Detroit Babies
Options

Midwife/hospital recommendations?

I had my daughter at Oakwood Hospital back in 2008.  Unfortunately, I had to have a c-section.  Even though I love my doctors (Dearborn OB/GBN), I think I would like to switch hospitals and go through a midwife for my VBAC in September.  I'm in Plymouth, which means that I'm about 30 minutes away from a number of hospitals so I have a lot of options.  I am willing to go to Ann Arbor if necessary.  So far, I've started looking into the Providence midwives and the HFWB midwives.  I would love to hear reviews and recommendations.

(And yes, I am planning on hiring a doula!)

Re: Midwife/hospital recommendations?

• Options
    I go to Metro Partners in Novi. They have midwives and they can deliver out of the Alternative Birthing Center at Southfield Providence. I see Dr. Marback there not a midwife though
    imageimage
    Married 8.13.2005, M/C 12/8/06- 5 weeks, M/C 2/27/07- 7 weeks, M/C w/ D&C 8/10/09-6.5 weeks *Charles Lawrence born 5/2/08 @ 3:14am, 7lb 8oz, 20.5 inches. Clomid, Crinone and baby aspirin. *Alexandra Claire born 9/14/10 @ 9:52am 6lb 14oz, 20.5 inches. Femara, Crinone and baby aspirin. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageTheSkimmy:
    I go to Metro Partners in Novi. They have midwives and they can deliver out of the Alternative Birthing Center at Southfield Providence. I see Dr. Marback there not a midwife though

I also go here and see Dr. Lacoste (not a midwife), but I've heard their midwives are fantastic.  Providence Novi also has an Alternative Birthing Center (it's only about a year old) and from what I hear it is fantastic.  They have birthing tubs and queen size beds in the ABC rooms.  Definitely worth checking out.

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageballerina06:

imageTheSkimmy:

I also go here and see Dr. Lacoste (not a midwife), but I've heard their midwives are fantastic.  Providence Novi also has an Alternative Birthing Center (it's only about a year old) and from what I hear it is fantastic.  They have birthing tubs and queen size beds in the ABC rooms.  Definitely worth checking out.

Hmm... I just delivered at Providence in October and there was no birthing tubs or queens size beds then...  It was asked about on the tour, and they don't offer the tubs for a liability I was told.  Maybe it's changed since then? 

Now, the one in Southfield as those options as I went there too.  I'd just double check if you want those options as they were not available to me when I delivered 4 months ago. 

They call themselves a birthing center, but I can testify it was nothing like a birthing center.  :(  I had a C Section and had to ask several time after to start breast feeding, that would never have happened at a bc.  They kept telling me, "oh, there's no rush".  No rush my arse.  Also, the nurses gave my baby formula without my permission, again, never would happen in a birthing center.  I assure you, it really is not a birthing center, if someone is looking for that experience, go to Southfield.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a rant.  I was just very disappointed with how Novi's "birthing center" worked.  Overall, the stay was fine, just not a birthing center at all.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My friend delivered her son out of the ABC in Souhtfield & loved it.  She used the midwives out of Metro Partners, I believe. 

I'm going to deliver DS #2 @ HFWB & am super excited.  I see Patricia Scane, a midwife.  I've only seen her but there are a number of midwives that she works with.  She came from the ABC & raves about HFWB, so that sort of gives you an idea of how good it is (at least, I think so!).  I've heard nothing but great things- every room has a birthing tub & it's ran much like a birthing center.  Obviously don't have any first hand experience, though!  :)  DH & I are attending their "baby shower" (hospital tour) next week.

• Options
    Based on everything I've heard, the ABC does not take VBACs.  I'm leaning towards checking out HFWB, especially since one of the midwives is in Canton. 
  • Options
    My midwife is Mary from Metro Partners, and I delivered at the ABC and it was WONDERFUL.  They do not take VBACs though.  Mary would like to change that.  I would still call and talk to them, I think you can use them, but you have to deliver in Labor and Delivery. 
  • Options
    I see Sarah and Metro Partners and she is wonderful!
    My mom works at the ABC and was working there when it was a seperate wing and called the Family Birthing Center. It's a wonderful place!
  • Options
    Mary delivered DS at the ABC as well! :-) I would definetly recommend them. Mary, Sarah and Megan are great! I alway enjoyed my appointments with them!
  • Options
    Duh! I didn't even catch that you were aiming for a VBAC! :) My midwife has been amazing with all of my VBAC concerns & questions. She's definitely all for them & will do everything she can to help me achieve one. Plus, all rooms have tubs & you can use wireless monitoring systems which are waterproof . I guess those are rare (???). I really want to utilize the tub so I was excited about that. :)
  • Options
    If Ann Arbor isn't too far, I love the University of Michigan Midwives.  They are so supportive, and everyone I've met has been great.  You would give birth through their Birthing Center, which is part of C.S.Mott downtown.  Half of their suites have tubs for water births, and they also have several OBs in the practice. 
    image Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I go to the Metro Partners CNMs too.  Love them.  And I had my DD at the ABC in Southfield.  (I hadn't heard about them not doing VBACs.  That's really too bad!)  I've also heard really good things about the CNMs at Henry Ford too.  If you can, I say meet with both and check out both hospitals and see where you feel more comfortable.  Also, I just finished my doula training so if you have any doula questions, feel free to PM me.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"