Birth Stories

Did you have a doula?

Any and everybody who would like to post, please do. I am suppose to write a 1000 word essay on the importance of labor support and I'm trying to get a general feel on who did or didn't have one and why. If you have any specific comments please leave them. I would appreciate it!

Thank you :)

[Poll]

Re: Did you have a doula?

• No, neither DH or myself wanted one. I was content just having my husband to support me. :)
    My blog! Our kids: Natalie 6 Colton 4 Adelyn 1 1/2 Easton Si Hu (in Korea) 1 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • No, we didn't feel the need for or want one.  DH did a great job asking questions and supporting me without one.
  • Loading the player...
  • I did not have one for my 1st birth but I plan to have one for this next one. (our hospital has 40 volunteer doulas). I felt like the nurses were very unhelpful for my 1st birth & even though I had made it all the way through transition and an hour into pushing, I caved & got the epidural because they (the nurses) were so convinced I would need a c-section. Ds was born 2 hrs later. (vaginally) This time I am going to a better hosital & I plan on surrounding myself with positive people who can help me through this rather than waiting for it to be over.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't need to convince the essay writer, of course, but a good Doula is worth their weight in Gold. Not only do they provide one on one comfort to the mom, they help the dad from being overwhelmed, by helping him know what might feel good to the mom. A doula doesn't interfere with that special bond, she enhances it. Besides the physical support, they provide mountains of information and emotional comfort just by being there. I think I am quoting Christiane Northrup MD ( forgive me if it is someone else), " If Doula's were drugs, they would be unethical not to use them. " According to studies, Doula's are credited with lowering every type of intervention in birth.

I Love Doula's!!!

• We absolutely did, and she was MARVELOUS! She was able to provide the physical  needs (counter pressure etc...)  that I desperately needed w/o even knowing I  needed it. I would have had to explain to my husband what to do, which would have resulted in me getting upset and a very distressing situation. She provided all the things my husband couldn't, not because he didn't care, but because he didn't know! Hubby shuts down when I'm in  pain, and can pretty much stand there and hold my hand. She was able to talk me through the pain, and shut up when she instinctively knew I needed quiet. She was also a support to him, helping him to understand what I needed and allowing him the freedom to back off if he got too overwhelmed. We are using the same doula for our twins birth in  just a few months. I couldn't imagine a birth experience that didn't include her!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"