Long Island Babies
Options

Kelly4evr -- marriage dynamics

Great question, Kelly.

Becoming parents definitely redefined my relationship with my husband. Initially it was very stressful, I'll be honest. While I didn't realize it at the time, I had a lot of expectations of my husband, and he of me. It took time to settle into our roles and understand how this new life was actually going to work. 

Its not something that happened in a couple months, it truly took a couple years (and a couple kids) before we had the "parent" thing down pat which then let us return back to the "us" thing. So now we are in a great place and as a result we have two happy little kids who thrive because they live in a calm and loving home - most of the time ;)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Kelly4evr -- marriage dynamics

• Options

I trained as a Marriage and Family therapist and in my text books they talk about becoming a parent as one of life's transitions. Like any transition there are trials and tribulations but with this stage there is so much pressure to do things right. 

On a personal level (son just turned 3 months) i think mothers have to deal with the pressure we put on ourselves to be perfect as well as from outside. Having a partner that goes on the journey with you from the pregnancy helps a lot because he sees the bigger picture and is more accommodating. Having a good relationship before baby arrives is helpful because there is a foundation, when things get bad you can always depend on that. i agree we definately had to redefine our relationship but made sure we stayed true to the core reasons we are together. There will be lots of people wanting to put their ideas in, you must be strong and not let them define your relationship for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"