LGBT Parenting
Options

Advice for a Worrier?

Hi LGBT Parenting Folks!

I just wanted to say hello as I am a new kid on the block.  My wife and I are expecting our first child in October.  We are extremely excited, but I am probably more nervous at this point that everything will be ok with the pregnancy.  I am trying, for the sake of my wife's sanity, not to freak out over everything you read and hear, but I am naturally a worry wort, so trying to chill out has been hard for me.  If anyone has any advice for a new mom to be with pregnancy anxiety, I would love to hear it!  

Thanks so much!  

Re: Advice for a Worrier?

• Options

hi, welcome to the board and congratulations!

as far as worrying, are you carrying or is she? my wife carried, and i found that for myself--because i wasn't experiencing any of the things she was and she didn't have very intense...symptoms? side effects? so no running to the bathroom or any of that--it was so easy for me to worry about things going wrong or ask how and what she was feeling. a LOT.

well, and then there's the fact that i'm just a teensy bit highstrung. definitely more so than my wife. she keeps me even-keeled.

anyway, i found that a lot of that fear eased as she moved into the second trimester, we saw him on the ultrasound, and i was able to feel him move and see her belly growing--although again, she barely showed even at the end and was still wearing some of her regular clothes into the third trimester, but I could see it and that made a HUGE difference for me.

• Options

HI and welcome! In my case I'm carrying and my wife is the worry wart and it drives me crazy....I like to think positive, so my advice to you is dont let your wife know that your worried it really has an impact on her. Good luck.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Welcome! Which one of you is carrying?

My advice - if it's you - breath, relax and have fun.  I'm the pregnant one in my house and I worried plenty.  But after you see your baby a few times on the u/s it gets much easier to relax.  I was really lucky because I began to felt movement early.  This helped easy mind my too.  Of course now that I'm 38 weeks and the baby is beginning to run out of space and thus slow down I'm just as nervous - lol!

If your wife is carrying I bet she has a very similar set of worries.  Just let her know you're in it together and that you'll take things one week at a time. 9 months may seem like a long time but they will fly by!! So support her in the growth of your baby and while the worries will be there try your best to focus on the fun, new, happy stuff.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hi all,

I'm carrying (6 weeks 2 days) and I am constantly worrying.. about everything. I'm trying to make a conscious decision to force myself to relax. Everytime I feel my thoughts going haywire, I picture a stop sign and tell myself to stop and refocus on something else. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but at least I'm trying. I really do want to enjoy the pregnancy, if possible. It's so crazy to think so much is happening, but you can't really see it, and you have no control!

Congrats to all of us worriers. At least it's because we are pregnant!

• Options

Thanks for the advice everyone!  I really appreciate it!!

I have been extra anxious this week because my nausea (I'm the one carrying) has gone away, so it helped hearing your experiences as reassurance that I just need to chill out.

My wife and I are going in for our second u/s this Wednesday, so I will keep you all posted.

Thanks again!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"