South Jersey Babies
Options

Cooper vs Virtua vs Kennedy (Wash Twp)

When I do decide to try for a sibling for Olivia I will be high risk. I was very dissatisfied with my MFM and my OB (Elmwood Penncare Assoc) so they are fired. I am first thinking of which hospital to deliver at, and I will be high-risk for several reasons, so NICUs are the most important factor. Underwood is OUT. 

If you had to choose based on NICUs would you select Cooper, Virtua, or Kennedy (Wash Twp)? Kennedy is right down the road, but Cooper seems to have the best unit...

Thoughts?

Re: Cooper vs Virtua vs Kennedy (Wash Twp)

• Options

I'm not sure this will be much help, but I know that Virtua offers hospital tours.  I'm going on a tour of their Voorhees facility this Sunday.  I'm sure that Kennedy and Cooper probably offer the same.

I can't really give you a firsthand account of what I think of these hospitals (sorry), but I will definitely let you know what I think of Virtua Voorhees after the tour.

Good luck! 

• Options

I'm not sure this will be much help, but I know that Virtua offers hospital tours.  I'm going a a tour of their Voorhees facility this Sunday.  I'm sure the Kennedy and Cooper probably offer the same.

I can't really give you a firsthand account of what I think of these hospitals (sorry), but I will definitely let you know what I think of Virtua Voorhees after the tour.

Good luck! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't know much about the others, but I know that Virtua Voorhees has an AMAZING NICU and nursing staff.  I have a friend that delivered sometime around her 6th month (I can't remember how many weeks) and her son spent 6 months in the NICU in Voorhees.  She has nothing but rave reviews of the care and staff.

I have another friend that delivered last week 6 weeks early and is also in the NICU in Voorhees.  She also is extremely happy with the care and staff.  They have been wonderful with her son and her, as well as keeping her and her family informed.  

• Options
    I delivered at Cooper both times but didn't have to use NICU, but in one of their newsletters I received a few months ago there was something about their NICU receiving some kind of certificate or something like that that not many hospitals in the world have.  Good luck!
  • Options

Based solely on the potential need for a NICU, I would go with Virtua. I had both of my girls @ Kennedy Wash. and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it there. But, I was not high risk. Virtua is a baby factory... they are way more experienced with sick babies than Kennedy. My mom has worked at Kennedy for over 20 years --and she occasionalyl works in the NICU-- and even she said she would not have a baby there if a NICU is needed.

My daughter Olivia was sick when she was born and she was re-admitted to Kennedy when she was 8 days old. We stayed there for 10 days. They were really great and she got a lot of 1-on-1 care. BUT, it's because Kennedy is so small and doesn't have a lot of sick babies. We were like the big fish in a small pond. If we were at Virtua, she would have been just 1 of many many sick babies and we wouldn't have had the 1-on-1 time that we did with the Dr's and nurses.

I hope this makes sense... bottom line: if I KNEW I was having a sick baby I would go to Virtua. I had normal, healthy pregnancies so Kennedy was the best choice for me. Cooper never crossed my mind because I wasn't going to have my baby in Camden no matter what.

Here is my response to the post below about Kennedy vs. Virtua:

I'm not sure if you looked into it but Kennedy has a Level II NICU, brand new - just opened last year. Olivia was sick when she was born, she had a bacterial blood infection, and was hospitalized for 10 days @ Kennedy. My pedi never once suggested moving her to another hospital, they were more than able to care for her there.

I'm also glad they didn't move her because Kennedy is a lot closer to me than Virtua is. Living at the hospital for almost two weeks and having to drive back and forth to shower and stuff made me thankful that I chose the hospital closest to me. So I would take that into account as well.

If you require a Level III NICU (which Virtua has) you will probably know ahead of time.

JinsWifey is not alone in her desire to have her baby @ Virtua -- almost everyone around here does -- but I really like Kennedy. Like I said before, sharing a room was a real deal breaker for me because I wanted DH to be able to stay with me overnight. I had a vaginal delivery and still needed help getting the baby out of the bassinett so I could breastfeed in the middle of the night -- I have no clue how I would have done it alone, especially if I had to have a c-section.

