Toronto Babies

Not a mom yet, but I have a question

Hi, 

I am starting my infertility journey (being trying for just over a year) and my GP and RE have both told me that I might be trying IUI.  They are doing the diagnostic cycle currently to see if they can find a reason for my infertility, but so far everything looks normal for me and DH.  I'm thinking it will be unexplained infertility. 

So my question is:  has anyone had the IUI procedure?  How much did OHIP cover and what will I need to pay?  Also wondering if anyone has gone through IVF and again what OHIP covers and what I will need to pay if I have that done.  I just got word that my DH insurance is going to cover the meds, good news!

Thank you for your help with this.  I am going to Markham Fertility Clinic.  Has anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks.

Twins:BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Not a mom yet, but I have a question

• CBLCBL member

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear about your infertility.  We tried for 3 years and went through 4 IVFs to get our little guy.

Ohip coversw the IUI procedure itself, but you will need to pay for drugs and sperm washing.  At my clinic, the washing was $350.  When we did IUIs we did two back to back inseminations, so it was $700 per cycle.

As for the drugs - make sure you call your benefit provider if you have one.  My booklet said nothing about fertility drugs, but upon investigation, I found that I had 100% coverage.  You'll likely start on clomid or femara and if they aren't covered, you're looking at around $70-$100 per cycle for a low dose.  Femara isn't considered a fertility drug by insurers, so even if you don't have coverage, it will most likely be paid for.

As for IVF, OHIP will only cover it if you have bilaterally blocked tubes.  They don't cover it in any other circumstance - even if you had NO tubes - it's a messed up system.  

With drugs, I'd say our fresh IVF cycles cost around $15,000 each.  

Good luck to you - I've heard good things about Markham!

ETA: just saw that your meds are covered, so you're likely looking at around 7,000 - 10,000 for IVF.  

• Hi CBL,

Congrats on success after infertility.  Thank you for the information about the prices.  I have another appt at the clinic in mid-April to find out my pregnancy plan.  Guess it's time to start saving my pennies!

Twins:BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"