Breastfeeding

If LO doesn't finish a bottle of breastmilk...

can you offer him/her that bottle later in the day if it's kept refrigerated? 

Re: If LO doesn't finish a bottle of breastmilk...

• I don't know if you are supposed to, but I do. I smell it and if it smells fine, I give it to her. Earlier today she was fussy so I warmed a bottle and she fell asleep. So I just left it out and when she woke up an hour later I gave it to her.

• Absolutely.  BM is not like formula (that hass to be discarded).  If the milk was frozen / thawed, then it's good for up to 24 hours.  If it was never frozen (just straight from the pump to the fridge), it's good for 4 days or so.  Check out KellyMom for additional details.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have actually been told by my docs and LCs that once my LO has started drinking the BM, it is only good for an hour.  This is because the bacteria from LOs mouth gets into the BM, and once they drink from it, it gets in the milk.   I was told this causes the composition of the BM to change...
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagevml14:
    I have actually been told by my docs and LCs that once my LO has started drinking the BM, it is only good for an hour.  This is because the bacteria from LOs mouth gets into the BM, and once they drink from it, it gets in the milk.   I was told this causes the composition of the BM to change...

I had read that in all the books and my LC said the same thing with DS but then his ped told me that it doesn't really matter.  If the bacteria is coming from the baby's mouth.... it's not gonna hurt to put it back where it came from.  

I think this is probably one of those subjects where everyone tells you something different and you just have to go with what you think is best.

Got my little men 2/23/08 and 8/29/10!! 2 little monsters I tell you!
  • The one-hour rule is for formula.

I would give it at the next feeding.  

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/reusing-expressedmilk.html 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"