Minnesota Babies
Options

Laundry Detergent

Hi!  I know Dreft is the recommended laundry detergent to use on anything that will touch baby, but I was wondering if you could also use the hypoallergenic/no dyes/no perfumes versions of other detergents?  I only ask because Dreft is so expensive and I have coupons that can be used on the other kinds.  Thanks!

Re: Laundry Detergent

• Options
    I never bough Dreft - waste of money imho.  We use the 'free and clear' type detergent anyway, so I just wash baby things in the same stuff we normally use.  Olivia has super sensitive skin (to the point that right now she can't even wear disposable diapers) and we have never had a problem with her reacting to her blankets/clothing.
  • Options
    Like PP I didn't like Dreft (way to much money) so I just started using "all clear" (I think that is the name) on his CD & his blankets. But for his outfits we just wash it with our stuff in normal tide we have never had a problem with it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never bought Dreft - just used whatever "Free and Clear" detergent I could find.  I've actually started using that for all of our clothes, since it got to be a PITA to remember to use different detergents for different loads.
  • Options
    Yes, use the other stuff. I actually bought Dreft to wash all her clothes before she was born and I actually think it has a strong scent. I don't know what's mild about it. Since then, I've bought ALL or whatevers on sale in the white bottles (those are usually the hypoallergenic/mild stuff), and I like them much better. That being said, I've also washed her clothes in our regular Tide and she hasn't broken out in hives.
    imageCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    I just switched to All Free and Clear.  Dreft is super strong and expensive.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options

We buy a huge bottle of the Target brand dreft (so not really Dreft, but comparable to dreft).  If I buy a big bottle of that, it'll last me 6 months+, and I do a ton of laundry.  It ends up being pretty cost efficient. 

It's cheaper than the Tide that we use on our clothes.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We just use All free and clear. I am not big on the baby "gimmicks" and Dreft is one of them. You pay so much just because its "for baby". Its like dog shampoo. That is just baby shampoo marked up so we just buy Johnson's baby shampoo for the dogs too.
  • Options
    We use All Free & Clear and Downy Sensitive(? whatever the white bottle is called) on all our clothes. I can't stand the way Dreft smells and ended up tossing an almost full humongo bottle of it that my mom had bought for us before baby arrived after washing a couple loads in it.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I use the free and clear stuff as well. I have a bottle of dreft spray and wash stuff because it works AWESOME! haha So we all use it here instead of shout. But other then the free and clear stuff works just fine. and cheaper.
    TTC #3 since June 2011. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

We use Cheer free and clear, we actually smelled the bottles in the store and we both tought Dreft had more scent then any other.

We also thought it was just over priced because thats what your "suppose" to use for babies.

• Options
    Anything scent-free/dye free is a good choice.  I actually liked Dreft, but we use Tide Free now. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

we CD, so we have to be picky about what goes into our washer. 

We use either planet liquid or rockin green detergent. Both are awesome. We also use vinegar in a downy ball instead of fabric softener.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:

We use either planet liquid or rockin green detergent. Both are awesome. We also use vinegar in a downy ball instead of fabric softener.  

I am also planning to cloth diaper... so expand on what you mean by "picky".  Thanks!! 

• Options
    imageMrsTallPaul:
    imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:

I am also planning to cloth diaper... so expand on what you mean by "picky".  Thanks!! 

Well, CD's can only be washed with certain detergents. No enzymes or brighteners. I looked at https://pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoicesataglancepspd.htm

to find one. We used crunchy clean (made by a former nestie) for awhile, but we had horrible rash and stink issues from it, so we switched.

I really like rockin green. The owner is fantastic to work with as well. But, sometimes we run out before I get more, so then we use planet, because I can get it at our local grocery store.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"