1st Trimester

Chocolate or not chocolate

I have been told that Caffeine or chocolate is not good for the growing baby. Also it causes ADHD or ADD.  I was wondering if it was true or if a little isn't bad.  I know that when my mom was pregnant with me, she was told she was not supposed to eat a lot of things but now however now everything seems to be okay  to eat.  I'm so confused!! I want the best for my baby, please help!

Re: Chocolate or not chocolate

• A little is fine.  Promise!!!

Don't drink several cups of coffee, then drink cokes all day, and eat chocolate at night.  But a coke a day or a cup of coffee or normal serving of chocolate isn't going to hurt anything.

If you're really concerned, ask your Dr. when you go, or call the nurses number and verify it with them. 

• Its okay in moderation, I eat Chocolate... not all the time and not much when I do, but sometimes I REALLY want chocolate.  I feel bad eating too much though because of the caffeine in it, but I think its just everyone's own feelings towards that kind of stuff.  I'm not sure about the ADHD or ADD I haven't heard of that... sorry hon, I'm not much help there :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • FFS, have a Snickers! Big Smile

• Moderation is the key word here. In my 2nd tri with DS my doctor told me to drink a coke or a cup of coffee a day to keep the pg headaches away. And now I'm 8 weeks pg again and there is no way I'd be able to get through the day of running after my 8 month old without a little caffine.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yeah I eat chocolate daily.  I did with DD too.  She turned out....well it's too early to tell but so far so good.
  • imageH4'sFan:

FFS, have a Snickers! Big Smile

Yes!!! This!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Chocolate is not going to give your baby ADD or ADHD. Who told you that?

You are allowed to have a small amount of caffeine per day. Chocolate has very small amounts of caffeine, and unless you plan on eating 20 bars of chocolate a day, you're not going to come anywhere close to the daily allowance.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Hahahaha, I'm going to have a severely ADHD kid then based on the amount of Cadbury Mini Eggs I've eaten in the last week.

Everything you read on the internet is not true. 

• **drinking a small cup of hot cocoa as I type!**  

Everything in moderation! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My mom has a sweet tooth and never gave up her chocolate cravings when pg with me...I didn't have any issues.

And I didn't give up my chocolate when pg with ds and he's fine. As some posts said, the amount of caffeine in chocolate is so small. I think you're allowed 200-300mg of caffeine a day.

• I avoided caffeine up until a couple days ago after my 2nd OB appointment.  I talked with my doctor and she said it is absolutely fine in moderation!  I felt a little better after the appointment so I had a *few* sips of coke because I have been SO exhausted!!!!  It definitely helped me wake up a bit, so I will continue to have caffeine in moderation!  As for chocolate, I do the same but there is NO way I can give it up completely Wink
  • Everything in moderation. Eat a snickers, it won't kill you.

The adhd/add sounds like complete BS to me, but I don't buy into anything that smells like Jenny McCarthy had her hand in it.

Natural M/C-> 10/21/09

2011 Reading Challenge

2011 Reading Challenge
    Adrienne has read 16 books toward her goal of 80 books.
    hide
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • a little is fine, just don't overindulge.
  • imagezukolivie:
    How about we all start listening to our doctors instead of well intentioned but misinformed family members?

*like*

• Thanks so much for all of your responses!! I look forward to my chocolate and I just wanted to check before indulging.. moderately of course!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"