New Jersey Babies
Options

maternity question

hi,

so I work in higher ed, and I have a ques about maternity leave

i know under FMLA I get 12 weeks, and HR said I can use my vacation/sick days for this (doc has to fill out a form)

my question is after this, i know there is FLI which is for 6 weeks and I have to pay insurance...

can i use the fli after the 12 weeks of FMLA?

thanks

jenn

Re: maternity question

• Options
    Here's how it was explained to me, although I do not work in higher education: Federal family leave - 12 weeks of job protection NJ disability: 6 weeks pay vaginal birth/8 weeks pay C section birth, plus up to 4 weeks pay before due date NJ family leave: 6 weeks pay AFTER disability/12 weeks job protection after disability The reasoning behind this is that family leave is for the care of a newborn. If you are on disability, you are theoretically not able to care for a newborn at that time. Therefore, 12-14 weeks of pay after birth, but another 6 weeks of having benefits covered by your employer, with the exception of having to pay in the amount currently taken out of your paycheck for benefits. Eg. If you are currently paying 40 bucks per paycheck, you would have to pay that back to your employer while on disability and family leave.
  • Options
    Oh-also forgot to add: I have to use all my sick time before disability kicks in, so if I have 2 weeks sick time, I would get 4 weeks disability pay. Can then choose to take vacation time at END of family leave time to extend your maternity leave. You just take some of your family leave time unpaid.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"