New Hampshire Babies

excersising, is it necessary?

i admit i'm a lazy person, i've absolutly hated gym ever since elementary school and to this day i don't like sports. the most i do is walking and swimming in the summer and thats it. in the winter i'll ice skate, and if it's a snow storm i'll take a walk because i think it's beautiful.

anyhow i live in new england, the winters are horrible. cold wet and gross out nearly all the time. not to mention this week there was a huge storm, which the power happened to go out as i was brushing my teeth, and theres another one in store for monday oh joy! anyhow i can't standing walking in the cold icky weather, and swimming isn't an option seeing as i don't have enough money for the gym.

so any other options? and is it totally necassary?

i'm not over weight, actually i'm very thin, i never really liked my body and i've always wished i was more heavy set to be perfectly honest.

sorry for carrying on for so long!

Re: excersising, is it necessary?

• Is it necessary for what?

We're all in the same boat as far as winter goes, since we're all in NH. I always find an excuse to not exercise. I know I should, but I don't. Walks in the nice weather is the extent of anything regular that I do.

• working out is really a pain!!! specially when ur tired & feeling sick!! i have found that on ondemand they have some really great workouts. i like the one's that have dancing in them mainly. dancing with the stars has some really good like salsa & teaching dances like that. maybe going out & dancing every once & awhile works as well. in all honesty u really should try 2 work out a few days a week, it'll really help with the whole energy thing. i mainly do it @ night cause it helps me feel more relaxed & i seem 2 sleep better. it will also help with the labor & keeping ur muscles relaxed & help u control ur breathing. i have 2 other children as well & every sat in the morning we put on some music & just kind of dance around the house.

• Loading the player...
  • I don't really think that's a question any of us can answer for you. Whether you decide to exercise is your own personal choice.

Because of my gestational diabetes I have to exercise, so through the yuckiness of winter I've been walking at the mall 5-6 days a week. I go at less busy times and it's more interesting than just walking on a treadmill at the gym (which bores me to tears).

• I guess if you're not concerned about your body and you hate exercise you're not going to self motivate.  Obviously there are a ton of benefits to working out that affect more than just your weight - body composition, cardiac fitness, cholesterol levels, etc.  I always hated it, but I was also really overweight and once I got into a routine I found it really cathartic.  Now I look forward to my runs or intense gym sessions, especially on high stress days.  Of course currently I'm reduced to light jogs and hill walking, but I can't wait to get back into shape.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Exercise is something that I concentrate on stressing on everyone now that I've been through a pregnancy of my own.  I had a symptom free pregnancy, no morning sickness/heartburn/fatigue/swelling etc. and I blame it entirely on the fact that I ran up to week 30.  A mile a day on the weekdays, granted we were running about 10-12 miles a week before we got pregnant and we cut it down to 5, so you definitely shouldn't be pushing yourself while pregnant.  

The key is to be active.  If you're active you're 'actively' flushing all of the toxins out of your system therefore you sleep better, feel less stressed, and become healthier.  Even if you're skinny exercising is important. I'm 5'3", almost 8 months pregnant, wearing size 5 jeans and I still weigh nearly 165 pounds.  Putting on bulk muscle helps you avoid all the soreness and water weight that comes with being inactive.  Even not pregnant I still weigh upwards of 150.

There are correct and incorrect ways to be healthy, but you have to learn to self motivate and be willing to make the sacrifices of time, comfort, and sometimes a little bit financially.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"