Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Anyone in ATL?

DH often travels there for work, and we've been able to go with him several times since DS was 2 months old. He now has an opportunity to move into a different position with the company... if you don't mind answering a few questions, can you please let me know the following?

1. Are you a SAHM or do you use daycare or a sitter?

2. What area are you in? House, condo, or renting?

3. Can you give me a rough estimate for housing prices there? We'd need 2+BR, 1.5+ bathrooms, and a fenced yard for our black Lab.  

TIA!

Re: Anyone in ATL?

• Options
    I don't live in atl, but visit often.  There are a lot of great suburbs w/ reasonable home prices and good public schools.  I love both Deactur and Roswell.  ATL is one of my top choice areas in which to live.  I would venture to guess you'd be looking at roughly $150-$200 per sq foot for a home in those areas. 
  • Options
    I'm in Marietta- a suburb just North of Atlanta.  I work part-time and use daycare from 7:30-2.  We own a house, and you can get a lot for your money in the suburbs.  Probably $200-$250K for a nice 3-4 bedroom, 2-3 bath in a nice neighborhood with a yard.  The housing costs will vary greatly depending on what area you are looking in.  Would his office be downtown?  Would you want to live close to downtown or in the suburbs?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageGBpack25:
    I'm in Marietta- a suburb just North of Atlanta.  I work part-time and use daycare from 7:30-2.  We own a house, and you can get a lot for your money in the suburbs.  Probably $200-$250K for a nice 3-4 bedroom, 2-3 bath in a nice neighborhood with a yard.  The housing costs will vary greatly depending on what area you are looking in.  Would his office be downtown?  Would you want to live close to downtown or in the suburbs?

We've visited enough to know that he would want to commute "backwards"--against the major flow each way. That traffic is killer! :) Not exactly sure where he'd be working; I suppose that would help...  In the past we've been near Sandy Springs, which I believe is out of our price range, but that was for a specific client and not for his own company. 

• Options
    stewzstewz member
    imageGRKaters:

DH often travels there for work, and we've been able to go with him several times since DS was 2 months old. He now has an opportunity to move into a different position with the company... if you don't mind answering a few questions, can you please let me know the following?

1. Are you a SAHM or do you use daycare or a sitter?

I work part time and my mother in law currently watches my daughter. However, we are currently talking with a family about doing a nanny share. If you live inside Atlanta, not outside of the perimeter (there is a highway that is a big circle around the outside of atlanta that's what i mean about living inside atlanta and outside of the perimeter), a lot of moms do nanny shares or have nannys b/c the good daycares are kind of pricey and really hard to get in to.

2. What area are you in? House, condo, or renting?

I live in Atlanta in the Little Five Points area. We own our home.

3. Can you give me a rough estimate for housing prices there? We'd need 2+BR, 1.5+ bathrooms, and a fenced yard for our black Lab.  

It totally depends on the area. If you live in town it gets expensive and outside it's still expensive but you can get more house for less money.

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    stewzstewz member

imageGBpack25:

Hola Lisa!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My sis had a really nice 2 bedroom apt. in Decatur about 1,100 sq.ft. in a gated complex, with security, pool, ect. It was brand new, and she paid I think $950 a month. But, of the subject, you have got to, I repeat got to, eat at Maggiano's downtown. The best italian restaurant ever!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageGRKaters:

imageGBpack25:

We've visited enough to know that he would want to commute "backwards"--against the major flow each way. That traffic is killer! :) Not exactly sure where he'd be working; I suppose that would help...  In the past we've been near Sandy Springs, which I believe is out of our price range, but that was for a specific client and not for his own company. 

Yes, traffic here is horrific.  I would definitely suggest living close to his office or doing the "backwards" commute.  Luckily DH and I both work in Marietta so the commute isn't too bad.  Sandy Springs is a pricier area than Marietta or some of the other suburbs as far as housing.  Anything inside the perimeter (inside 285) will cost you a lot more than outside the perimeter.  I am not in love with Marietta, but it's nice enough.  The schools are great, some of the best in the state.  Roswell is also a nice area outside the perimeter.  Let me know if you find out where his office will be and I can try to be a little more helpful!

• Options
    imagestewz:

imageGBpack25:

Hola Lisa!

Stew!  I'll give you a call after work today.  As you can tell, I'm really busy :)

• Options

No! I won't let you leave :)

Check the baby board. Gina and Danielle both live down in ATL now. 

