Georgia Babies

Day 1 of Couponing

Well I spent several HOURS this morning reviewing the Publix ad and printing coupons, clipping, etc.  First I went to CVS which was an epic fail of all fails...I thought I purchased the items that would get me some ECB but I got 0 ECB.  I *might* have shed a tear in the parking lot.

Publix - I saved $65 with the use of coupons but I spent $160 which is WAY higher than we normally spend for a week's worth of groceries.  However, our pantry looks like a bomb shelter and the spare freezer in the garage is stocked full of Green Giant Vally Fresh Steamers :o)  I think it gave us at least 2 weeks worth of food, if not more.  I'll need to go back to get meat, eggs, cheese, milk, etc but the side dishes are taken care of for a LONG time, lol.

I bought two AJC papers and to be honest I'm a little disapointed.  I got the same circulars from Publix and CVS that I picked up in the stores.  There was only one really good insert of coupons but the rest were just store ads, no coupons.  Maybe this was just an off week? 

Re: Day 1 of Couponing

• Good job on the $60! That's an awesome start! It took me a couple months to get enough stocked up before I could go  weeks without any grocery shopping (except produce, milk, bread etc...). Those first weeks I was spending at LEAST $100 a trip but saving at least $50. Now, I have enough meat, veggies, etc to last a couple months. Couponing is overwhelming at first, but the effort is worth it. Its so much fun to watch the total keep falling as the coupons are scanned. I haven't looked in my paper yet so I don't know what the coupons are like, but there will be weeks that there aren't any, but the next week will likely be sooo many!

Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Ok good, glad to hear that you started out spending a lot too.  I think DH is very skeptical at this point, lol.  I loved how at the end when she was scanning my coupons the total just kept going down and down.  The lady behind me was like WOW honey you really are saving a lot!  You're so smart!  Haha!  

The only gripe I had with Publix was I couldn't tell which coupons went with which items because it just said "vendor coupon" and it seems that many that could have been doubled, weren't.  I called earlier and asked about doubling coupons, and the girl said they would double them as long as the coupon didn't say "do not double".  Hmm 

• Loading the player...
  • Wow that is amazing. No matter what, ?I never save more than like $5 or so in coupons.?
  • The coupons ebb and flow. Also it's cheaper to get the AJC delivered just on sundays. I started out spending more but saving a lot. I buy out meat at costco unless pork chops are on sale like they are this week then I just buy a smaller amount for the meal I have in mind. The nice thing in that the coupons are good for a while and if you clip one the item will likely be on sale in the coming weeks. It's a lot of effort but I think it's worth it. Especially for things like cereal. The best is when publix has a bogo on someting that I have a coupon for. Stick with it you will definitely save in the long run.
    Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • This was a light week in terms of coupons.  Southernsavers.com will do a coupon preview or you can google 2010 coupon schedule and see how many inserts per week.  Definitely watch for the P&G inserts (pampers coupons)

Kroger and Publix double anything up to $.50.  

As for CVS - did you use an Extra Care card?  you need that to generate your ECB's.

Still that was a very good start to your couponing.  You'll get better as you go.  I saved 82% on one of my grocery trips today at Kroger.  They have pampers wipes for $1.99 and I had $.50 coupons which got doubled so I paid only $.99 a box.  I had quite a few freebie coupons as well.  Kroger mails coupons out quarterly and they typically include 1 - 3 freebies (I got Cheerios and Crest today).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • DH was skeptical too until he went grocery shopping without coupons for just a few items and spent about the same as I do on a cart full of items when I shop sales and w coupons.
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • LOL you made me laugh about almost crying in the CVS parking lot.  CVS is a lot of work.  I feel like i haven't got the time to figure it out.  It is hard on southersavers b/c she is assuming you start w/ ECB in most scenarios. 

I think you will find couponing gets much easier once you get a stash of coupons.  Great job saving $65!!  Just think next trip there will be a lot of stuff you won't have to buy since you stocked up today. 

photo bigsister032_zps1fdfe81e.jpgLilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • this was a light week for the coupons. I was kind of annoyed that I paid for the paper today to be honest.  Guz  is right, once you get the swing of it  you won't have to shop as often and will only go when you need to stockpile or to get perishables.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrs.PeachyKeen:

As for CVS - did you use an Extra Care card?  you need that to generate your ECB's.

OMG, I didn't use my CVS Extra Care card!!!  WTF was I thinking?!  I know, I was chatting with the cashier and didn't even think about it.  I must concentrate next time! 

• Also make sure that you sign up for any kind of baby club that's available. Publix has one and they would mail out coupons all the time for diapers, wipes, shampoo and sometimes even $ off a deli or dairy item. They also sent me a free book (and it was a nice one) when I signed up. Sign up on formula websites, even if you KNOW you're going to breastfeed. You can give the samples to friends or to a food pantry if you don't end up needing them. Sign up on the gerber website and all the diaper manufacturer websites and you'll get coupons from them too. When the baby is born, register for Upromise (it's free) and sign up all your debit, credit and store rewards cards to start saving for college automatically.

