Birth Stories

24 Hour Labor, Med-Free Birth

I am copying and pasting this from my blog, but I'm adding in some of the good details I know you Bump ladies can handle! I really had the most wonderful experience...I consider myself very lucky because I 100% enjoyed my birthing experience every step of the way.

My Mom had 4 med-free births and I always wanted to do the same.  I think I figured if she could, I could too.  To prepare, we chose a doula and had a private one hour class with her where we just discussed different relaxation techniques and different positions. 

By the end of the last week, I was beginning to worry that my little girl might not come on her own. I knew I didn't want to be induced because it can make your labor much more intense. We had tried all of the tricks in the book to start labor, but she was not quite ready yet. I had lost my mucus plug the week before and still nothing.  Wednesday I had some bloody show, but didn't think it really meant anything.  Friday afternoon, while doing some work on the computer, I noticed I was having very mild period-type cramps. It didn't phase me though, because contractions had been described to me as wrapping from your back to your front, and this didn't seem like a contraction by that description. Adam (DH) and I decided to head out to dinner and by the time we were eating, I realized that I was having this cramping feeling much more frequently. We left the restaurant at 9pm, after I used my iPhone app to time the contractions. They were about 45 seconds and about 5 minutes apart.  A quick walk around Target confirmed that they were getting closer and definitely more intense. We headed home and I sent Adam to bed.

I tried to get some sleep, but my contractions were coming more frequently...about 3-5 minutes apart lasting about 45 seconds. So instead I wandered around the house, took a bath and a shower and tried to sleep the best I could out on the couch. By morning, I knew we would have our little girl that day and I was so excited! Contractions had intensified over night and began lasting much longer. I was just breathing through them, really concentrating on nice deep breaths.

I called my doula, Melissa, at 8:30 am and she came over. I was also lucky enough to have a doula-in-training come as well. I'm so so glad that Hannah and Melissa were both able to be there. We spent the morning chatting away in my living room. When I would have a contraction, I would interrupt the conversation and turn and lean over onto something. Then Adam and my doulas would find their positions: one on each hip and one on my back. They would apply pressure while I would relax my muscles and breathe nice deep breaths. I would concentrate on letting my body help her move down each time. It was amazing...my body was just doing exactly what it needed to do. So we continued this pattern, chat and contractions, all morning and into the afternoon. My goal was to labor at home for as long as I could without feeling like I would have a baby in the car on the way to the hospital! So by 1:30 pm, with contractions 1 minute apart and lasting about a minute, we decided that it would be a good time to head over there. We felt fairly confident I was far enough along in labor that I wouldn't be sent home.

We got to the hospital and they checked us into a triage room. Since I was a first time mom, I think they assumed I hadn't progressed very far yet. They told me I would have to be in the triage room to be monitored for at least an hour or two. After checking me, I was already close to 6 cm dilated. The nurse happily decided to admit me to my room right away.

We checked into my room and I hopped right into the jetted tub. Water during labor feels so wonderful! I spent a very long time just soaking away with Adam by my side, encouraging me. After awhile, my temperature spiked and the baby's heart rate went up. To avoid putting me on antibiotics, my midwife had me get out and put some ice packs on me to see if that would cool me down. Thank goodness it worked! They did a quick check and I think we were all surprised to hear I was already at an 8. Only 2 cm more to go! I labored some more, with the applied pressure from my doulas, midwives and Adam. I really could not have asked for a better group to be with. I actually had my midwife Kathryn and a student midwife there. I had so much extra support and encouragement! One of the things I really enjoyed about having a midwife, was that she was there throughout all of my labor. Instead of just popping in to "catch the baby", Kathryn and the student midwife were there to support me all the way through!

I think it may sound strange, but I was actually really enjoying myself. I was so relaxed and in the zone. I was still smiling and laughing during transition. I honestly don't remember even feeling any pain.  Everyone was teasing me because I was still saying "please" and "thank you". I was even sleeping between contractions.  I can't really explain the how or the why, but it was all very bearable for me. It was a beautiful, natural process that my body was handling with ease. I had worried that in the heat of the moment, I would want meds, but the thought never even crossed my mind. I couldn't believe it when they told me that it was going to be time to push! Even though I had been laboring for a looong time, I was in shock we were at that point already.

Pushing was definitely the most challenging part of labor. I could feel the urge to push, but I didn't know exactly how to go about it. It took about a half an hour until I finally figured out the most effective way to push. It really is such hard work! I was tired at this point and really wanting to meet my little girl. Thank goodness for my great support team, because they really helped to keep me motivated! At one point I told everyone "I'm sorry but I think I'm peeing...a lot".  Turns out my water was leaking.  My water didn't completely break so I had my midwives break it so we could make some more progress.  I would describe pushing as pressure, not pain.  Finally after an hour and a half of intense pushing, Adam helped pull her out and onto my chest. At 8:31 pm on February 20th, twenty-four hours or so since contractions started, we had our little Rilo Jane. She was 8 lbs. 1 oz. and 19.5 inches.  It was the most amazing, beautiful moment of my life. I still can't believe that Adam and I brought a sweet little girl into the world. She is so perfect and we really couldn't be two happier parents!

imageimageSorry for the pics being so large...I didn't feel like resizing.  You can see pictures taken by my doula while I was laboring and more of our cute little girl on my blog.  Link below.

Re: 24 Hour Labor, Med-Free Birth

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"