• Options

My brother lives in ATL.  About two years ago, they moved "outside the perimeter" and were able to get a larger house for the same money.  They still have an ATL address, but moving away from the main attraction gave them more options.  They have a nice yard that is fenced-in.  They previously lived in Decatur.  The housing costs vary quite a bit.  They're not wealthy by ATL standards at all.  Coming from the GL state, they did have some sticker shock, but my brother's salary is higher in ATL than it would be here, too.

My SIL is a SAHM.  They send their oldest daughter to preschool a few days a week.

Sorry, not sure if my answer helps much.  They LOVE LOVE living in ATL.

ETA: Regarding traffic, my brother uses the MARTA system often.  They have a station near their house that he drives to and then rides the rest of the way downtown on the train.  He says it saves a ton of time and money.

• Options

I agree with pp that cost of housing is going to vary greatly depending on where you want to live. I work in real estate and we list homes all over the city and in various burbs.

I live in Roswell and go with the traffic to go to Sandy Springs. I can be down there in about 35 minutes - granted it only takes 15 if there is no traffic and most of that is getting from my house to GA 400. In our area, a 4 bedroom is typically in the 200s. A home with a basement is going to be roughly 20-25k more than a home without.  I priced an apt for my mom about a year ago and a two bedroom was about 700 and some were well over 1000.

Our two bedroom in Sandy Springs a few years ago was 1285/month. It was a new construction and nice.

To answer your other question - I work from home while taking care of my daughter. We have no babysitting or help.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Jumping in again.  My sister lived in ATL for 2 years, too.  Both she and my brother have met a bunch of 20- and 30-somethings from MI.  It seems like ATL is the first stop for most job seekers leaving MI.

• Options

Oh and North Fulton - Roswell and Alpharetta - also has the benefit of really good schools.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    image*blondiem*:

No! I won't let you leave :)

Check the baby board. Gina and Danielle both live down in ATL now. 

LOL -- yep, I posted there for them to find :)

• Options

Prices vary greatly but you can't get a decent house for under $280 and that is in the burbs. I live in Alpharetta. You can't get a new house under $320+.

I work full-time out of my house and both kids go to a daycare center.

• Options

I'm in Suwanee which is a northern suburb of Atlanta. It's about 30 minutes to downtown where I am.

I have been a SAHM, when my daughter was younger. I have used a sitter here for PT care. It was $12/hour. Most of the ladies around here want at least $10/hour. Now I use a daycare center. She goes full time and it's about $200/week, not including lunch.

We own a home. Homes in our neighborhood are going for around $200k. It's a 4-bed, 2.5 bath home on a fenced .3 acre lot that is next to a school and a huge county park/greenway trail. We love it.

I also spend a lot of time in Conyers, which is a nice community. My parents own a home out there on almost 3 acres that was about $175k three years ago; obviously prices have come down since then.

Most of the homes inside the perimeter (I-285) under $300k will be smaller homes built prior to 1970 on smaller lots. Decatur is a lovely area; I went to school there and lived there. Fulton county is a hot mess and I don't recommend living in the city of Atlanta, either; those areas have a lot of infrastructure problems, problems delivering city services and high taxes for what you get. Dunwoody is very nice but expensive. Tucker is a pleasant community. 

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info about Gwinnett county or Suwanee/Johns Creek.  

• Options
    imageSuwaneeGirl:

I'm in Suwanee which is a northern suburb of Atlanta. It's about 30 minutes to downtown where I am.

I have been a SAHM, when my daughter was younger. I have used a sitter here for PT care. It was $12/hour. Most of the ladies around here want at least $10/hour. Now I use a daycare center. She goes full time and it's about $200/week, not including lunch.

We own a home. Homes in our neighborhood are going for around $200k. It's a 4-bed, 2.5 bath home on a fenced .3 acre lot that is next to a school and a huge county park/greenway trail. We love it.

I also spend a lot of time in Conyers, which is a nice community. My parents own a home out there on almost 3 acres that was about $175k three years ago; obviously prices have come down since then.

Most of the homes inside the perimeter (I-285) under $300k will be smaller homes built prior to 1970 on smaller lots. Decatur is a lovely area; I went to school there and lived there. Fulton county is a hot mess and I don't recommend living in the city of Atlanta, either; those areas have a lot of infrastructure problems, problems delivering city services and high taxes for what you get. Dunwoody is very nice but expensive. Tucker is a pleasant community. 

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info about Gwinnett county or Suwanee/Johns Creek.  

LOL, love this description. So true.

• Options

Thank you all for the info; I will post again when I have specifics.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"