Boston Babies

She's just about to crawl ... now what?

What are some of the most important baby-proofing things that we need to do, and what can potentially wait (if anything)? Also, what kind of gear do we need for our almost-mobile baby? We have mostly hardwood floors and we are finding that she does much better at her grandparent's carpeted homes - anyone else having this problem? What have you done to help her?

Re: She's just about to crawl ... now what?

• With my son we found when he started crawling, he also started pulling up so make sure any sharp edged furniture is covered (they sell bumper type things for them), gates are a must, once they get going they go fast, cabinets needs to be locked, electrical sockets plugged, small things that are on the floor need to be picked up, if she is pulling up make sure things are out of her reach.

We also had hardwoods and bought some decent, yet cheaper, rugs at Bldg. 19 to cover the floors they worked out great. 

Good luck...

• We have mostly hardwoods and he quickly learned how to crawl on them.  He definitely started on our area rugs though.

Just be aware that she will get into EVERYTHING now, so make sure dangerous items are put away.  There's also the obvious of outlet covers, stairs and bolting things to the wall she could potentially pull down on her.

Once she's crawling she'll learn to pull up...so having safe items for her to do this on is key.  Also push toys are so much fun for them once they can stand.

Have fun!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • So then is this a good time to "drop" her crib mattress in anticipation of her pulling up there?
  • imageBreezer80:
    So then is this a good time to "drop" her crib mattress in anticipation of her pulling up there?

I think we dropped his a notch when he started sitting up...then another notch when he pulled up on his knees...and then all the way when he could stand.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKelzinBoston:

imageBreezer80:
    So then is this a good time to "drop" her crib mattress in anticipation of her pulling up there?

I think we dropped his a notch when he started sitting up...then another notch when he pulled up on his knees...and then all the way when he could stand.

I'd just watch her, they are just so quick. if she is starting to pull up I'd say drop it. Better to be safe than sorry. 

• Yeah .. that's what I'm thinking. I threw my back out about a month ago picking her up from her crib in the middle of the night, and I am so afraid if its any lower I'm going to have some problems - but better my back than her butt, right?  ;)
  • You know, I've heard that a really good way to double-check your baby-proofing is to get down on your kid's level.  I've noticed most of my safety snafus when down on the floor playing with my DD.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"