Babies on the Brain

what makes people self-unaware?

I know that sounds odd. But I seriously want to know. N&G's teacher post inspired me.

I feel like there are SO many people out there who have NO self awareness. It's never their fault, it's always someone else to blame, their child is never at fault, etc.

what the hell makes people this way? And how the hell can you point shiit out to people who don't want to see it without causing a major shitstorm? (I don't think you can?)

discuss.

Re: what makes people self-unaware?

• I have no idea, but I almost feel like I can be the opposite at times.  I tend to take the blame for things that are in no way my fault (or anyone's fault really).  I don't understand how someone can blame everyone else for everything.

As far as pointing it out, I think you just have to hope they figure it out themselves.  If they can't take the blame that's obviously theirs, they're probably not going to be willing to listen to someone telling them about it.

• My sister is that person.  If I try to help her see that it isn't always everyone else's fault, she goes nuts.  It's impossible to reason with her.  So I end up holding my tongue a lot.  But I also think it could depend on the person and how receptive they are to feedback.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageleslie13510:

I have no idea, but I almost feel like I can be the opposite at times.  I tend to take the blame for things that are in no way my fault (or anyone's fault really).  I don't understand how someone can blame everyone else for everything.

I am like this too. I am always doing something, then questioning whether it came across the right way, did I offend someone, etc. etc. 

I just can't imagine never having that "self-check". 

my Mother needs to get some self-awareness, but that's an entirely different post. LOL

• I don't think that you can make self-unaware people self-aware, I think most are a lost cause. That's pretty terrible of me to say because I'm going to be a therapist, but it's easier for them to be unaware so why would they change?
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageheather527:
    I don't think that you can make self-unaware people self-aware, I think most are a lost cause. That's pretty terrible of me to say because I'm going to be a therapist, but it's easier for them to be unaware so why would they change?

I am intrigued by this - because I have always wondered what it must be like to try & counsel someone who has no self-awareness. That must be very challenging, no? 

Or do people who lack any awareness just avoid therapy all together, haha.

• imagemrs_b_2007:

imageheather527:
    I don't think that you can make self-unaware people self-aware, I think most are a lost cause. That's pretty terrible of me to say because I'm going to be a therapist, but it's easier for them to be unaware so why would they change?

I am intrigued by this - because I have always wondered what it must be like to try & counsel someone who has no self-awareness. That must be very challenging, no? 

Or do people who lack any awareness just avoid therapy all together, haha.

I only have my B.A., I'm getting ready to go back to grad. school, so I wouldn't know for sure what it would be like to work with someone like that. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be lol. You are right, though, someone with no self-awareness would probably avoid therapy unless someone forced them to go.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lol I dunno Mrs. B. Its all your fault. Stick out tongue

but seriously, responsibility is a hard thing for folks to pick up, practice & make their own. ::shrug::

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"