Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Cervidil induction stories?

Hi ladies. I am all set to be induced using cervidil Sat. night. My cervix hasnt begun to soften and I am not dilated at all. The baby is head down but not in my pelvis yet.

I would love to hear your cervidil induction stories....especially if you were anything like me going into it.

TIA. 

Re: Cervidil induction stories?

• I was the same way right before I was induced.

Started Cervadil on Friday night at 5pm. Checked Saturday morning, was at 1cm and 50% effaced. Started on cycotec that morning and went into labor. Started contracting every 2-4 minutes around 12pm. No cervical change from 12-5 so I was started on pitocin. Was on pitocin from 5pm-5am-was maxed out on it and only got to 75% effaced and 1 1/2cm so on Sunday morning I had a c-section.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was induced with Cervidil when I was about one week late. ?They gave it to me in the evening. ?It made my girl parts (all, not just vagina) feel heavy and congested--that was the only bad feeling. ?After being monitored all night, my doctor came in the morning to check my progress. ?I was still at 1 cm (I had been there for about 3 weeks) and 70% effaced (had been 60% for several weeks). ?Baby was head-down from around 26w, but hadn't dropped. ?I was induced with Pitocin at around 8-9am. ?When he checked me around lunchtime, I was at 2cm. ?He broke my water. ?My son was born at 11:24 pm through assisted vaginal delivery (forceps). ?It was not a bad experience...it just took a while. ?GL:)
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I went in Sunday morning for my induction. The baby was not yet in my pelvis, however he was head down and I was 50% effaced. After the cervidil, I was 3 centimeters dialated at 2 pm. They started the pitocin and I stayed at 3 cm, but my water broke at 8 pm. The next morning I was still only 3 cm, so I had a c-section.
  • I was 2-3 days late and they told me to come in for induction - Not dilated at all.  They started the cervidil around 7:30 pm. By 4-5:00 in the morning I started feeling mild contractions. The doctor came in around 8:00 and checked me and I was 1 1/2 centimeters. He broke my water and started pitocin which brought on the contractions fast and quick. By 12:00 I was at 6 centimeters. I requested an epidural, which unfortunately took an hour and twenty minutes to get b/c one anesthesiologist didn't respond to his page and the other was in a c-section.  So, at 1:20 I got my epidural. The doctor checked me then and I was fully dilated "with a rim". He said I could start pushing and I had my wonderful baby at 3:02.  In my eyes, it was a quick labor, and I have no complaints (except the waiting for epidural part). If it were guaranteed to go the same way again, I'd do it the same way again.

Hope yours goes well!.

• I was induced with Cervidil at 8:45am on a Friday morning and was only 1cm dilated when I went in. Within 4 hours the contractions were quite strong. Around 3pm-4pm, I was 4-5cm dilated and they took the Cervidil out and broke my water. I continued to dilate on my own and did not need Pitocin. I delivered Friday night at 7:06pm. It was a good experience but the contractions come quick and strong!?
  • I was like you going into my induction with cervidil. Sunday night it was inserted. Monday AM it was taken out and Pitocin was started. At noon Monday my water broke on its own. I got an epi immediately as the urgency to push was insane. I got to 10 and 10 by late evening and started pushing at 10PM. Baby girl was born 120 AM Tuesday via c/s bc she just didnt want to get pushed out and her h/r kept dropping whenever I'd push.

GL!

click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At almost 41 weeks, I also had not begun to dilate at all and my cervix had not softened either. Unfortunately, cervidil had no effect on me. Although the baby had descended into the birth canal, my OB advised me that since my body was still unfavorable, that I would most likely end up with an emergency c-section if we continued with the induction. We ultimately decided to just schedule a c-section and all went well from there.
  • Thanks for the responses so far! I was thinking that the cervidil would take a long time to work but I see that isnt necessarily the case!
  • My cervix was not showing any progress when we did cervadil. She was head down but had not descended. They inserted it overnight and we started pit the next morning after my midwife declared 'no change.' THat was Wednesday evening and I had a c/s Sunday Afternoon. Good luck!
  • imagelesuth:
    I went in Sunday morning for my induction. The baby was not yet in my pelvis, however he was head down and I was 50% effaced. After the cervidil, I was 3 centimeters dialated at 2 pm. They started the pitocin and I stayed at 3 cm, but my water broke at 8 pm. The next morning I was still only 3 cm, so I had a c-section.

Pretty much the same thing happened to me.  I went in at 730pm on a Thursday and when I was hooked up to the monitors I was already having contractions (I didn't notice).  They let me try to progress naturally until 430am when the cervidil was inserted.  At 8 am no progress, I was still long and only 3cm.  They started the pitocin and around 2pm no progress.  I got my epidural, the Dr. broke my water, still no progress and I had a c-section at 4pm, DD was born at 403pm

• I had a very successful experience with Cervidil.  I got it put in at 4am and at noon my water broke on it's own in the hospital gift shop (slightly embarassing) contractions got stronger pretty quickly and I delivered at 5:15pm after pushing through 3 contractions au natural!  I hope your experience is as successful as mine!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was induced at 36 weeks 4 days with barely any progress...cervadil and cyotec did nothing for me...Had to have foley bulb to get progress going.
    MC 4/09 at 6w2d 
    Rainbow Jude 
    born: 12/31/09
    Pre-E Induction at 36w4d
    11 Day NICU stay due to GBS infection

TTC#2 10/2010
    M/C: 4/09/11 5w
    CP: 12/26/2011 
    CP: 1/28/2012 
    MMC: 4/16/2012 at 11w2d 
    Ectopic: 6/25/2012 MTX 07/03/12
    CP 11/24/2012