Health & Exercise
Options

Posted on 3-6 as well.. but this board might be able to offer some thoughts as well. thanks in advan

I am trying so hard to get rid of this damn weight.. ok.. let me back track- no I am not trying.. not hard anyway.. and not to the extent I can/should.

For the last month as many of you know, my DD refused to let me sleep more than 4 hours (broken up) a night which left me exhausted after working 9 hour days w/ 2 hours driving commute- I would get home and just be beat.. hence to energy at ALL to do anything but hope for sleep.

Well- now that we think we solved (for the most part) her sleeping issues I looked in the mirror today and again thought- nasty.

Background- 7 years ago I weighed almost 200- on my 5'1 frame that is a lot.. it took a long time, but in a year I lost 50 on WW. I did great. I was living on my own, eating all the right stuff..

Then I met DH- who is a VERY picky eater.. meats and potato kind of guy. As much as he says he will eat the food I make- he wont.. and he brings home cookies and ice cream and lots of carbs- my down falls.. I try to avoid them but I can't.

When I was preg- my vice was 1-2 boston creams a day.. yeah I know-- well now I am not eating those, but I am still eating crap in my house.

I am finding I am VERY heavy again- probably close to the 200 mark and I am disgusted. For someone that has struggled her entire life to look good and feel healthy I just feel disgusting and I know it's affecting our SL.

I have the want.. but I am missing the drive. I even play the "DD deserves a healthy mom" card.. and it doesnt help.. its like I forget those motivating thoughts in the spur of the moment.. then regret it like crazy once I ate the crap..

Help and thoughts, motivation and understanding are appreciated.

**As of right now I can't afford WW- we are on a very limited budget since LO..**

Thank you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Posted on 3-6 as well.. but this board might be able to offer some thoughts as well. thanks in advan

• Options

I have done WW before without actually "joining".  You can get online and figure out how many points normal food is, or even print off a list of foods. 

Is there any way you could put DH's snacks in a separate cabinet that you never look at?  That usually helps me, cuz I know if I have to look at it all the time I will want to eat it too!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

WW is counting points, but there are also calories to count, and that is free and in my opinion, better. You have access to the web so I would make caloriesperhour.com your best friend. You can enter your daily activities (seriously they have grooming, getting dressed, driving, eating (standing or sitting), desk job, office work, sex, walking the dog, you name it) to get an estimation of your daily calorie burn. You can also figure out your resting metabolic rate, which tells you how many calories you need to just exist.  That's the first step.

Then you start keeping a food journal and writing down every single thing you eat. Include fast food and junk food. Write it all down. If you don't know the serving size you had, guesstimate (I always err on the side of caution and assume I ate more, not less - we fool ourselves too often I think). Caloriesperhour.com has food lists that give the caloric information for just about everything, and Calorie king has a slew of information for restaurant/commercial brand foods.

I know this sounds boring, but if you're truly dedicated, it actually becomes really fascinating. It's so important to know what you're actually putting into your body. It really puts everything into perspective. 

Now, you tally up what you ate every day for a week and using your calorie counting resources, you tally your caloric intake each day. Then you go on caloriesperhour.com and find out how much you burned each day. That will give you a good idea of what you need to cut out in order to burn more calories without even having to step on a treadmill (yet). 

I recommend immediately cutting out 500 calories from each day's intake of food.  That is a reduction of 3500 calories per week, and there are 3500 calories in a pound. On top of this, I will say it's time to start working out, girl. It's SUCH a rewarding thing to do, and it's one of the few things that you will do, as a woman and now as a mom, that is 100% for yourself. People get down about working out and they hate it, they hate the time and the effort, but really, it's the only time you get to be 100% selfish and think only of yourself.

The body needs activity and craves it. They recommend an hour a day on most days of the week, but since you're starting, just try some cardio for 20-30 minutes a day. three days a week. If you can't afford a gym membership, start a couch to 5k program, which gets you going from just walking to running 3.125 miles in a very short amount of time. All it takes is a pair of shoes. :) 

You can also look up good strength moves online to do, or get the 30 day shred which I hear is amazing. I was lucky enough to go an awesome pilates class at the YMCA and went so often that when the teacher quit I had it memorized so I bought the equipment and I keep doing it at home.

Don't skip on strength moves either! They build muscle and muscle burns more calories than fat, so it's a double whammy to your fat stores, instead of just cardio alone. Also, it helps sculpt your body and makes great muscle definition.

