Baby Showers

What's up with my gifts?

My shower is in 2 weeks. There were about 30 invited guests. I am assuming most people are ordering off of the registry and having things sent to my mom's (where the shower is).

At this point only 12 items have been bought, sometimes multiple things purchased by one person.

I'm so grateful BUT I'm getting nervous that a lot of important necessities are not going to be bought. It's not a HUGE deal at all, but I'm just curious how it's all going to work out. Anyone else been in this situation?(How did it turn out?)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What's up with my gifts?

• Many people shop the day of or day before a shower.  If the necessities aren't bought, buy them yourself.
  • A lot of people never look at the registry - I never do, so that's a bad way to gauge attendance.  Don't worry, I'm sure lots of people will be there!  And of course you know that the important necessities are your responsibility.

• Loading the player...
  • Don't worry about something you have no control over. After the shower you can decide if you want to keep the multiples or return the items not on your registry. Be prepared to purchase stuff you need with your own money. It is your baby afterall.
  • Also, a lot of people will look at your registry, but not have it marked off at the register. Some people don't remember when they get to the cashier that they are supposed to do that. In addition, some people will see your registry and will find what you are looking for at another store- maybe for a better deal, or they will decide to "upgrade" what you've asked for and get you a similar item that is of better quality or comes as part of an inclusive set.
  • Not everyone shops off of the registry and not everyone does it in advance.  Some people wait until the day before the shower.  Also, if the "necessities" have not been purchased it is really your responsibility to buy these for lo - not your guests.
  • most people will shop the weekend before your shower if not a day before or so.

• Thanks for all the responses! And the necessities I'm talking about aren't the "real" ones, I guess...like, I've bought all the main (and expensive) stuff. But I put things on there like swaddling blankets and burp cloths... things I can totally get myself but thought were more fun for others. We'll see!
  • Don't worry.  Most of my gifts seemed to be purchased the weekend of my shower.  Admittedly, I am guilty of waiting to the last minute to buy shower gifts.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with the previous posters regarding when people shop and that they may not buy off your registry.  My thought is, why would you assume people would send the shower gifts to your mother's house in advance?  The only time I got gifts shipped ahead was for my wedding and also one or two for my shower from guests who lived out of town.  I always take my gift with me for showers.  Especially since you said you bought all the big items and are expecting smaller things.  I am sure they will just bring the gifts to the event. 

• People bought me what they bought me, the rest I purchaced myself.

A registry is a guide, they are not required to get you everything listed on it. Stop stalking and start being prepared that you may just have to buy some of the necessities by yourself.

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Be prepared for a ton of pink clothes.  If you have revealed the sex, people are going to buy cute clothes, your registry and necessities be damned.  Sorry. :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 2 weeks is a long time! You'd be surprised at what you get at your shower. We pretty much got everything we needed from our guests. I think most people wait until last minute to buy gifts.
  • imagecutebride73:

I agree with the previous posters regarding when people shop and that they may not buy off your registry.  My thought is, why would you assume people would send the shower gifts to your mother's house in advance?  The only time I got gifts shipped ahead was for my wedding and also one or two for my shower from guests who lived out of town.  I always take my gift with me for showers.  Especially since you said you bought all the big items and are expecting smaller things.  I am sure they will just bring the gifts to the event. 

Oh, good question. I assume things would be oredered online and shipped because I registered at myregistry.com, which has items from different sites (amazon.com, etc) and also registered at Target. My shower's in NYC and the only Targets are in the outer boroughs and I know most of the people coming are more likely to order online than travel. 

Personally, I always buy things from the registry for weddings and showers, so I don't get a duplicate gift or something the couple/person wouldn't want. Especially for a baby, I see it more as a "it takes a village" type of thing, and so everyone helps out the couple in that respect... but I know cute little girl clothes are so much more fun to buy than the practical stuff... it's all good, I was just curious!

• imagekrissyh21:

People bought me what they bought me, the rest I purchaced myself.

A registry is a guide, they are not required to get you everything listed on it. Stop stalking and start being prepared that you may just have to buy some of the necessities by yourself.

Thanks, I realize this.

• Yea... stand by for clothes galore.  It is hard to resist little girl clothes :).

Don't worry about it.  As a first time mom, I was very thankful for any gift.  And honestly, some of the most useful stuff I have was given to me by veteran moms who had great products and things I had never heard of or thought of.  So many of my best gifts weren't on the registry.

I tend to buy off of the registry typically but since you used a website it might confuse some of your older guests.  They are probably used to going to BRU or Target and printing the registry.  Not going to a website that takes you to stores that only exist in cyberspace (amazon).  Many people want to SHOP and hold things and see things and enjoy the baby stuff.  Not just buy a gift, put their credit card in, and hit "send".

• With my son no one bought anything on my registry. I got lots of clothes, diapers, and money. Don't worry so much about it. You'll get what you get.
  • most people don't shop for the gifts 2 weeks in advance.  i normally don't buy gifts until a day or so before the event.
  • I understand your concerns.  Our shower is also in two weeks, 38 invites were sent out and not one item has been purchased.  We have a 5 hour drive to make for the shower on top of it and the whole trip will run us about $500.  I was initially worried that if there wasn't a good turnout, the trip money would be better spent towards items we need.  

We have absolutely no one helping us out financially because everyone is having a hard time.  DH and I talked about it and he calmed my fears down by telling me that we can go, enjoy the shower, hope for the best but if not, we will not worry about it and be fully prepared to purchase all items we need ourselves when we get back.  I agreed with him that I had to stop stressing about it.  Whatever happens will happen and we'll just be grateful for anything we get and try to enjoy the shower.

Like pp said, two weeks is still a long time and most people will probably wait to make their purchases until the last minute.  Hopefully you'll get items to help you out, but either way, just try to enjoy your shower and this time in your life.  GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"