North Dakota Babies

? about pediatricians

Do you meet with them before the LO is born?  Or just call and let them know you are expecting and that you are choosing them to be your LO's doc??

Re: ? about pediatricians

• I did not but I know some people do.  I just went by recommendations.  
  • I chose 3 that were highly recommended to me by different people and set up cosultations with each.  I told my OB my pick, and they let the hospital know and then the hospital contacted the pedi when I delivered. 

You have to deal with your pedi and their nurse often so I recommend making sure it is someone you like and somewhere you are comfortable. 

• Loading the player...
  • I definitely went and interviewed two different pedis before she was born.  I'm glad I did, because I got to see if our personalities would "mesh" and one I ruled out right away because the hours were not suitable to my schedule.  If you are pretty laid back, I would say you could skip it, but it was personally important to me to do a meet and greet before she was born.  GL!
  • What kinds of questions would you ask a pedi in an interview?
  • It depends on the Dr.  Some pediatricans have you make an appt before hand so you can meet them and ask questions and make sure that they are what you want.  Others don't care. Rowen's Dr had us make an appt but then he was born before the appt in which case he normally wouldn't have come to the hospital and wouldn't have been his Dr until we met with him but his brother delivered Rowen so he made an exception feeling that their styles were so much alike that we would be happy with him.  I LOVED him and was terribly sad when we had to leave. 

Get recommendations from friends and family members and I would recommend meeting with them before hand.  There are lots of things that Dr's do differently and you will want to know that before you get involved with one.  Like if you see that Dr or the on call when you make a sick child appt at the last minute. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • My OB gave me two recommendations and I picked one of them. I will just call them in a few weeks and let them know that my LO will be a patient there in a few weeks etc.....I did not interview. I have many friends that use the practice and are very happy with them, so I am going to try it and see..Worse case I change Dr's no big deal to me.....
  • Around here, it is common practice to have a prenatal session....mine are set for a couple weeks out--I can let you know how they go?!  It seems like it's going to be a meet & greet type of thing, open for questions & then a tour of the office.

And yes, we must choose a pedi before the LO is delivered b/c apparently they come to the hospital after the baby's born.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"