Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Weird Question - Expired Preseed?

I have a few individual packages of Preseed left from when we were TTC DS that expired last year.  I was wanting to start using it again since we had been using saliva and I was reading that's not so great for TTC.  Would you use it even though its expired?  I mean there can't be anything that would really 'go bad' in it, especially in unopened individual packets, right? 
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Weird Question - Expired Preseed?

• Options

Absolutely not!  The biggest danger in using expired creams, gels, etc. is that the preservatives are no longer effective and bacteria can grow in the product!

I'm really lax on expiration dates of food stuff, because the sniff test will usually tell you if it's good, but don't risk it if it's going all up in your lady bits!!

• Options

I wouldn't risk it.

By the way, it comes in a tube with an applicator now instead of the individual packets. Much easier and less unneeded messy goop to throw away! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used to work in a hospital and we would ship expired medical supplies, medication (and lubricants) to third world countries that couldn't afford them.  I was told they were perfectly fine and that expiry dates leave a large margin for error.
    TTC since August 2009
    June/July 2011 - IVF #1 - Transfer cancelled due to OHSS
    23 perfect embryos. All 23 made it to freezing!
    September/October - FET #1 - October 12th - 2 Grade A embies
    October 20th - BFP??! EDD - July 1, 2012
    Beta #1 = 154, Beta #2 = 352 Beta #3 = 3,800
    U/S #2 - November 14th = 133 bpm! U/S #3 & 4 - November 30th and December 7th = 163 bpm! U/S#5 - January 30th - TEAM PINK!!!
    Baby Sweets born on her due date!
  • Options
    imagesulfababy:

Absolutely not!  The biggest danger in using expired creams, gels, etc. is that the preservatives are no longer effective and bacteria can grow in the product!

I'm really lax on expiration dates of food stuff, because the sniff test will usually tell you if it's good, but don't risk it if it's going all up in your lady bits!!

This is exactly what I was thinking about!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks Patty, I am going to order more, but O should be coming up in the next couple days so I need a game plan for this month! 

If it was an old tube from 2 years ago I definitely wouldn't be using it...but since it's unopened...I'm leaning towards yes.  Ehhh I don't know!

• Options

imageSweets11:
    I used to work in a hospital and we would ship expired medical supplies, medication (and lubricants) to third world countries that couldn't afford them.  I was told they were perfectly fine and that expiry dates leave a large margin for error.

I only answered like I did because MrsCaesar and I were pregnant at the same time, my preseed packets expired in March 2008, so I figured that covered a large margin of error. 

(I don't even throw out the milk on the expiry date)

• Options
    imagePattypoundcake:

imageSweets11:

I only answered like I did because MrsCaesar and I were pregnant at the same time, my preseed packets expired in March 2008, so I figured that covered a large margin of error. 

Mine say 05/09...but either way, its getting close to being a year expired.  I guess I'll pass for this month and order a new tube.

• Options
    imagePattypoundcake:

imageSweets11:

Haha.  I rely on the 'smell test' with milk... I don't know if that would go over so well with pre-seed. 

2 years is a pretty long time...

(FYI: KY Jelly is sperm safe and way less expensive.  The only problem is I find it a little bit sticky)

TTC since August 2009
    June/July 2011 - IVF #1 - Transfer cancelled due to OHSS
    23 perfect embryos. All 23 made it to freezing!
    September/October - FET #1 - October 12th - 2 Grade A embies
    October 20th - BFP??! EDD - July 1, 2012
    Beta #1 = 154, Beta #2 = 352 Beta #3 = 3,800
    U/S #2 - November 14th = 133 bpm! U/S #3 & 4 - November 30th and December 7th = 163 bpm! U/S#5 - January 30th - TEAM PINK!!!
    Baby Sweets born on her due date!
  • Options

imageSweets11:

I too have Preseed individual packets left over from TTC-DD that have an expiration of Aug '09.  I was planning on using them.  Partly because of what was said above and that they are still sealed.

I also used to work at a hospital and my Rx friends are always talking about how much is wasted because of large margin for error and drug company profit.  They make more money when things "expire" sooner.

BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
    TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
    BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
    PgAL/PAL Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I tried using my expired batch last month and needless to say I'm not PG.  Can't really say for sure if that's the reason or what...but what I can say is the first time around I got PG the first month using it.  I ordered a new box in time for this month so we'll see what happens. 
    married 7/24/04 BFP on 4/22/07! Ryan Michael born on 1/3/08 7lbs.7oz. BFP on 5/4/10!!! Caitlin Grace born on 1/7/11 7lbs. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"