Working Moms

Did anyone switch jobs while pregnant?

I am thinking about switching jobs while pregnant and was wondering if any of you did it?  We are concerned about health insurance not transferring and with the 3 month wait usually and everything else.  I just dont feel I am contributing enough and want to do more.  I am due in October but am also concerned that no one will want to take on a pregnant lady or tell them in the interview.  Any advice.  I am extremely emotional today.  TIA
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Did anyone switch jobs while pregnant?

• also consider FMLA eligibility.

I took a new position while i was early in my pregnancy- everything worked out just fine for me. However there is A LOT to consider.

i never told in my interview.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • i would not do it simply b/c you might not be eligible for maternity leave... most companies require you to be there for a year.

• Loading the player...
  • I was recruited for a job right before I started TTC #2. I turned it down, and one reason was because I didn't want to start a new job knowing how crappy I might feel. I felt way worse with #2, and it didn't start up until about week 8 or 9.

I'm VERY glad I didn't do it.

• I switched when I was about 6mo.    To answer your question about insurance, if you were continuously covered while pregnant before switching insurance, your new insurance company will cover you.  BUT, you will have a new deductible, etc.  My old company merged with a new one before I changed jobs, so for a single pregnancy, I have THREE insurance companies and THREE deductibles.  It sucked.  I can't speak about the leave, because my new job had a set maternity policy, regardless of time employed.
  • I did but it was really more of a transfer to a different government agency so I still kept my FMLA and health insurance. 

• I've been considering the same thing. Working crazy hours and every wkend etc. I dont think I can keep this up all throughout my pregnancy. :/  I'm worried about the same thing (health insurance, interviewing and maternity) I think it's worth you interiewing and seeing whats out there. What could it hurt? I would, but haven't been able to get away from work to do it! lol
  • i think it is always good to interview when you are asked - at the worst it is good experience in interviewing.  if you are on a group health insurance plan and have had continuous coverage and are going to another group insurance plan they have to cover you (your insurer will give you a certificate of credible coverage) - the leave issue is another thing but depending on what your company offers and depending on the benefits and salary at where you would be going it could wind up being a wash or a short term sacrifice for a longer term gain.  good luck!
  • Hmmm...I am in a similar situation. However, right now I am only TTC but still you usually need to be in a position for 12 months before you are eligible for FMLA. I had a friend who began a job when she was three months pregnant and when she finally had the baby she ended up only being able to take four weeks off (combined sick and vacation time ) after the delivery. It was very hard on her and I would love not to go through the same ordeal. Although, I do agree with sesame47 it is always good to interview.
  • There's certainly nothing wrong with pursuing it now if you want to change jobs, there's just certain things you need to be cognizant of.  You will not be eligible/covered by FMLA (i.e., any and all paid or unpaid leave is totally at the discretion of the employer, and you won't have much time to build paid leave).  Medical insurance can be tricky, they can't deny you coverage if you've had it but maternity can have some riders to it (same with short term disability if that's offered).  My advice is to go ahead and look into it, and if you are offered a position, make sure that leave/insurance/etc. will be in place in a manner that works for you before you accept.  It doesn't hurt to try, unless trying is going to stress you out so much it's not worth it or you are concerned about a new job while pregnant (a call only you can make).  People do get hired pregnant.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"