a horseman and had no trailer, didn't know how to do injections or to tend to a horse wound, needed to build a stronger coral, and was flat broke, young and pregnant.  I told her I'd keep the horse till she was ready.  Four days later she came again with her boyfriend and a borrowed trailer, I showed them how to park it so the sun would shine into the trailer, making it easier to load her.  I showed her how to do the injections, gave her the bottle of penicillin and some needles, a foot high stack of old horse magazines and two bags of baby clothes.

I adopted a stray starving pit bull off the streets of Philadelphia.  Best dog of my life.

Once my neighbor shot a deer and had trouble locating it, we all went out with flashlights to help find and mark the blood trail.

One time I was boarding a mare at my farm temporarily when it was time to wean her colt.  She broke out and tried to run home to her baby... she really ran... for miles.  I finally caught up to her with my car and was able to catch her... but there I was, miles from home with a horse on a rope and a car in the road.  The owner of the farm right there told me he'd keep the mare tied in his barn till my husband was able to give me a ride back with a saddle.

These are just a few examples off the top of my head, on the giving and receiving side of things... that just demonstrate normal human kindness, courtesy and neighborliness. Sure none of these situations are ideal... but I think the people involved did good. 7river, you aren't a nut to wish for what should be normal treatment of people and animals for other people. Your dog story pales in comparison to the stories I just shared... as far as what it would have taken for that man to be kind.

Lanie- I find you to be a very toxic personality.  I have never seen a kind or helpful post from you, maybe they are out there- but for the most part you seem to relish snarking, criticising and being mean. I am going to try the block feature out and see how it works, go ahead and keep up with the snarky rolled eyes and mocking vitriol if you must, but I won't be seeing any more of it.

Whenever you post, I hear the teacher from Charlie Brown ... 'WAH WAH WAH WAH WAHHHHHHHH'.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• imagePlainandTall:

This one time.....at band camp?  I SAVED AN ANIMAL'S LIFE!!!!

image7river7wed7:

And your visualizations are so dramatic. I had both dogs under control when I asked this and his dog was already inside. It took me all of 30 seconds to lasso her with the other leash and pull her out of the way.

I'm still lol'ing at all the "I'd call animal control" because I'd really love to see what they would say about a dog that for the first time ever jumped the fence and ran to her owner and was put back inside in under 5 minutes. They would have laughed at you too.

So, this whole dramatic saga was over in under 5 minutes?  I don't think you can claim to be scarred for life, no?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DS1 born June 2008 | m/c at 9w March 2011 | DS2 born April 2012
  • While I might have welcomed help with the dog, I don't blame him for not offering it, and I wouldn't have accepted having a total stranger push my child home while I was occupied with two unruly dogs.

• imageLoriFalce:

While I might have welcomed help with the dog, I don't blame him for not offering it, and I wouldn't have accepted having a total stranger push my child home while I was occupied with two unruly dogs.

Yea I'm sure that's exactly what you would have said if you were in that situation. Do you live in the ghetto? I can't imagine living somewhere I was scared to walk down the street in broad daylight with my neighbor. "I know I can see my house from here, but I'd rather struggle to keep the stroller from toppling instead of letting my neighbor help me..."

::insert eye roll::

Jumping on the bandwagon is cool and all, but this has been blown so far out of proportion that you all have reached the point of making things up that weren't even said. 

• image7river7wed7:
    imageLoriFalce:

While I might have welcomed help with the dog, I don't blame him for not offering it, and I wouldn't have accepted having a total stranger push my child home while I was occupied with two unruly dogs.

Yea I'm sure that's exactly what you would have said if you were in that situation. Do you live in the ghetto? I can't imagine living somewhere I was scared to walk down the street in broad daylight with my neighbor. "I know I can see my house from here, but I'd rather struggle to keep the stroller from toppling instead of letting my neighbor help me..."

Jumping on the bandwagon is cool and all, but this has been blown so far out of proportion that you all have reached the point of making things up that weren't even said. 

If I don't know this guy, I don't know him. I don't care how close he lives to my house. I'm not going to let him push my kid home while I am trying to wrangle 120 pounds of dogs.

And apparently the bandwagon jumping would have been A-ok if it was your wagon I was hitching a ride on? Last I checked, the majority of the posts were in your favor. To be brutally honest, I think if your dogs are too much for you to handle on a simple walk, you have no business keeping them, especially in a house with a yard with a fence they can jump. You're inviting having a dog inadvertently hurt somebody.

• image7river7wed7:
    imageLoriFalce:

Right because only in the ghetto do bad people live. They don't live in sweet old midwestern America's suburbs.  Good thing you live where no bad people are. lol

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Do you also go to the grocery store with a weapon to ward of the creepies? I was not suggesting that only bad people live in the ghetto, I was suggesting it would be ridiculous to be so afraid that a creepo could live next door that you wouldn't walk down your own street. Sure it's possible, but I'm not going to live my life in fear of everyone I don't know personal history on.

I don't live in suburbia, but it is a nice, friendly neighborhood. I guess I'm a bad mom because I would let a neighbor push my stroller. Oh the horror.

• LOL at this whole post & that it is still going.

7- It's not about doing good deeds or the safety of your neighborhood. Your uncollared dog was nuisance and your neighbor didn't feel obligated to help you. We can go on all day about why he should of and why he shouldn't of assisted you. There are reasons for both sides and you should recognize that.

I just don't get why so upset by it. I wouldn't expect or even ask someone for help like you did. Maybe you aren't as independent as some of us, I don't know...but stop acting so helpless. The neighbor didn't leave you & your baby stranded like you claim. You could of chosen to walk down back to your house & called someone for help get the dogs. You had other options. You are not a damsel in distress.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"