Multiples
Options

"are they twins?"

We sometimes take the girls for a walk along the coast in the afternoons when there aren't many people out.  At least once every time we go, I get asked, "Oh, are they twins?"

WTF do you think they are, people?!  Do they think they are 9 months apart and one is just really slow to develop?  What a stupid question.

MH and I also love the people who stop, stand there and just stare.  They don't say anything.  They just stare.

People are so freakin' weird!

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: "are they twins?"

• Options

LOL
    It is funny.

Though I assume that (especially when they are obviously so close in age, in a double stroller, etc.) that it's more of a rhetorical question/conversation-starter than an actual question. At least, I hope so. ;)

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    i was thinking about this tonight at dinner because we went out and got this same question a few times. i dont mind when people look at them, because i look at other people's babies. i dont mind because i think they are the two cutest babies on earth, but i agree that questions ANNOYs me. so i was thinking what would i LIKE people to say. and i came up with i would like people to say "oh what beautiful babies" and leave it at that. one twin momma stopped to talk to us one night and she was a fan of telling people they were 3 mo. apart and letting them figure it out! HA! i couldnt do that but i think it is funny. oh well. i THINK people just mean well and i try to keep that in mind. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

You could be a nanny watching children from different moms.

But usually it is just a conversation starter.  "nice weather".   

• Options
    I get are they triplets...um can you count??? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Visit our blog at www.benandkarisjourneytoparenthood.blogspot.com
  • Options

imagebenkari:

HAHA, omg, LOL!

• Options

imagebenkari:

hahahahaha, wow

Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    LOL. Actually, DH and I went out to dinner this past weekend and there were 2 little boys waiting with their mom to be seated...and they were the exact same size and dressed like twins. They didn't necessarily look alike (but were definitely brothers) so I was thinking they were fraternal twins, but before I asked the lady someone else did, "Are they twins?" No...they were a year apart!! Although I know it's easier to tell when they're babies, these little boys could have easily passed for twins. Just thought I'd share.. hehe :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

I actually said once to someone "Oh, you have twins, too!" and it turned out it was her baby and her sister's baby - so actually the "are they twins" question isn't that stupid- b/c sometimes people are watching someone else's baby...

I have been asked "how far apart in age are they?" because my boys are 5lbs apart - they don't look the same age - but they are clearly both BABIES so I don't know how someone thinks (other than adoption) that I could have 2 babies of my own that are just a few months apart! now THAT is a dumb question :)

• Options

We once had a lady ask us how old the girls were, and we said "three months," and then her NEXT question was, "Are they supposed to be twins?"  

Supposed to be?  And didn't you already catch the part where we said they're both three months old?  

People are weird. 

• Options

imagebenkari:

That is hysterical.

"supposed to be twins" now that makes no sense.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ugh.  I get that people love babies and especially multiples, but all the questions get really old.  Aside from the "are they twins" I always get "are they identical".  WTF is wrong with people...one has a penis and one has a vagina!
  • Options

Yeah, I guess I could be babysitting someone else's kid who happens to look just like mine, wear the same outfit as mine and sit in the same patterned car seat as mine.  :)  I know it's a conversation starter, but it's a really stupid one!

The staring bugs me though.  I would never stare at someone so blatantly.  If you want to look, fine, but say *something*, don't just stare at us like we are a freakshow.

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You could be babysitting one or both babies. One or both could be adopted or a foster child. There's lots of possible scenarios other than them being twins. Not a stupid question at all.
  • Options

We used to get "are the twins" all the time, but now that my son is 4 pounds larger than my DD, we get "how much older is he?" instead.

He is 4 min younger.

• Options
    imagekimarino13:

Yeah, I guess I could be babysitting someone else's kid who happens to look just like mine, wear the same outfit as mine and sit in the same patterned car seat as mine.  :)  I know it's a conversation starter, but it's a really stupid one!

The staring bugs me though.  I would never stare at someone so blatantly.  If you want to look, fine, but say *something*, don't just stare at us like we are a freakshow.

Unfortunately to some people, twins are a freakshow.  I get stared at all the time especially when I take the girls out alone.  Mostly it is looks of "wow, I'm so sorry".  People love looking at babies, they love looking at 2 babies even more.

• Options
    I don't understand people.  Before I had my boys I would never have stopped to stare at people with multiples let alone approach them.
  • Options

I was laughing at this today because I get that comment ALL the time.  Yes, I know I could be babysitting one baby...BUT they are ina  double stroller, with just me, and are IDENTICAL...so what else could they be?

I'm tempted to answer "no, what do you mean?"...just to throw people off...hehe 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I honestly don't mind the questions or staring. I find them amusing, mostly. Twins are neat to people. When I'm in a hurry sometimes it bothers me, but not because of the comments, just bc I'm in ahurry and don't feel like chatting.
  • Options
    LOL! I hate when people say that too. No..I gave birth a couple days apart..wtf! Mine look nothing alike and get....twins? are they identical? Ummmm...black hair & red hair...do you know the meaning of identical?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"