Maryland Babies
Options

Delivered @ JHU Bayview?

Hi!
I'm going to have my first in a little over 6 months and was wondering if anyone has delivered/experienced JHU Bayview Labor/Delivery? My husband is regular at JHU Baltimore, but we decided to go with Bayview to deliver since it's closer to where we live.

Thanks!

Re: Delivered @ JHU Bayview?

• Options

I am not going through labor/delivery at Bayview but have had way too much experience with the hospital in the last few months because of my DH.

Parking for labor/delivery is with parking for the ER...both of which is nearly not enough for either department.  I had to park on the other side of the hospital and weave through the hospital to get to the ER when my DH was there which is right near labor/delivery.  I know they are planning a newer area for both but it is in the old part of the hospital and it shows.  In terms of care while we were there for non-baby related things - the nurses were awful and we had to put in a formal complaint.  Not saying this will happen in labor.delivery but it was bad in other departments.  The only reason we are even still with Bayview is because my DHs doctor is FABULOUS and his office is there.

GL with your decision.

• Options
    I'm sorry you've had a rough time with the other departments. My husband has gone to (and still does) doctors in JHU main campus, but I wanted to go to Bayview as it is easier for us to get to. Thanks for the honesty--I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open. Hopefully, the doctors I'm going to be working with will be nice and pleasant! Othewise, I have to find somewhere else!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My sister delivered at Bayview. The negatives I saw was parking, TINY delivery rooms and only a few of them. I delivered at Harbor Hospital twice and I loved it there!
  • Options
    Id go downtown before Bayview...I never hear good things about Bayview in any department and the docs downtown in the OB Group are great :)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Okay...not sure if you're still watching this thread, but I just delivered there 2 months ago.  This is my first baby, so I have nothing to compare.  My day nurse in l&d was grrrrrreat!  She made sure I was as comfortable as possible.  My night nurse was good, but not as good at my day nurse.

I found this to be the downside of delivery...there were 3 docs on duty and all 3 were in one delivery...ONE DELIVERY.  Now, I'm not sure if this is normal, but I was extremely uncomfortable waiting for them to come check my progress.  I was really tired and slept through most of my delivery...only waking up to a contraction.  I remembered seeing one doc...then I woke up to all 3 docs plus a mid wife in the room.

PP was great...hated my day nurse, but she was attentive.  I would deliver there again.

• Options
    I delivered at bayview over a year ago, I thought my experience was good.  Yes, there is multiple doctors in the delivery room but Hopkins is a teaching and a high-risk hospital, so they prepare for the worst situations.  I think the only issue is parking and a sleeping bed for DH.  The first room they put me in is very small and I let them know that I wanted a bigger room, and it was taken care of right away. 
  • Options

I was supposed to deliver there and changed my care after I heared 3 horror stories from 2 different people that dont know eachother. 

One was a friend that went in a couple days before she had her son .. she was in major pain and kept passing out. They sent her home saying it was anxiety. Two days later she was back and it turned out she had an abruption of the placenta. She needed transfusions and both her and the baby could have died. If they had checked her out properly when she first came in, this could have been avoided.

The other person was a friend of a client that had a similar experience. I dont remembe the exact story but it was lifethreatening as well.

After that I really did not want to deliver there. I ended up going to JH in Columbia (Howard County General Hospital)

My previous OB/GYN was transfered to Bayview and I went to see her there and asked her about the hospital. She waited until the nurse was gone and just said "You dont want to go here, trust me"   So that and those two experiences I heared about were enough for me

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"