Orange County Babies
Options

Has anyone taken a Baby Signs class?

I was just looking at some info about a class to take and found some local instructors....just curious if anyone did this. I am not quite sold on *needing* a class per se, but thought it would be a fun get out of the house type thing. TIA!
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Has anyone taken a Baby Signs class?

• Options
    oh, I'm interested.   Where/when are these classes?
    TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI #1 - #4 (repronex trigger) = BFN
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    med/treatment free BFP 06/28/10. EDD 03/05/11 *** GIRL #2 (02/23/11)
    beta#1 @ 17dpo = 1296 .... beta#2 @ 19dpo = 3034
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    it's the Bug and Baby Belle!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

A girl in my moms group does them on Tuesday nights, 4 weeks, $100 in Irvine.  I also looked into this one https://abcmesign.com/ starts in April and is on the weekends, which is better for me, but its more $.  Its in Newport Beach.

I think I am going to take a class.  It sounds like it would be more like an activity for Reese and I.  I know you can just get a book and learn to do it, but I am a more visual/auditory learning, so I would probably put the book down in a week or less!  ha! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemisslb02:

I also looked into this one https://abcmesign.com/ starts in April and is on the weekends, which is better for me, but its more $.  Its in Newport Beach.

Keira and I are taking this Saturday class right now, actually.  I too needed a weekend class, although they also offer a couple of classes during the week in Irvine.

We are late getting started, normally the Growing Together class through abc me sign is newborn through 15 months.  But I gave them a call, and they said it was okay for us to come.  The teacher is really good and it's a fun class.  I also got a training DVD which has been very helpful.  Honestly, I don't know that I could really learn to sign from a book.  It's much easier when you see someone.

• Options
    the la habra gymboree has them too :)
  • Options

imageweebaby:

ohhh good to know :)  

• Options
    imagezeesbride:

imageweebaby:

ohhh good to know :)  

thought that may interest you 

email me if you need a referral.... i think you get money off :) 

• Options

Do you guys use American Sign Language?  I read in one of my baby books, to just make up your own signs for baby, because the ASL signs aren't necessarily as intuitive as the signs baby would think to do naturally.  

For example, I will probably teach LO things like putting her hands up in the air for "all done", or rubbing her belly for "I'm hungry."  Things like that. 

For what it's worth, I would be teaching baby sign language for the sole purpose of being able to communicate with her more, not with the hopes that she'll go to Yale later in life.... like a certain mom nerd I know.  Wink 

Just curious as to what you guys are doing. 

• Options

it depends on the class but the sole purpose is for communicating, no matter what sign they use. i believe most baby sign classes encourage that as well.

we didnt take a class but "taught" him signs that he still uses with us - it does make life easier. 

• Options

I was looking at the ASL site also and have been doing some signs to her already ( milk and please). I was thinking it might be useful when she is a toddler and can think faster than she can verbalize, I remember one of my CD teachers suggesting that.

Thanks wee, I'll let you know! :)  

• Options
    imageAPK.:

Do you guys use American Sign Language?  I read in one of my baby books, to just make up your own signs for baby, because the ASL signs aren't necessarily as intuitive as the signs baby would think to do naturally.  

For example, I will probably teach LO things like putting her hands up in the air for "all done", or rubbing her belly for "I'm hungry."  Things like that. 

For what it's worth, I would be teaching baby sign language for the sole purpose of being able to communicate with her more, not with the hopes that she'll go to Yale later in life.... like a certain mom nerd I know.  Wink 

Just curious as to what you guys are doing. 

Hey APK, the classes by ABC Me Sign are ASL.  My thought is that if she wants to continue, she's at least learning a real language.  And I kind of like that I'm learning something real too.

Yalies unite!  We are awesome.  Stick out tongue

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"