Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Teach me how to potty train....

The post below has gotten me thinking. What method has been successful for you?

Re: Teach me how to potty train....

• Options

1st, you will want to make sure he is ready. Then choose a time when you can be home for a couple days.  Put him in undies and take him potty often.  He will have several accidents, but don't get upset with him, and LOTS of praise/reward when he does go on the potty. 

BUT I would not tackle potty training at the same time as going to a new bed.  It's too much at once. ; )

• Options

We finally got our son potty trained.  It seemed like forever!!  We started with a movie called Once Upon a Potty, then we initiated the "big boy" potty...and also a toilet item called Piddlers that creates a game for a boy to "aim" at. : )  We rewarded him every time he went, but we also never made a huge deal about it and always let him go at his own pace.  Forcing him made him take a step back, but just being proud of his daily trying and accomplishments made him take huge steps forward.  He is now and has been fully potty trained and he is very proud of himself and his "big boy" undies....those definitely help with becoming independent to use the potty.  Hope this helps! :)  Be very patient and have faith, when your child is ready, they will potty on their own naturally.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

we went about it a different way (i think)

we started him on the potty at 17 months as part of his night time routine (a potty ring on the big potty) after about 2 weeks he actually started peeing and pooped  about 5 times.  then he would sit and peed 9 chances out of ten but nothing else.  at 2 years old daycare started him on the potty every hour, he was great about it at first and would go every time but still randomly wetting diapers. and at home we were just putting him on the potty at night time still.  i tried at home putting him on the potty every 1-2 hours and it was a huge fail he fought it and did not want to sit on the potty.  so his teacher suggested underwear.  we went with it and it took about 2 weeks to be accident free.  he still wears a diaper at bedtime and for naps i put a pull up on over his underwear. but during the day he is trained, for  the most part he stays dry during naps and is starting to stay dry at night.

for us it was a gradual thing

• Options

I read a book called "Early Start Potty Training" that made good sense to me.  Good tools and recommendations broken down by age groups.

We yanked the diapers, went to underwear, and kept at it until they got it.  It took about a week and a lot of laundry for both.  

Not always the most popular option but it worked for us.

Both my guys were day time trained by 20 months.  Might have been easier later but I know for us it would have been harder during the "terrible 2's" so I'm glad we got it done.

I can say that training them at 3 would probably have been easier but that's a loooong time putting diapers in land fills IMO.   Glad we did it when we did. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"