Cincinnati Babies

Anyone take a business trip?

My school district is sending me to a national convention in Boston with my boss during my spring break.  We have to drive there, so I'll be gone six days, maybe seven.  I know this is a once in a lifetime chance, but I am freaking out over being away from DS for so long.  I know he'll be fine with DH, but I really am having my own separation anxiety.  I'm sure other mommies have dealt with these emotions.  How did you handle it? 
Married 12.27.03

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone take a business trip?

• I feel your pain! There is an opportunity for me to go to a conference in Indianapolis this summer but it is six days long. I can't possibly imagine being away from Leah that long and I am freaking out so much. I haven't signed up yet and it's due on Thursday. I wish I had an answer!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had to take a week long business trip when DD was two.  I took a laptop and a web cam with me and made sure I could talk to her at least once a day. I was so busy during the trip that I didn't have as much time to worry as I thought I would.  I worried a ton the weeks before though, but she was totally fine. 

Good luck! I've always wanted to go to Boston.

• Loading the player...
  • I took a trip last spring for work. We got a webcam for our home computer and I already had one for my laptop and I checked in a few times a day when I knew I could see Nora on the camera. It was a lot of fun for me and made me feel more comfortable being away from my hubby and Nora. Honestly, I dreaded the long flight and trip by myself but I ended up really having a great time. It sounds like a great opportunity for you and I'm sure you'll make the best out of it!
  • I guess I am a special snowflake here. I am leaving this week (Tues. - Fri) for a professional conference and I'm not freaking about it. She'll be home with Daddy who adores her and whom she adores. If anything, I have been on DH a little about making sure her routines are followed, that she gets her medications, etc but for the most part I feel okay about it. I'll miss her certainly but she'll have a good time with Daddy and I will have some quiet time to myself.   
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I didn't take a business trip, but rather a ladies only trip last summer to Myrtle Beach.  We left on a Friday and got back the following Friday.  And I was still EPing.  Emotionally it was alright.  I missed dh and B like crazy, but I would call them daily- each afternoon when I went in from the beach to pump as well as each night before I went to sleep.  I thought a lot about not going, but the escape was worth it.  Once I got into my routine, things were good.  There were a few tearful moments, but I brought pictures of B and had a lot of phone calls home.  I also had a lot of fun being free of the responsibilities of being a mom (even if I was still pumping 4x a day!).  I also reminded myself that this was 1 week in Brandon's life of many hundred.  That seemed to help.  Me being refreshed and rejuvenated meant I would be able to be a better mommy down the road. 

ETA:  I actually got to read my own books while I was there!  I spent almost 2 weeks later in the summer at another beach with DH, B, and other family members and didn't even get through 1 book.  The ability to read like that was heavenly! 

• imageMoesten:
    I guess I am a special snowflake here. I am leaving this week (Tues. - Fri) for a professional conference and I'm not freaking about it.

I'm with Moesten.  I have taken a few trips since E's been in the picture.. some business, some personal.  IMO it makes me a better mom (more patient, loving, etc.) for me to get away for a while.  It helps emphasize to me how important he is and let's me recharge.  That isn't to say I don't miss him like a lunatic while I am gone, but I like getting away without Eli every once in a while.  Besides when I go without DH and he is home with E, the two of them LOVE it.

Mr & Mrs - 10/15/05
    Elijah Matthew - 5/3/07 ~ Adalyn Rosemary - 3/23/11
    imageimage
    *Photos by Kacy Cierley*
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"