• Options

I was a high risk pg from the beginning..I have had multiple pg losses, asherman's syndrome and 7 procedures/surgeries on my cervix which put me at risk for PTL so Virtua was my first choice for the NICU..I have already experienced PTL and have been out on bed rest for a couple weeks and the high risk Drs at Virtua are AMAZING! I have never felt like a number..I have met with 2 of the high risk Drs in the practice so far and they always seem interested in my care/case...

I am at a very high risk of having a premature baby esp b/c i started having contractions at 20 weeks so I am happy Virtua is a half hour away!

I thought about delivering at Lourdes b/c they also have an amazing NICU but my DH's entire family is from OOT and speak little english..I would rather them get lost in Voorhees then them get lost in Camden!

• Options
    imageHeather1979:

When I do decide to try for a sibling for Olivia I will be high risk. I was very dissatisfied with my MFM and my OB (Elmwood Penncare Assoc) so they are fired. I am first thinking of which hospital to deliver at, and I will be high-risk for several reasons, so NICUs are the most important factor. Underwood is OUT. 

If you had to choose based on NICUs would you select Cooper, Virtua, or Kennedy (Wash Twp)? Kennedy is right down the road, but Cooper seems to have the best unit...

Thoughts?

Sorry, I have no insight since I haven't delivered yet but I'll be delivering at Kennedy.  We must live close since Kennedy is right down the road from me, too!

Oh, and this is the worst reason to not choose a hospital (obviously, choose the one with the best care) but Cooper is just a pain since you have to pay for parking.  I always hated having to visit people there because of that.  But, again, go wherever the NICU is best.  :-)

• Options
    imageGherkina:
    imageHeather1979:

Thoughts?

Sorry, I have no insight since I haven't delivered yet but I'll be delivering at Kennedy.  We must live close since Kennedy is right down the road from me, too!

Oh, and this is the worst reason to not choose a hospital (obviously, choose the one with the best care) but Cooper is just a pain since you have to pay for parking.  I always hated having to visit people there because of that.  But, again, go wherever the NICU is best.  :-)

I live right off Egg Harbor Rd :-) We must be really close!

• Options
    imageHeather1979:
    imageGherkina:
    imageHeather1979:

Thoughts?

I live right off Egg Harbor Rd :-) We must be really close!

Definitely close!  I'm right near OVMS.  :-)

• Options

I am considered high risk because my first daughter was born with a brain injury. I delivered her at Virtua and the NICU doctors did all of the right things...she was transferred immediately to Jefferson to have head cooling (Jeff is one of only 24 hospitals in the country who were doing it at the time). Because Virtua is such a high level NICU and the doctors knew exactly what to do to get her the best treatment, I will be delivering there again.

Now I am high risk for additional reasons also, PTL and IUGR. I am so glad that we stuck with Virtua.

• Options

I was high risk due to my age (over 35) and because I later developed gestational diabetes.  I am lucky to have not needed NICU.  I delivered at Virtua and had all my US there and loved it.  I felt very confident in the doctors and I felt like a rock star when I delivered.  If I have another baby, I will go back to Virtua.

With that being said, I hear great things about Kennedy currently.  In the past I heard some negative experiences, but over 10 years ago.

Good luck, I hope the NICU is not needed for your next baby.

• Options
    I live in West Deptford and have a ways to go with my pregnancy and I am going to Cooper.  One reason, my obgyn is affiliated with Cooper and she herself is high risk and preggo with baby #2.  She raved about Cooper and their facility for the NICU is the best in the area, hands down.  So what if it is in Camden?  It is very easy to get to and not in a bad area at all.  I was just there and took a tour as well as had my first ultrasound and everyone was fantastic.  In addition, that hospital is amazing, don't make any decisions till you actually see them for yourself.  My sister had my nephew at Virtua and they sent her to Cooper because he was such a premie and there were issues.  He was at Cooper for three months and now he is a beautiful and hyper 3 year old who is smart and amazing!  I am all about the best, and Cooper is the best in my opinion. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"