Special Needs
Options

Has anyone actually done the GFCF diet?

Wondering how hard it is to transition to or if it's worthwhile...

Re: Has anyone actually done the GFCF diet?

• Options

We do it for celiac disease.  It is a tough diet.  We were luckily able to add dairy back into DD's diet and it got a lot easier.  I have some info in my bio if you're interested.

• Options

I tried this with my son.  It did not help my son at all!

It was very hard at first.  After a few months, it defintely got easier.  The  food is VERY expensive and some of the food items are really bad tasting as well.  I used to hate spending money on food and having my son tell me how bad it tasted.  BUT again, it took a few months for us to figure out what he liked and what he did not like,

• Loading the player...
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10XofXCoctw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW3Bsy6Ew3U&NR=1

www.thegfcflady.com

My nephew follows the GFCF diet. He tantrums less and listens better. To say the least he is more focused. He's 11 and has been on the diet since he was two.

And lurking out.  

30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    We've been doing it for about a year. It's tough at first and it's definitely recommended NOT to go cold turkey, but to transition. TACA website has a 10week transition schedule you can read. Your child is less likely to go through rough withdrawals when you slowly ease into it one meal at a time. It's been successful for us and my son is NOT aggressive or low functioning. He's high functioning, no obvious gut issues or allergies and very mild mannered. I also do not agree with the 10% success. If you go to a DAN conference or talk to a DAN dr who specializes in this on a daily basis, they can show you data that the percentage is significantly higher. If you need any specific info, you can let me know. I'll be happy to help.
  • Options

imagehopanka:
    We've been doing it for about a year. It's tough at first and it's definitely recommended NOT to go cold turkey, but to transition. TACA website has a 10week transition schedule you can read. Your child is less likely to go through rough withdrawals when you slowly ease into it one meal at a time. It's been successful for us and my son is NOT aggressive or low functioning. He's high functioning, no obvious gut issues or allergies and very mild mannered. I also do not agree with the 10% success. If you go to a DAN conference or talk to a DAN dr who specializes in this on a daily basis, they can show you data that the percentage is significantly higher. If you need any specific info, you can let me know. I'll be happy to help.

Do you see a DAN doctor?? I (finally) like my pedi (new one) but wonder if it might be beneficial to seek one out... don't know anyone who has done it though. I'm less than thrilled with my developmental pedi at the moment.

• Options
    imageDory904:

imagehopanka:

Do you see a DAN doctor?? I (finally) like my pedi (new one) but wonder if it might be beneficial to seek one out... don't know anyone who has done it though. I'm less than thrilled with my developmental pedi at the moment.

Yes, we have a DAN dr. I like my pedi, too - but you should really consult with someone whose specialty is JUST this. Pedis usually have limited knowledge in this sort of stuff. Also, before you start shelling out big bucks, do your research and go to a reputable DAN dr - not all of them are great. I think TACA has a list (not sure which state you're from) - they are more CA based, but I think they're in other states, too. Otherwise, going to a parent  conference can be of tremendous help - you'll find out a ton of info and many references for good doctors. I hear you on the Develop. Pedi - mine looked like she didn't know what she was doing...and she's suppossed to be one of the best ones at UCLA.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"