• I saved $30 today on my trip but still spent $90 which is way more than I usually spend.  But that included everything I needed for this week and more.  So we will see.  I had a hard time with couponmom and i heart publix and southern saver.  I think I just need to stick with one.
  • Question. 

Did you use a manufacturers AND a SS/RP coupon on any item today?  I can get one coupon but getting two on the same product has been a struggle?  Maybe I will get more in the coming weeks?

• FYI:  If a holiday falls the week before. Like on Thurs or Friday don't expect to fnd coupons from Red Plum and Smart Source in the Sunday Newspaper.
  • imageladybugDZ:

Question. 

Did you use a manufacturers AND a SS/RP coupon on any item today?  I can get one coupon but getting two on the same product has been a struggle?  Maybe I will get more in the coming weeks?

SS/RP count as manuf. coupons too, right?  You're only allowed one manuf. coupon per item so maybe that was why you had trouble?  I had very few actual store coupons.  I had a few from Publix Baby Club for milk and dairy, so I used those....but the majority were printable ones I printed off yesterday. 

• This is what I have been thinking ..is your time worth the savings you get with coupons? I use them a lot but I have to tell you it takes me a long time to research and my time is worth something to.  I want to learn how to do this efficiently so that I am not spending hours on how to research how to save $50 dollars. You know? 
  • imagePeach&Fireworks:
    imageMrs.PeachyKeen:

OMG, I didn't use my CVS Extra Care card!!!  WTF was I thinking?!  I know, I was chatting with the cashier and didn't even think about it.  I must concentrate next time! 

Take your receipt back and your card, maybe even what you bought if it wasn't a bit.  Especially if there were things in the circular that you bought that would have given you ECB.
    Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I will say it took me about a month to truly see savings with using coupons (ie, not spending more than I used to, even if I was coming home with more food than before).  Because you really need to go to the store with more than just that week's coupons....I will clip a coupon and then might not use it for 2-3 weeks, waiting for the item to go on sale.  It definitely takes some time to get in the routine, but if you get good at it, then it's really cool to see how much food you can get for so little! 
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • How do you tell if they doubled  a coupon...I don't feel like I've EVER seen mine doubled......
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • imageJoelsGirl07:
    How do you tell if they doubled  a coupon...I don't feel like I've EVER seen mine doubled......

You should see soimething like bonus or double in the line after the coupon on your receipt.  So it will be 2 $.50 off in a row and then maybe 2 $.25 off in a row.  

As for stacking coupons that someone was mentioning- you can use one store and one manufacturer coupon(the manufacturer are typically the print at home or the ones in the SS/RP inserts - they will say Manufacturer).  Publix issues lots of coupons - look for LU code and that will be a dead giveaway - and you can use these with a manufacturer.  Target is another good local place that you can stack coupons.  I get Kroger coupons mailed to me, but they are harder to come by.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh crap, I forgot to buy a paper! In my defense, I spent the morning trying to get DH off the floor because he pulled a muscle in his back and couldn't move and then we spent the evening at Egleston with DS. Just a virus, but he sure gave mommy a scare.
  • $60 is a fantastic savings!!

Something that I suggest (not sure if they covered this in the class) is to check out a couple of websites for coupons.  I'll post the list that I use.  I do this almost every week.  Also, if there are brands that you really prefer (i.e. Stoneyfield Farms, Pepperidge Farms, etc..) check their websites out.  They usually have coupons available.  For example, Pepperidge Farms had coupons this week for $.75 off Goldfish and $.50 off Bread.  We use both of these so I printed off about 4 of each coupon because they don't expire until April.

Also, have you joined uPromise yet?  I only bring this up because they always seem to have some great eCoupons that you can use at Publix, Kroger, CVS, etc.. Plus, you'll be able to start a mini-college fund!

Here are some of the sites that I use:

https://printable-coupons.blogspot.com/

https://www.dealseekingmom.com/

https://coupons.redplum.com/stretchingabuck/

https://coupons2.smartsource.com/smartsource/index.jsp?Link=2VAXBFAWFHBK2

https://print.coupons.com/couponweb/Offers.aspx?pid=13903&nid=10&zid=xh20

https://printablecoupondatabase.com/ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I agree Jodi - time is valuable and I literally spent hours yesterday doing this. I'm hoping as I get more organized and get the hang of it I won't spend as much time! I am going to give it a good 6-8 weeks to see how I do.
  • To save time I skip the circulars and rely on southernsavers.com.  This actually saves me time as I can make my shopping list right there on line.  Couponing takes up very little of my time.  Once you get organized its quick and easy.  I often clip my coupons on lunch break rather than going out.
  • The AJC varies each week with how many coupon inserts are in the paper.  On SouthernSavers she does have a post that lists how many inserts will be in the paper each week for the year.  Take a peak...it's helpful to know when to buy double papers and when not to bother.

Welcome to couponing!

• I really, really tried to be a good couponer. The problem is that most coupons are for things we don't use, a lot of processed foods, etc. I have gone back to my "old" way of couponing. I still save $5-15/week. I'll stack store and vendor coupons when I can, but I can't spend 2-3 hours/week on it like I did when I wasn't working.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"