One thing to remember: You CAN do this. This is not hard. People convince themselves that it's hard and that's the hurdle. People say it takes too much time, but right now you only need to carve out half an hour of your day, and only three days out of the week. Once you realize how good you feel and once you realize the wonderful things you are doing for yourself, it will be easier to carve more and more time out for yourself. Someone says "hey let's go eat out at Chili's and go to a movie" then you say "Sorry I can't, I have to work out, but I will meet you for that movie as soon as I'm done with my run!"

You can do this!

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also get a kitchen scale and start weighing your portions of everything. You will be surprised to see that a few shakes of penne pasta into the boiling water is way more than you need to eat. Measure out everything you eat. All you need is a kitchen scale (my escali scale cost less than 20 bucks on amazon.com), measuring cups and measuring spoons.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Like you, I find it very difficult to resist carbs and especially sweets.  What works for me is to limit sweets to weekends and eat super healthy duirng the week (for all meals).  I think this helps because it gives me something to look forward to and "hold out" for.  It also has made me want to eat healthier on the weekends because I can see the difference it makes in my health and how I feel (but don't get me wrong, I still eat sweets on weekends).  Another thing I do is load up on veggies and fruits.  For example, I'll have stirfry for dinner with tons of veggies and a single serving of rice and protein.  By adding lots of veggies you get to eat a large portion without all the calories. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    sparkpeople.com offers nearly all of the benefits of WW online, but it's free. Good luck.
  • Options

Have you tried doing a food journal? I have learned that writting down everything you eat with times you ate it will help you realize what you are putting in your mouth. If you know you have to write that you ate 5 times today and it was all fatty, greasy, or saturated, it will make you think twice! Kinda like the notion: "Seeing is believing".

Good Luck! :)

• Options

For me, it helps to think that spring is just around the corner and I want to look decent in shorts and t-shirts. Maybe get out a pair or shorts or even your bathing suit! If you're brave and keep it out where you can see it.

Can you ask your DH to support you and not bring that food home? 

• Options
    I'm not saying this is your situation, but sometimes I use DH as an excuse.  If I ask him to commit to some changes with me, he usually does it.  On the other hand, I know there are husbands who aren't that supportive, so I'm sorry if yours is one of them that's not!

I find that keeping the temptations out of the house, out of sight, or at least someplace inconvenient really helps. 

Also, I get all excited about working out when I have a new plan to try.  The 30 day shred is available for online download for $1.99 a DVD on amazon.  If you buy all three, it's $4.99.  So for less than $5 you can invest in a workout in the privacy of your own home, wherever your computer is!  It's less intimidating than going to the gym, and probably cheaper unless you already have a membership.

I'm also doing the couch to 5K program starting Monday!  Want to join me?  It's walking and jogging, but I had to wait until my special order sports bra arrived.  Yeppers, no fun running with the new boobs!  But this program is pretty gentle, just walking and jogging.  Or if you don't like jogging, walking and power walking.  :D  I figure if I take DS in the stroller, I can always say he likes to go fast when I look like a complete dolt trying to run!
  • Options
    You don't have to join WW to do WW.  We don't have the money for me to join, but I do it on my own.  You can buy a calc on ebay (though get an older version, the new editions always have a HUGE markup) or you can figure the points yourself on a regular calculator (calories divided by 50, plus fat divided by 12, minus fiber divided by 5).  GL, it's hard to turn down tasty crap.  DH was just sitting on the couch next to me chowing down on chips, without thinking I grabbed a handful and almost started eating them, I realized what I was doing and put them back.  My biggest weakness is chocolate. 
  • Options

I feel you on this one! 

Tell your husband how you feel and that you don't want junk food in your house.  If he could just leave that stuff in his car or at work, that would be awesome.  Or, maybe you can tell your DH if that junk comes into the house, it will be thrown away? :) 

Make DH dinner with meat, potatoes and veggies.  You put 1-2 servings of veggies on your plate, little meat, tablespoon of potato/split a baked potato, etc. That way, you don't have to make 2 meals, still get your nutrients in, and still have enough food for a decent meal!

Do you have your WW stuff still?  I kept mine, just in case I wanted to count points and didn't have the membership anymore. 

Also, there are a couple of other sites that are great, too - fitday.com & dailyplate.com.  My sister also said that myfitnesspal.com was cool, too.

Its awesome knowing you have done it before - you are definately capable of doing it again!  Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    afgafg member

you've had some awesome advice here.

just wanted to add that you need to talk to your husband about how you feel and what you are trying to achieve and how him bringing home junk is making it impossible for you.  If he is not interested in losing weight or being healthy then he is not going to change but you do need to change your perception of food - just because its there doesn't mean you have to eat it (which I'm sure you know), but you have to understand why you eat the way you do.  You shouldn't have to be fighting the urge to eat all the time.

good luck

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"